Police fill courtroom for sentencing of ex-corrections officer who had sex with inmate

Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 1:02 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 1:22 PM

Nakisha Newell reads a statement to judge

A former Butler County corrections officer will serve a two-year prison sentence for having sex with an inmate in the Butler County Jail.

Nakisha Newell, 29, faced a maximum five-year prison sentence after pleading guilty in March to sexual battery, a third-degree felony.

MORE: Former corrections officer pleads guilty to having sex with inmate

Content Continues Below

The courtroom was ringed Thursday with deputes and court services officers as Newell read a statement to the judge before being sentenced.

“I understand I broke the law. Along with that, I am also aware that I shed a negative light on the sheriff’s office and disappointed all the honorable officers who work there,” Newell said. “I disappointed the community in which we live in and broke a huge level of trust.”

Newell, a mother of four, told the judge she was at “rock bottom” when she was arrested, but is trying to better her life.

“I will accept the sentence you give me, but I would really like a chance to show that I am not a bad person and that I have changed,” Newell said.

WHAT WE KNOW NOW: Fatal Monroe prom night crash

Newell’s defense attorney Mike Allen told Butler County Common Pleas Judge Greg Stephens that his client has taken responsibility for her actions from the “very beginning.”

“She cooperated fully with the investigation, not trying to dock responsibility,” Allen said, noting that Newell has found full-time employment.

The defense attorney also told the judge that up until this incident, Newell had been a law-abiding citizen.

“She is now in counseling,” Allen said, adding that “she has suffered for her actions.”

MORE: 60 people indicted in Butler, Warren counties

Stephens said he weighed several factors for sentencing, including that he believes Newell is “truly remorseful” and that she has no criminal background.

But, the judge said, while there was no a formal impact statement from the victim, the man reported he lost his dignity because of the situation and has been harassed by other inmates.

The judge told Newell she created a dangerous situation for her co-workers when she sneaked in a cell phone and an e-cigarette to the inmate, which could have been fashioned into a weapon or used for criminal purposes.

“You have cast dispersion on the integrity of the penal system. You have cast dispersion on the integrity of the entire criminal justice system,” Stephens said, adding it is difficult enough for officers to do their jobs without “the occasional bad apple making it harder.”

In addition to her jail sentence, Newell was also declared a Tier III sexual offender, meaning she must register her address for the rest of her life.

MORE: Sex offender designations: What’s the worst?

Newell, who was employed as a corrections officer for 18 months, had sex with the inmate between Oct. 14 and Nov. 24, 2017, according to the indictment.

She was indicted in December on two counts of sexual battery and illegal conveyance into a detention facility for smuggling contraband into the Hanover Street jail where she also had sex with the inmate.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Resident escapes Liberty Twp. house fire caused by lightning strike

Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 12:34 PM


            .
.

A resident escaped from a Liberty Twp. house Friday after it was struck by lightning as storms pounded the the area, according to to the Liberty Twp. Fire Department.

The two-story house was hit about 3:20 p.m., which ignited an attic fire at the residence in the 5400 block of Walkers Court, said Battalion Chief Chad Canupp.

FIRST REPORT : House fire reported in Liberty Twp.

Content Continues Below

“The occupant was alerted to the fire by smoke detectors,” Canupp said.

The fire was contained to the attic area, but the family has been displaced during the cleanup, he said.

A strong band of storms moved through the area from Central Kentucky to Montgomery County on Friday afternoon and evening, causing high winds, lightening and hail in some areas.

Trending - Most Read Stories

POLICE: 1 brother in custody, 1 found dead after 2-day search in Indiana

Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 2:55 PM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 11:36 AM

Multiple Agencies searching for fugitives wanted for child molestation in Indiana

UPDATE @ 11:36 a.m.:

One brother was taken into custody and the other was found dead from an apparent suicide after a two day search in Richmond, Indiana Saturday, according to a press release from the Richmond Police Department.

Gravesite for ‘Buckskin Girl’ gets new headstone with her name

Content Continues Below

Charles Estep, 27, was taken into custody by the Richmond Police Department SWAT team around 7:45 a.m. 

Alan Estep, 27, was found dead at the scene of an apparent suicide, according to the release.

Charles and Alan were both wanted for parole violation as well as child molesting, the release stated.

(Jeff Lane Kicks 96)

One of the men were seen in the area of Meijer, located at 2507 Chester Boulevard around 6:20 a.m. He was seen fleeing into a wooded area nearby.

Officers from multiple agencies set up a perimeter in the area and were able to locate Charles behind Meijer. He was transported to Wayne County Jail on his warrants. 

Alan was found dead at the scene south of where Charles was apprehended in the wooded area around 8:30 a.m.

Centerville boy found wandering alone for second time in a week

This case began out of Hamilton County, Indiana, according to the release.

Multiple agencies assisted with the search including, Richmond Police Department, Wayne County Sheriff’s Department, U.S. Marshall’s Service, Indiana State Police, Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department, Indiana University Police Department, Indiana DNR, Centerville Police Department, and the Wayne County Emergency Operations Center. 

Major Jon Bales of the Richmond Police Department credited cooperation and communication between agencies as a key competent to the success of this case.

UPDATE @ 10:07 a.m.:

Police out of Richmond, Indiana have confirmed the search for two fugitives wanted on child molestation charges has ended. 

Update July 21 @ 7:52 a.m.: 

Local, state, and federal officers are actively searching for two fugitives who fled police apprehension Friday afternoon in Richmond, Wayne County Regional Dispatch confirmed.

>>RELATED: Read more trending news on WHIO

Brothers Charles and Alan Estep, both wanted on child molestation charges, fled into a reservoir and then into a heavily wooded area at 1750 Sylvan Nook Drive, Richmond police said in a statement posted on their Facebook page.

The Estep brothers are both 27-years-old, Caucasian and 5 feet 9 inches tall. Charles weighs 150 lbs. with blonde hair and green eyes. Alan weighs 160 lbs. with brown hair and brown eyes.

SWAT teams, water crafts and drones piloted by the Richmond Fire Department have been used in the search. 

The fugitives are considered armed and dangerous. Police are urging anyone with information to call 911 immediately.

FIRST REPORT July 20 @ 2:49 p.m.:

Richmond Police and federal agents are searching for two possibly armed men who eluded them after a chase Friday afternoon on the north side of the Middlefork Reservoir area in Richmond, Indiana. 

The Wayne County 9-1-1 Center sent out two tweets alerting residents in the area to the manhunt. Reports are the two men are wanted on child molestation charges.

>>RELATED: Police seek public’s help in identifying Forterra break-in suspect

A man living in the area who contacted our newsroom said he and other residents were told by Richmond Police to stay indoors. The man added police suggested contacting them for an escort if you needed to go outside to get in to your vehicle.

The man told our newsroom a boat and a drone appeared to being used in the search. 

According to emergency dispatch the suspect eluded police during a foot chase and is now at large. Indiana University East issued an alert Friday stating their campus was on lockdown. The campus was later closed for the day as the manhunt continued.

We are working to learn more.  

Trending - Most Read Stories

Incident report not logged for reported Dayton shooting near Brown St.

Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 3:30 AM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 5:15 AM

UPDATE @ 5:15 a.m.:

Montgomery County Regional Dispatch confirmed officers did not log any reports after being called to the scene of a reported shooting in Dayton.

The incident was initially reported at approximately 2:59 a.m. Saturday near the 110 block of Brown Street. Scanner reports indicated a medic was requested for a shooting victim at the location.

Content Continues Below

The county dispatch confirmed officers were called to that location and were then moved to the 320 block of E. 5th St., but did not confirm whether or not a victim was found.

FIRST REPORT:

Police crews and a medic are en route to a reported shooting in the 110 block of Brown Street in Dayton, Montgomery County Regional Dispatch confirmed.

The shooting was reported at approximately 2:59 a.m. Saturday.

Scanner reports indicated there has been at least one victim, injuries unknown.

We are on our way to the scene and will update this story as more details become available. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Impact of 3-vehicle crash pushes car, SUV into McDonald’s lot in Springfield

Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 10:19 PM
Updated: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 11:00 PM

3-vehicle crash sent cars flying into Springfield McDonald's parking lot

UPDATE @ 11 p.m.

Alcohol may have been a factor in a three-vehicle crash Friday night that sent four people to area hospitals.

The impact of the crash around 9:10 p.m. in the 2300 block of East Main Street forced a red car and silver SUV off the roadway and into a McDonald’s parking lot.

Content Continues Below

>> Shooting of Springfield man ruled homicide; victim ID’d

According to witnesses, the driver of the red car pulled out of KFC and in front of a white pickup truck, which then struck it. The car then hit the SUV.

The driver of a red car was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in serious condition. Two passengers in the red car and the pickup driver were taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center. Their injuries were not life-threatening.

A woman and her children inside the SUV were not hurt, she said.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation by the Springfield Police Division.

FIRST REPORT

Multiple injuries were reported tonight in a three-vehicle crash on East Main Street.

The crash was reported around 9:10 p.m. in the 2300 block of East Main Street in front of McDonald’s and KFC.

>> OSP launches move over initiative this month

Main Street is down to one lane going eastbound, with the westbound lanes blocked.

There were crash victims taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center, but their names and the severity of injuries was not immediately available.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories