Enon Church of Christ, Grace Missionary Baptist Church, South Fairborn Baptist Church,

breaking news

Man guilty of murder in death of girlfriend’s 2-year-old son

Published: Friday, April 06, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
Updated: Friday, April 06, 2018 @ 6:40 PM

Closings over in trial of 2-year-old's death

Ryan “Luke” St. John was found guilty of murder Friday in the death of 2-year-old Brayden Ferguson.

He also was found guilty as charged on all other counts, including felonious assault, involuntary manslaughter and endangering children.

The jury began deliberations just before 3 p.m. Friday and returned to the courtroom with a verdict around 6:30 p.m.

Content Continues Below

St. John, 23, was on trial for the February 2017 death of Brayden, the son of St. John’s girlfriend, Kelsie Martin. The county coroner’s office ruled Brayden died from blunt force injuries which was shown to be a massive skull fracture.

RELATED: Murder trial defense witnesses didn’t hear St. John talk of prison

Closing arguments finished before noon Friday.

Ryan “Luke” St. John leaves the courtroom during Friday’s lunch break during his murder trial. Attorneys finished closing arguments just before noon and were scheduled to get jury instructions after lunch before they start deliberations. MARK GOKAVI/Staff(Staff Writer)

“Child abuse is a crime committed in secret. It’s not meant to have witnesses,” Montgomery County assistant prosecutor Kelly Madzey told the jury. “You have heard Brayden’s voice in this case. Find this defendant guilty …”

RELATED: Mother of 2-year-old: Boyfriend said he didn’t want to go to prison

Defense attorney William Cass Jr. pointed the finger at Martin, but stressed he didn’t have to prove her guilt but that prosecutors did have to — and failed — to prove that his client was guilty.

Cass told the jury that there’s “one element in dispute and that’s who did this” and that the dispute “has not been resolved.” Cass also said there were “too many unanswered questions.”

RELATED: Murder trial: 2-year-old’s injuries were ‘violent and horrific’

Madzey said the defense’s final witness, Dr. Geoffrey Negin, a neuroradiology specialist from Fort Meyers, Fla., didn’t change the timeline that doctors said likely happened within eight hours of a 1:47 p.m. CT scan.

St. John elected not take the stand in his own defense.

RELATED: Boyfriend indicted on murder charges in 2-year-old’s death

Madzey showed the jury a timeline that she said puts St. John alone with Brayden when the massive injuries must have happened.

In his rebuttal close, assistant prosecutor Dan Brandt said jurors shouldn’t get detoured by things like what he said was a stretch for Cass to infer Martin was faking her emotions during the 911 call.

RELATED: Since 2009, adults with a history of abuse have killed hundreds of Ohio kids

Brandt said Martin was the one who made the call, rode in the ambulance, talked to doctors and was interviewed by detectives.

“Where’s he? Where’s this defendant when she is doing all of this?” Brandt asked, adding that St. John was “ducking and dodging police officers.”

RELATED: Dayton police detective disciplined for investigation involving child who later died

Brandt said evidence showed why there was no DNA found in a hole in the wall in the Southshore Drive apartment.

Brandt recounted how a fellow inmate gave police details about what St. John told him about the incident and that St. John later regretted telling anyone anything in a phone call from jail. Brandt said the inmate heard how St. John talked about the death of a 2-year-old child without emotion and that it was “off-putting.”

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

At that point, St. John interrupted Brandt to say he told the inmate “what he was accused of.” After that, a few people in the gallery had words and were asked to leave by deputies.

Brandt finished by saying Brayden no longer had a voice, but that he was still telling his story. “Please listen,” Brandt said, asking the jury to find St. John guilty of all charges.

St. John is scheduled for sentencing May 1.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook