Middletown police are warning residents of “unscrupulous tree trimmers” who have been taking advantage of elderly people.
The police department posted its warning Tuesday on its Facebook page.
One incident was thwarted, but the culprits were paid in another incident.
Police remind residents that door-to-door solicitors need a permit in the city. Call police if tree trimmers knock on your door uninvited.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine offers tips to avoid tree-trimming scams. Beware of a tree trimmer who:
- Comes to your door unexpectedly
- Says your trees are diseased
- Requires a large down payment
- Accepts only cash or check
- Says nothing about your right to cancel
- Starts work immediately