3 more Warren County schoolchildren to take polygraphs in threat cases

Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 12:02 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 08, 2018 @ 9:45 AM


            Warren County Juvenile Court Judge Joe Kirby is expected to hold hearings Friday and Monday to decide if three students accused of making school threats should be released from detention. LAWRENCE BUDD/STAFF
Warren County Juvenile Court Judge Joe Kirby is expected to hold hearings Friday and Monday to decide if three students accused of making school threats should be released from detention. LAWRENCE BUDD/STAFF

Three Warren County schoolchildren are to return to court on Friday or Monday to determine whether they should remain in detention, after taking polygraph tests.

The students ranging in age from 12 to 15 years old are among seven charged in connection with alleged school threats made in the days following the deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla., on Feb. 14.

Hearings scheduled for a 12-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl on Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court to determine whether they should remain in detention were delayed so they could undergo polygraph tests.

Judge Joe Kirby is urging juveniles charged in connection with alleged school threats made in the days following the shootings at Marjory Stoneham Douglas High School to take and pass polygraphs before he will release them, while their charges are pending.

The dates and times of their hearings were unavailable this morning.

On Tuesday, two other students in school threat cases were released to their parents after passing polygraphs.

MORE: Boys facing school threat charges released from detention after passing polygraphs

According to court records, a 12-year-0ld South Lebanon boy allegedly “wrote a threatening letter, threatening another student in the school and threatening that he wanted to shoot up the school” on Feb. 23 - nine days after the latest deadly school shooting.

MORE: Polygraphs required in four school threat detention cases

The 15-year-old Lebanon girl allegedly “threatened to kill and to stab a teacher at the high school on two occasions” on Feb. 20, according to court records.

MORE: Dayton police say threat of gun at Belmont High unfounded

Also a 14-year-old boy is accused on Feb. 18 of sending a Snapchat of him holding a realistic toy gun to a friend’s head that left other students worried he would bring a gun to school in the days following the fatal shooting of 17 people at the school outside Miami.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Tipster leads California authorities to felon’s stash of 553 guns, police say

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

Pictured are the 553 guns seized after Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials received a tip about a convicted felon in possession of a large arsenal of weapons. Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested on multiple weapons charges Thursday, June 14, 2018.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Pictured are the 553 guns seized after Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials received a tip about a convicted felon in possession of a large arsenal of weapons. Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested on multiple weapons charges Thursday, June 14, 2018.(Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department)

A tip called in to Los Angeles County authorities led investigators to seize a total of 553 guns from a convicted felon last week, officials said.

Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested Thursday on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms, possession of an assault rifle, being a felon in possession of ammunition and possession of large-capacity magazines, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials. He was released on bond the following day.

Sheriff’s Department officials said in a news release Monday that deputies at the department’s Palmdale station received a tip about a felon in possession of a “large arsenal of firearms.” Detectives, along with agents from the California Department of Justice, obtained a search warrant for Fernandez’s home in Agua Dulce. 

Agua Dulce is located about 20 miles northeast of Santa Clarita, near Angeles National Forest. 

>> Read more trending news

Investigators found a total of 432 guns during the execution of the first search warrant at Fernandez’s home, the news release said. That search led them to a second home in Agua Dulce connected to Fernandez.

A total of 30 guns were found at that home, which belongs to a woman described by authorities as a female associate of Fernandez’s. The woman, who was not home Monday and has not returned since the search, is expected to face charges.

A second warrant served at Fernandez’s home led investigators to find another 91 weapons hidden in the house, the news release said. 

“Detectives also seized computers, cellphones and hard drives from the residence believed to be involved in the illicit purchase of firearms by the suspect,” the news release said

A photo released by the Sheriff’s Department shows rifles and other weapons piled into the bed of a Ford F-150 pickup truck. Other pictures show the massive cache of weapons laid out on a patio at the station.  

Pictured are some of the weapons seized after Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials received a tip about a convicted felon in possession of a large arsenal of weapons. Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested on multiple weapons charges Thursday, June 14, 2018.(Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department)

The number of weapons seized was so large that investigators brought in agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to assist in tracing the purchase history of the guns, authorities said. 

“This case is a testament to the community’s involvement in reducing crime and taking guns out of the hands of criminals,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell said in a statement.

McDonnell said the response by his personnel, as well as state and federal officials, shows the positive result of the Sheriff’s Department’s “See Something, Say Something” campaign.

“We are proud of the relationship we have built in the Antelope Valley area as we continue to build trust with the communities we serve,” the sheriff said

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police, medics called for stabbing victim in his late 70s

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 8:20 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 3:46 AM

Police, medics called for stabbing victim in his 70s

Springfield police are investigating after a 79-year-old man was stabbed Tuesday evening.

The incident was reported around 8 p.m. in the 2100 block of Gerald Drive. The victim, who has not been identified, was transported to Miami Valley Hospital.

>> Man stabbed by 15-year-old girl after attacking her pregnant mother

According to his neighbors, he was alert and talking to medics following the incident, and he said he was stabbed by a relative.

Everyone knows the victim, neighbors said. They described him as a nice man who is quick to help out his neighbors.

According to initial reports, the victim suffered wounds to the chest and leg.

Springfield police Lt. Jeff Williams said detectives were at the scene and that no further information would be released until Wednesday.

>> Springfield police seek public’s help in deadly shooting outside Wagon Wheel bar

The incident remains under investigation and no one is in custody, Williams said.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Arrest made after man shot in head in Dayton

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 10:59 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 5:46 AM

Man shot in Dayton

UPDATE @5:43 a.m.

An arrest has been made after a man was shot in the head Tuesday evening.

Marcus Antonio White, 21, was arrested in the 200 block of Cherrywood Avenue at 2:37 a.m., according to a Dayton police report and Montgomery County Jail records.

He was booked into jail on a charge of felonious assault.

>> Miami Valley’s Most Wanted

FIRST REPORT

A man who was shot in the head Tuesday night drove to a Speedway gas station for help.

The victim was shot through his vehicle’s window in the 100 block of Huffman Avenue near Jersey Street. The shooting was reported just before 10 p.m. after the victim drove himself to Speedway, 1556 Huffman Ave., to get help, police said.

>> Dayton man stabs dog that charged at him and his puppy

According to a 911 call from the store, the victim went into the store and said he was shot while inside his car by another man driving a maroon vehicle.

The victim was taken to Miami Valley Hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening, Dayton police said. His name, age and condition were not immediately available.

Huffman Avenue at South Smithville Road is blocked as police investigate.

Police have not released any suspect information or whether anyone is in custody.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Grand jury next for Springboro arrest streamed live on Facebook

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

Springboro Sgt. Randy Peagler was questioned about a police stop streamed on Facebook Live.

A Warren County grand jury will review the case against Samuel Ronan, the former political candidate arrested earlier this month after a struggle with Springboro police.

Judge Gary Loxley bound over the case against Ronan, 28, of Springboro, after ruling there was probable cause to indicate he obstructed justice on June 9.

RELATED: Ex-political candidate free after alleged Springboro road rage

Loxley ruled immediately after a hearing on Tuesday in Warren County Court.

During the hearing, Assistant County Prosecutor Amy Gill and defense lawyer James Calhoun questioned Springboro Sgt. Randy Peagler, the officer who reportedly pulled over Ronan after observing him in a road-rage incident.

Peagler told Gill he followed Ronan for about 0.3 miles after turning on his lights and sirens and that Ronan went back to his car and began walking toward him with a blue bag and his cellphone, flash on and recording for Facebook Live.

RELATED: Former political candidate jailed after Springboro police stop

Peagler said he hurt his foot and suffered road rash wrestling with Ronan, who recently contested the re-election of Congressman Steve Chabot in the May primary.

Calhoun established that Ronan, a member of the U.S. Air Force Reserves, never put his hands on Peagler during the altercation and that Ronan, although permitted to carry a concealed weapon, was apparently unarmed.

RELATED: Recent congressional candidate arrested while streaming live on Facebook

Calhoun also emphasized that Ronan said he didn’t see Peagler’s police cruiser until he pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex and said there was no “overt act” that supported the felony charge.

Calhoun said Ronan was within his rights to ask why he was being arrested before getting on the ground as ordered repeatedly by Peagler, with his gun and then a stun gun drawn.

But Loxley agreed with Gill, who argued Ronan “absolutely” obstructed justice by resisting being taken into custody by Peagler and another officer who assisted in handcuffing him.

RELATED: Police pressed about Springboro teacher’s drug bust

In addition to the felony, misdemeanor charges of resisting arresting and failure to comply with an officer were also bound over for presentation to the grand jury by county prosecutors.

Trending - Most Read Stories