Middletown father sentenced for following females, exposing himself

Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 11:35 AM

Middletown Man sentence for public indecency

A Middletown man was sentenced to jail on Tuesday after pleading guilty to two counts of misdemeanor public indecency for separate incidents in January.

David M. Smith, 33, of the 3800 block of Jewell Avenue, told Middletown Municipal Court Judge James Sherron, “I am truly sorry … I am embarrassed. I have embarrassed my family.”

He was charged after Middletown police said Smith had been following females in his car and exposing himself.

MORE: Middletown man accused of exposing himself surrenders to police

Defense attorney Steve Kilburn told the judge that Smith is a married father of two young children and has entered treatment.

“He was cooperative with the investigation,” Kilburn said. “He has taken this seriously. He has taken steps to make sure this never happens again.”

Sherron told Smith he had to consider the safety of the community when handing down his sentence. The judge sentenced Smith to 180 days in jail on the first charge and a suspended 60 days in jail on the second. Smith was handcuffed and taken downstairs to begin serving his sentence.

On Jan. 6, a female mail carrier reported a heavyset man in an orange car was sitting in the car masturbating as she delivered mail on Barnitz Street.

MORE: Middletown woman pleads guilty to dumping overdose woman’s body in the woods

In a Jan. 16 report, a parent reported his daughter got off the school bus on Malvern Street and a man in an orange vehicle followed her. When the car passed her and began to turn around, the girl said she took off running.

A parent also reported on Jan. 18 that a suspicious man followed her home down Henry Avenue and made her feel uncomfortable, according to the police report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Grand jury next for Springboro arrest streamed live on Facebook

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

Springboro Sgt. Randy Peagler was questioned about a police stop streamed on Facebook Live.

A Warren County grand jury will review the case against Samuel Ronan, the former political candidate arrested earlier this month after a struggle with Springboro police.

Judge Gary Loxley bound over the case against Ronan, 28, of Springboro, after ruling there was probable cause to indicate he obstructed justice on June 9.

RELATED: Ex-political candidate free after alleged Springboro road rage

Loxley ruled immediately after a hearing on Tuesday in Warren County Court.

During the hearing, Assistant County Prosecutor Amy Gill and defense lawyer James Calhoun questioned Springboro Sgt. Randy Peagler, the officer who reportedly pulled over Ronan after observing him in a road-rage incident.

Peagler told Gill he followed Ronan for about 0.3 miles after turning on his lights and sirens and that Ronan went back to his car and began walking toward him with a blue bag and his cellphone, flash on and recording for Facebook Live.

RELATED: Former political candidate jailed after Springboro police stop

Peagler said he hurt his foot and suffered road rash wrestling with Ronan, who recently contested the re-election of Congressman Steve Chabot in the May primary.

Calhoun established that Ronan, a member of the U.S. Air Force Reserves, never put his hands on Peagler during the altercation and that Ronan, although permitted to carry a concealed weapon, was apparently unarmed.

RELATED: Recent congressional candidate arrested while streaming live on Facebook

Calhoun also emphasized that Ronan said he didn’t see Peagler’s police cruiser until he pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex and said there was no “overt act” that supported the felony charge.

Calhoun said Ronan was within his rights to ask why he was being arrested before getting on the ground as ordered repeatedly by Peagler, with his gun and then a stun gun drawn.

But Loxley agreed with Gill, who argued Ronan “absolutely” obstructed justice by resisting being taken into custody by Peagler and another officer who assisted in handcuffing him.

RELATED: Police pressed about Springboro teacher’s drug bust

In addition to the felony, misdemeanor charges of resisting arresting and failure to comply with an officer were also bound over for presentation to the grand jury by county prosecutors.

Trending - Most Read Stories

UPDATE: Brock Turner headed back to court next month

Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

Brock Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender. GREENE COUNTY SHERIFF / CONTRIBUTED
Brock Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender. GREENE COUNTY SHERIFF / CONTRIBUTED

UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, July 19

Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction will be held next month, according to court documents.  

The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard July 24 in San Jose, California.

UPDATE @ 10 a.m., Monday, May 21

Brock Turner’s attorney has asked the court to reschedule oral arguments in his appeal case, according to a court docket. A new date has not yet been scheduled.

ORIGINAL STORY

Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction are scheduled for next month, according to a California appellate court spokesman.

The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard by a panel of three justices from California’s Sixth District Court of Appeal. Turner’s counsel and the state’s attorney will present arguments and answer questions during the June 28 hearing in San Jose, California.

MORE: Brock Turner case: What led to Stanford assault?

The justices will then deliberate and later issue an opinion, said Cathal Conneely, the court’s spokesman.

The scheduling comes as Turner’s legal team drops several claims that would have allowed a re-trial or a re-sentencing on one or more counts, according to a court document filed by Turner’s attorney, Eric Multhaup.

The decision to withdraw a handful of the claims, Multhaup wrote, “was reached in large part out of consideration for appellant’s (Turner’s) family and out of consideration for Jane Doe and her family.”

Doe is the unidentified victim in the 2015 sexual assault at Stanford University. The 2016 case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.

MORE: Brock Turner’s classmates describe Oakwood party culture

A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.

Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender — Ohio’s most-strict classification.

In a court filing earlier this year, the state’s attorney argued there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”

Turner’s attorney declined comment. Doe’s family friend, Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, also declined comment.

Read more coverage:

» Queen of Hearts card game legal in Ohio — for now

» Dayton police: Man jumps to his death from county parking garage

»Secret Service investigating Riverside computer attack

»PHOTOS: $1.89 million luxury home built by Charles Kettering for sale

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton man stabs dog that charged at him and his puppy

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 1:38 PM


            City of Dayton police responded to a report of a dangerous dog in the 100 block of Malden Street on Monday. A man stabbed the dog in the throat and told police the animal had charged at him and his puppy after earlier threatening three women in the area. FILE
City of Dayton police responded to a report of a dangerous dog in the 100 block of Malden Street on Monday. A man stabbed the dog in the throat and told police the animal had charged at him and his puppy after earlier threatening three women in the area. FILE

Dayton Police Department officers found evidence of possible dog fighting after a loose dog charged a man and his puppy, prompting the man to kill the loose dog.

Two DPD officers arrived in the 100 block of Malden Street in Dayton after a man reported a dangerous animal in the area, according to a police incident report. At about 8:30 p.m., the caller was on his front porch and the loose dog charged the caller and his puppy and he stabbed the dog in the throat with a rod, he told officers. The dog retreated to its yard.

MORE: Ohio police dog struck, killed by car: ‘Play ball in heaven, my buddy’

The officers found the dog — which appeared to be a brown bull mastiff — dead in the grass at the north side of the property. The dog had been loose all day, according to the report.

Around noon, the dog had charged three women walking down the street, and the man said he chased it away from them with a gardening tool.

Caged on the property were five or six dogs of varying sizes, according to the report, and another dog was barking inside the residence. The dogs appeared to be the same breed as the dead dog. One of the doors to the cages was open, and there was a large hole in the fence. The caller told officers that no one appeared to live at the residence, but he had seen vehicles coming and going.

MORE: Tons of trash, overpowering stench at Moraine site of raid

Officers could not tell whether the animals had food or water. They also saw a post in the middle of the yard and a chain hanging from a tree, which “can often be indicators of dog fighting,” according to the report.

An officer knocked on the door of the residence and said it smelled like something was dead inside. He could not see inside the residence well enough to gauge the welfare of the dog inside.

The officers photographed the dead dog and the living conditions of the other dogs and attempted to close the hole in the fence.

MORE: Pit bull that killed dachshund has been euthanized, foster family learns in court

The Montgomery County Animal Resource Center was unable to respond to the incident on Monday but was to send someone to the address Tuesday, according to the report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police investigating Wesleyan MetroPark shooting

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 12:39 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 1:11 AM

Dayton police are investigating a shooting in the road across from  Wesleyan MetroPark, according to the report.

Police were dispatched to Wesleyan Road at Princeton Drive around 12:55 a.m. Tuesday.

>> >> Ex-employee convicted of felony theft from Dayton charter school

The gunshot victim, a 29-year-old female, was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital, read the report.

The victim’s condition was not immediately available.

Police reportedly did not locate any shell casings, blood or signs of a fight at the scene.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories