Published: Tuesday, October 24, 2017 @ 5:34 PM
By: Nancy Bowman - Contributing Writer
UPDATE @ 2:46 p.m. (Oct. 25):
Testimony concluded this afternoon and the suspect in the case, Charles Hiser, did not testify on his own behalf.
The jury of seven women and five men will hear closing arguments Thursday morning and then the jury will begin deliberations.
If convicted, Hiser could be sentenced to life in prison.
INITIAL REPORT (Oct. 24):
Testimony began today during a Troy man’s child rape trial in Miami County Common Pleas Court.
Charles Hiser, 37, was indicted in May on numerous felony child sex charges, including two counts of rape of a person younger than 10 and six counts of rape of a person younger than 13. The allegations were said to have happened between February 2012 and late 2016 in Piqua and Troy, according to court records.
RELATED: Bond set in Troy child rape case
In opening statements, Assistant Prosecutor Janna Parker said Hiser’s accuser told her two friends she had been sexually abused. The friends then told a school counselor.
“This happened more times than she could count,” Parker said.
Hiser’s public defender said the only evidence against him is the girl’s allegations.
Hiser “repeatedly denied them, and forcefully,” attorney Steve Layman said of the charges. Layman said evidence would show “flawed investigative methods.”