log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 @ 10:37 AM
Updated: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 @ 1:20 PM
An Indianapolis man has been indicted on additional charges in connection with the robbery of a Springfield pharmacy and the alleged tying up of store employees.
Tyrez Boyd, 24, was indicted on eight counts of aggravated drug possession, aggravated drug trafficking and kidnapping. he previously was indicted on one count of aggravated robbery and six counts of kidnapping.
Police were called Dec. 5 to the Harding Road Pharmacy on Harding Road for a robbery in progress involving a gun. A witness who tried to enter the store said the door was locked and he saw a man robbing the store. An employee also dialed 9-1-1 to say that two suspects with a gun were there.
One of the suspects ran out the door carrying a white trash bag with bottles inside, according to court documents.
The suspect was able to get away but dropped the bag of stolen items, the officer said in the affidavit. Then the officer allegedly saw a second suspect running through the pharmacy. The suspect was identified as Boyd in the affidavit and he allegedly also ran out of the store with a trash bag.
“I chased him on foot west and around the building northbound into the parking lot,” the court documents say. “He continued to the rear fence line. I caught up to him and he climbed an eight-foot privacy fence. I grabbed his jacket and he pulled over the top of the fence and dropping the bag of stolen narcotics in the process.”
The officer collected the bag, the report says, and returned it to the store where he allegedly found three women with their hands tied behind their back.
“They advised that the suspects tied them up after Mr. Boyd pointed a gun at (one of the women),” the affidavit says.
The woman said the men allegedly were after oxycontin.
TRENDING STORY: Clark County health district tips to avoid getting the flu
Boyd was later arrested in the Ridgewood neighborhood, according to court documents. He was identified by the woman as one of the alleged suspects.
Clark County Prosecutor Andrew Wilson reports the grand jury met and also returned the following indictments this week:
Anthony D. Edwards, 18: Aggravated robbery, two counts of kidnapping.
Javon L. Reid, 18, Dayton: Aggravated robbery, two counts of kidnapping.
Kelly G. McCormick, 33, 1002 Mavor St.: Theft.
Jimmarko Shepherd, 23: Two counts of aggravated robbery.
Andy McConnell III, 23, Grovetown, Ga.: Aggravated robbery.
Ashley Waldron, 24, 1940 Primm Dr., Apt. G: Four counts of child endangerment, operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Lionel Triplett III, 42, 885 Stone Crossing Ln., Apt. C: Theft.
Connor D. Leonard, 21: Burglary, breaking and entering.
Jimmy R. Hunt, South Bend, Ind.: Burglary, breaking and entering.
Michael P. Williams, 40, A1705 Magnolia Blvd.: Receiving stolen property.
Brennan Hill, 28, 1034 Jasper St.: Trafficking in marijuana, possession of marijuana.
Christina Spencer, 40, 101 N. Western Ave.: Aggravated drug possession.
Nicholas Lakes, 31, Farmersville: Aggravated burglary.
Orville Lakes, 23, Farmersville: Aggravated burglary.
Stacee Hitchins, 32, 417 Vine St.: Aggravated drug possession.
James R. Newell, 37, 4420 Ridgewood Dr.: Possession of cocaine.
William Sowers, 48, 752 N. Burnett Rd.: Felonious assault, domestic violence, kidnapping, abduction.
Published: Saturday, May 19, 2018 @ 6:30 PM
Updated: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 7:23 AM
DAYTON — Update@4:17 p.m.:
Jackie Allen, Wheatley’s niece, flew to Dayton from Atlanta as soon as she heard about her aunt’s death.
“It’s disgusting, this violence, taking innocent people away from their families and stuff,” she said. “You took a lady from our family but you also took a grandmother who took care of 10 and 11-year-old boys.
Antwand Warren, Wheatley’s son, said Monday that he can’t fathom why anyone would shoot his mother. She was a wholesome person who helped everyone and had no enemies or no flaws, he said.
“That was my mom, I loved her,” said Warren, who is a quadriplegic. “She was my angel, she was my everything, and somebody snatched that away from me.”
Warren said one of the t hings he will miss most about his mother is her cooking. She cooked everything Southern style, he said she he choked up.
“ I want justice. That’s all, I want justice,” he said.
Wheatley had previously been the victim of violence. Four years ago was stabbed multiple times in her neck and other parts of her body. She told police then that she and Warren were attacked by her husband Stanley Wheatley, 48, because she wouldn’t give him money to buy crack.
Stanley Wheatley was sentenced to prison for the attacks.
Wheatley, a grandmother, had just fed some neighborhood dogs and was walking back to her home when she was shot, neighbors said Monday. She died about a half block from home, neighbors said.
There’s a makeshift memorial where Wheatley died, and it continues to grow.
Meanwhile, a man called 911 after hearing shots fired and seeing Wheatley lying on the ground, according to the 911 recording.
“Someone just got shot on Euclid... a lady is lying on the sidewalk,” the unidentified man said, later adding that he heard 12-15 shots.
An innocent bystander was fatally shot Saturday evening when she was walking near a house targeted by a drive-by shooting, police said.
Sherrell Wheatley, 62, of Dayton was the woman shot and killed, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.
Wheatley was an innocent bystander who suffered at least one gunshot wound as she was walking in the 800 block of North Euclid Avenue around 6:10 p.m. She was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where she succumbed to her injuries, Dayton police Sgt. Creigee Coleman said.
“A vehicle driven by a male had another male inside the vehicle, and that male fired several rounds towards an unknown house in an attempt to probably cause damage to that house,” Coleman said.
The passenger fired five or six rounds, he said.
Aaron Taylor said the woman was his great aunt.
“I just happened to pull up, see my auntie in the grass dead,” he said.
He described his aunt as a sweet lady and matriarch of his family and the community.
“Definitely innocent bystander walking up the street,” Taylor said.
Police are searching for a silver Ford Taurus or similar four-door car, and also are asking for the public’s help to come forward with any information.
“Now this is a situation where a person was indiscriminately firing a weapon, a large-caliber weapon from what I’ve been told, at a house and a person who was innocent just happened to be walking by and got hit by a bullet that has no eyes,” Coleman said.
Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 3:43 PM
DAYTON — A woman who lives across the street from the 62-year-old victim of a drive-by shooting said Monday that her home was struck by bullets that may have also killed Sherrell Wheatley on Saturday.
Kenya Schumpert said she’d just left her Superior Avenue home to run an errand when she received a call to return home quickly.
She arrived home and found bullet holes in her upstairs window and walls of several rooms in her home.
“I’m like wow, it was a powerful gun to get holes this big in your house,” Schumpert said. “If we had been going up and down the stairs, we would be gone too.”
Schumpert said neighbors told her that they heard between 12 and 15 shots, so many some kids thought it was fireworks.
She says when she realized her friend Wheatley had been killed by one of the bullets fired in the drive-by attack, she couldn’t believe it.
“My feelings was hurt so bad when I found out about that because she didn’t have a chance to duck, just trying to get home when this happened.”
Schumpert and others in the neighborhood say Wheatley had just finished feeding a friend’s dogs and was walking back about a half block to her own home.
“This is sad right now, she’s going to be missed dearly,” a neighbor said.
Dayton police say they are looking for a silver Ford Taurus or similar car, reported leaving the area after the fatal gunfire.
Published: Saturday, May 19, 2018 @ 8:44 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 2:43 p.m.:
Two men are facing felony charges after a 28-year-old woman was pulled into a Dayton house, where she was sexually attacked and held against her will, according to court records.
The victim was reportedly walking her bicycle in the 700 block of Xenia Avenue Friday, when a man, later identified as Carlos Martin, was smoking a cigarette on his porch, court records read.
“(The victim) asked Martin for a cigarette and he invited her up onto the porch,” an affidavit filed in municipal court read. “Martin went inside and while (the victim) was waiting on the porch she was dragged into the residence by Martin.”
Martin is charged with attempted rape, kidnapping, abduction and gross sexual imposition. He remained in jail Monday on a $250,000 bond.
The victim told police Martin dragged her upstairs and allegedly had sexual contact with her, the documents read.
Martin also was accused of locking the door refusing to let her leave.
Later, another man identified as Reginald Gardner Sr., 49, showed up at the house and watched the victim to make sure she didn’t leave the house, court records showed.
Gardner is charged with kidnapping and abduction and is being held on a $250,000 bond.
A short time later an unidentified woman came to the house and left a door open, where the victim was able to escape and call 911.
Both men made initial appearances in Dayton Municipal Court Monday.
INITIAL REPORT (May 19):
Two men were arrested Friday night on sex-related charges at a Xenia Avenue duplex.
Carlos Rico Martin, 49, was arrested just after 10 p.m. Friday at his residence in the 1500 block of Xenia Avenue. Reginald B. Gardner Sr. also 49, was arrested at 11 p.m. at the same residence, according to a Dayton police report.
They were booked early Saturday into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of kidnapping and gross sexual imposition and are due Monday in Dayton Municipal Court, online jail records show.
Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 @ 1:25 PM
UPDATE @ 11:14 a.m. (May 21):
Lenvil Persinger, 43, who police described as a “self-identified soverign citizen” pleaded no contest to felony charges in a plea deal that has the Piqua man avoiding trial.
Persinger pleaded no contest to attempted felonious assault and tampering with evidence charges in Miami County court Monday.
He is set for sentencing on July 2.
INITIAL REPORT (May 8):
A Miami County judge Monday found a Piqua man competent to stand trial in an alleged attack on a neighbor and standoff with police in January.
Lenvil Persinger, 43, faces charges of felony aggravated burglary, felonious assault and tampering with evidence.
Persinger was described by Piqua police as “a self-identified sovereign citizen."
He told Judge Christopher Gee at a previous hearing, "Clearly I’m sane," after his defense lawyer requested the competency evaluation.
Gee said Monday a clinical psychologist found Persinger did not suffer from mental illness or defect and was competent to stand trial
Persinger is accused of breaking into his neighbor’s apartment and assaulting a man after hearing a boyfriend and girlfriend arguing. Police said Persinger used nunchucks in the assault.
A trial is set to begin May 23, but public defender Steve King told Gee he might need more time to prepare the case.