NEW DETAILS: Dayton detective who shot at suspect back to full duty

Published: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 @ 10:13 AM

Salem Ave Police Shootout

The Dayton police detective who fired his service weapon at a suspect who allegedly drove his vehicle at the officer returned to full duty on Monday, a police spokeswoman said.

Police said Det. Justin Saunders fired shots Jan. 20 during an investigation outside Lev’s Pawn Shop on Salem Avenue after the driver of a suspect vehicle “attempted to strike a detective with the vehicle,” according to a prepared statement from the department.

Joshua A. Craver and William Goodwin, both 18, were arrested at 3351 Salem Ave. by Riverside police. Both have been indicted on charges of aggravated robbery, burglary, theft of an elderly person and six counts of grand theft of firearms.

DASH-CAM: Video shows the moments after a police-involved shooting

The criminal probe is being done by the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and Dayton police will do an internal investigation. The case pertaining to whether Saunders would face any criminal charges was planned to be presented to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office this week.

Saunders, who has been with the Dayton police department since 2008 other than a brief tenure in Springfield, had been on paid administrative leave.

Saunders has met or exceeded all standards in all the yearly reviews provided by city officials, according to personnel records obtained by this news organization.

RELATED: Teen suspect shot by off-duty officer could face adult court, judge says

In the detective’s 2016 performance appraisal — the most recent available — Saunders gained highest marks for interpersonal skills, productivity, teamwork and judgment/initiative. Saunders also fired his weapon in a police-involved shooting in 2016.

A supervisor wrote that Saunders “takes an active role in becoming involved in a hands-on fashion when it comes to apprehending suspects and persons of interest.”

Saunders has had six written commendation or letters of appreciation from 2008 until 2016, according to personnel records obtained by this news organization.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

They included commendations for arresting two burglars, an arrest of a multi-county vehicle pursuit, the apprehension of three juvenile robbery suspects and his response to a sex offense call.

He had letters of appreciation for his work during a standoff that ended with the death of a man during a standoff and from the United States Secret Service for Saunders’ professionalism during a 2012 visit by then-First Lady Michelle Obama.

On Monday, Dayton police released dash cam video showing the moments just after Saunders fired his weapon. The video shows police and deputies arresting multiple people.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Two Dayton detectives who had been in the area working on an unrelated issue responded to the pawn shop after Riverside police requested them at 10:47 p.m. “due to stolen property from previous offenses being pawned at that location,” Dayton police said.

Dayton police Maj. Eric Henderson has said there were reports that a vehicle was spotted there that may have been involved in an aggravated burglary in Riverside, and that the suspects may have been trying to pawn stolen weapons stolen from that incident.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Two Mason boys sentenced, Springboro boy freed in school-threat cases

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 6:44 PM


            Two 13-year-old Mason boys on Wednesday were placed on probation and ordered to write an apologies for making threats against their school in separate incidents in April. In a third hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby released to his father a Clearcreek Twp. boy student charged with threatening to shoot up his school on May 15 with Nerf guns. STAFF/LAWRENCE BUDD
Two 13-year-old Mason boys on Wednesday were placed on probation and ordered to write an apologies for making threats against their school in separate incidents in April. In a third hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby released to his father a Clearcreek Twp. boy student charged with threatening to shoot up his school on May 15 with Nerf guns. STAFF/LAWRENCE BUDD

Two 13-year-old Mason boys on Wednesday were placed on probation and ordered to write an apologies for making threats against their school in separate incidents in April.

In a third hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby released to a Clearcreek Twp. boy to his father. The student was charged with threatening to shoot up his school on May 15 with Nerf guns.

RELATED: ‘See something, say something’ working for Springboro schools in threat incidents

Over the past three months, Kirby has presided over 15 or more school threat cases.

On Wednesday, the Mason boys appeared in separate hearings where they admitted to charges before being sentenced.

One boy was accused of “circulating a warning of an impending crime, namely someone wanting to shoot students at the Mason Middle School, knowing the warning to be false” on April 8, according to charging documents.

RELATED: 13-year-old stole friend’s identity to make on-line school threat in Mason

The threat, posted on the district’s Schoology page, contained “a great deal of vulgarity” indicated the boy was “impersonating a classmate, and that there was no credible threat to school or student safety,” according to a message from the district.

The other boy admitted “murmuring” a threat to shoot his teacher after being reprimanded for listening to videos with headphones during class on April 12.

RELATED: 2nd Mason boy charged in school threat case

Both passed polygraphs, admitted to inducing panic and received suspended detention sentences.

Kirby was harder on the boy who used his friend’s computer identity to make the threat. The friend’s parents said he had been shaken by the experience.

“Unbelievable,” Kirby said. “It sounds to me like you’re a jerk.”

MORE: Threat prompts cancellation of last day of school at Middletown High

In the other case, lawyer Ed Perry said violent video games arm the children with words like Glock, the kind of gun his client said he would use on his teacher, although he admitted during the hearing he didn’t know much about that type of gun.

“I don’t think the children appreciate what they are talking about,” Perry said.

Kirby released the Springboro student accused in a May 15 incident. Kirby barred the boy from access to weapons or the internet or school, which ends on Thursday, except for a hearing on whether he should be expelled. He is to return to court on June 20.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Nearly $4K of meth seized in Miami County traffic stop

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

Nearly $4,000 worth of methamphetamine was seized Saturday in Troy during a traffic stop on Interstate 75 and a man is now facing felony charges.

Brian Roose, 36, of Edgerton, was arrested near the Ohio 55 exit on I-75.

Roose allegedly had 74 grams of meth, a scale, packaging materials and other pieces of paraphernalia in his possession when troopers pulled him over around 11:25 a.m., troopers said.

2 teens arrested after Target break-in, pursuit in Huber Heights

Troopers said Roose also had a loaded rifle and a handgun in the vehicle.

Roose was booked into jail on suspicion of multiple drug and weapons charges, however was not listed as an inmate Wednesday.

If convicted, troopers said Roose could face up to 31 years in prison and a $42,500 fine.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Shots fired investigation blocks North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp.

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 11:12 AM

Police are investigating the scene on North Dixie Drive in Harrison Twp. following a report of shots fired.

A shots fired investigation has deputies blocking both directions of North Dixie Drive south of Needmore Road in Harrison Twp. Wednesday morning. 

TRENDING: Teen bound in Huber Heights, father’s body found 19 miles away in Springfield park

A man told our crew on the scene he was shot at, but was not injured. Dispatchers said this incident might have started nearby on Foxton Court.

Marshall Gorby/STAFF

No shooting victims have been found, however, scanner traffic indicates a medic unit was requested to the scene for someone suffering breathing problems around 10:30 a.m. 

Additional details were not available, we’ll update this page as we learn more. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man wanted for Indiana rape, strangulation arrested in Hamilton

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 5:19 PM


            Shawn D. Jones, a former Butler County resident, was arrested last weekend in Hamilton on sexual assault charges from Wayne County, Ind.
Shawn D. Jones, a former Butler County resident, was arrested last weekend in Hamilton on sexual assault charges from Wayne County, Ind.

A former Butler County resident was arrested last weekend in Hamilton on sexual assault charges from Wayne County, Ind.

Shawn D. Jones, 41, was booked into the Butler County Jail at 1:23 a.m. Sunday after he was located in the 600 block of East Avenue.

Jones was taken into custody after police learned he may be in the city. He was spotted on the porch of a house and arrested, according to Hamilton Sgt. Brian Robinson

MORE: Man exposed himself at West Chester Kroger, police say

On May 17, an arrest warrant was issued by Indiana law enforcement for Jones’ arrest for rape, aggravated battery, criminal confinement and strangulation, all felonies, according to an article in the Palladium-Item newspaper.

Jones, formerly of St. Clair Avenue in Hamilton, allegedly punched a woman in the face and beat her with a belt May 5 in her Richmond, Ind., home, according to court records. He also allegedly tried to hit the woman with an electric heater, but she blocked the blow with her arm, which resulted in a broken bone, according to court records.

Jones is also accused of sexually assaulting the woman multiple times and of choking her to the point she could not breathe.

MORE: Young victims in court as man arraigned for alleged sex acts with children

He waived an extradition hearing this week in Butler County Common Pleas Court and is awaiting transport back to Indiana.

Jones was convicted in Butler County in November of misdemeanor assault and trafficking in cocaine, according to Butler County court records. He was sentenced to 180 days in the county jail and six months in prison, but had already served those days waiting disposition of his case, according to records.

Trending - Most Read Stories