breaking news

breaking news


MTV's 'Siesta Key' star under investigation for shark-shooting video

Published: Sunday, August 06, 2017 @ 7:39 AM

14 Astonishing Facts about Sharks

Florida wildlife officials are investigatingviral video that appears to show Alex Kompothecras of MTV’s show “Siesta Key” shooting a shark.

>> See a news report that includes an edited version of the clip (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised)

According to the Bradenton Herald and New York Post, the video was circulated online over the past few days and has been drawing outrage. It shows a man wearing a red hat shooting a shark in the gills twice before laughing as it dangled helplessly on a fishing line. The man in the video is reportedly believed to be Kompothecras, who was previously pictured wearing the same “Make America Great Again” hat and posing with a dead hammerhead on MTV’s Facebook page.

>> VIDEO: Man shoots shark with gun, laughs as it bleeds

Kompothecras later deleted the video and other offensive images of wildlife from his Instagram page, telling People, “There are images of me, and I feel horrible.”

Loving life Siesta Key #SiestaKey

Posted by Alex Kompothecras on Friday, July 14, 2017

>> Man in shark-dragging video asks for increased police patrols

“I’ve made my share of bad decisions, and I feel horrible, but all I can say is that I would not make those decisions again,” he told People. “I was being stupid, but I’ve grown from that. It’s an eye-opener for me because it’s made me think long and hard about things I’ve done, and I’ve learned from that. This has all been a shocking experience.”

>> Watch: Shark dragged by boaters; FWC investigates

The video comes just after another video showing a shark being dragged to death by a boat went viral. Kompothecras reportedly has admitted to knowing the man responsible for that incident but said that he doesn’t “agree with what he did.”

>> Read more trending news

While it’s legal to shoot sharks in federal waters, it’s illegal to do so in Florida waters.

Trending - Most Read Stories

What a judge ordered after a Greenon student admitted to crashing off road, killing fellow student

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 11:38 AM

The driver in an October crash that killed a Greenon student admitted to a charge of vehicular manslaughter and is due in court today for a disposition hearing, according to the Clark County Juvenile Clerk of Court’s office.

UPDATE @ 11:30 a.m.

Andrew Scott was ordered to pay a fine and other undergo other punishments this morning after admitting to a charge of vehicular manslaughter in Clark County Juvenile Court.

A judge ordered Scott to pay a max fine of $200 and court costs, be placed on indefinite probation, undergo a license suspension of six months, take a driving course and speak at an assembly about distracted driving.

INITIAL REPORT

The driver in an October crash that killed a Greenon student admitted to a charge of vehicular manslaughter and is due in court today for a disposition hearing, according to the Clark County Juvenile Clerk of Court’s office.

MORE: Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

Andrew Scott was 16 when he drove his vehicle off of Fowler Road between Rebert Pike and Broadway Road and struck a pole in Clark County, the Ohio Highway State Patrol said. The crash killed his passenger, Greenon junior Kendal “Kenny” DePhillip, authorities said. Scott is also a Greenon student.

Speed and inattention were suspected to be the causes of the crash, Ohio State Highway Patrol Sgt. Richard Dixon said.

Scott is set to go before Clark County Juvenile Judge Robert Vaughn.

READ: Teens killed in car crashes remembered, reminder of safety needs

Scott was charged in February with vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter and failure to control after a months-long investigation into the crash.

The Clark County Juvenile Clerk of Court’s office said Scott admitted to the vehicular manslaughter charge and prosecutors agreed to dismiss the vehicular homicide and failure to control charges.

Admitting to a charge in juvenile court is similar to pleading guilty in adult criminal court.

REMEMBERING THE VICTIMS: Greenon mourns 3rd student death in 2 months in fatal car crashes

DePhillip was the third Greenon student to die in a fatal crash last fall over just a few months span. His death followed an August crash that killed senior David Waag and sophomore Connor Williams.

Here’s a video from coverage of the crash in October:

A 16-year-old Greenon High School student was killed Sunday in a car crash in Enon — the third student in the district to die in a fatal accident this school year.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ex-Kettering sub teacher to be sentenced today for sex with students

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 6:13 AM

Madeline Marx Subbed as a teacher in Kettering and Oakwood schools in the past year. Her case will go to a grand jury.

Kettering Fairmont substitute teacher Madeline J. Marx is scheduled to be sentenced today on sexual battery charges in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Marx, 24, pleaded and was found guilty of having an inappropriate sexual relationship with two students and was arrested last November. She is to appear today in front of Judge Steven Dankof.

RELATED: Miamisburg school worried ex-teacher flirted a year before sex charges

A 17-year-old student told police he was given oral sex by a teacher July 19 in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike, according to the complaint, affidavit and statement of facts filed in court.

A 16-year-old boy told police he had intercourse with a substitute teacher Sept. 21 in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Smithville Road, according to court documents.

Marx was removed from Fairmont’s building Nov. 8 by police. Marx admitted to having sexual relationships with multiple students, according to court documents.

RELATED: Substitute teacher accused of sex with two students seeks insanity plea

An affidavit said Marx also confessed to sending several nude pictures via Snapchat and Instagram.

A prosecutor’s office press release indicated Marx also substitute taught in Oakwood. School officials in Oakwood sent parents a letter saying that they did not know of any victims in their school district.

State records indicated Marx has a four-year teaching license as a K-12 education intervention specialist.

RELATED: What we’ve learned about Madeline Marx

Marx graduated in 2012 from Chaminade Julienne High School in Dayton and graduated from the University of Dayton in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in education, according to CJ and UD officials.

According to her UD transcript included in her personnel file, Marx withdrew from a fall 2013 class on sexual ethics.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kettering teen murder suspect in court today as trial nears

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 7:09 AM


            The case against Kylen Gregory is scheduled to be back in court today. NICK BLIZZARD/STAFF
The case against Kylen Gregory is scheduled to be back in court today. NICK BLIZZARD/STAFF

A Kettering teen accused of murdering a Fairmont High School student in 2016 is set to return to court today after a judge said most evidence questioned by his attorneys can be part of the trial.

A hearing in advance of the May 7 trial of Kylen Gregory, who turned 18 last month, is scheduled this afternoon before Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Langer.

RELATED: Trial of Kettering teen set for May

Langer recently ruled much of the evidence collected after the deadly shooting of Ronnie Bowers Sept. 4, 2016, will be admissible. He ruled a warrant for telephone records of two of Gregory’s relatives “failed to provide probable cause” for that evidence to be used in the case.

Gregory was 16 years old when the shooting occurred on Willowdale Avenue, and he is being tried as an adult on two counts of murder and related charges.

RELATED: Judges’ rulings touch on Sixth, First Amendment issues

Authorities and witnesses have said Gregory fatally shot the 16-year-old Bowers while the victim attempted to drive away from a confrontation.

Bowers died two days later - just after hours after Gregory and two other teens were initially charged in juvenile court – in what was ruled Kettering’s first gun-related homicide since 2007.

-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Ruling allows victim’s remains in court before trial

RELATED: Judge restricts media access in Kettering homicide case

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trotwood police investigate fatal shooting at Pinewood Gardens apartments

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:17 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:40 AM

At least 1 dead in Trotwood shooting

Residents reported hearing eight to 10 gunshots in a deadly shooting Wednesday night at the Pinewood Gardens apartments.

Shortly after midnight, an investigator with the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office was on the way to the complex on Pinewood Circle off West Main Street between End and High streets.

>> Meth poisoning sickens 14 jail staff Tuesday, Wednesday in Darke County

Medics and police were called sometime after 11 p.m. after there were reports of eight to 10 shots fired, according to the Miami County Regional Dispatch Center.

Residents reported hearing gunshots and then seeing ambulances, fire trucks and police cruisers at the rear of the parking lot.

In a 911 call to dispatchers, one resident reported that the multitude of shots actually forced them to get down on the floor inside of the apartment.  

>> Police: Knife-wielding man robs 2 Dollar General stores less than 2 miles apart

It was not immediately clear how many people were shot or injured by the gunfire, nor whether police have any suspects.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories