Homeless man in Speedway bathroom charged with drug possession

Published: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 @ 11:18 AM

Joey Burton, 46, was charged with drug abuse instruments and drug paraphernalia after he was found Friday in the restroom at Speedway, 3501 Roosevelt Blvd. COURTESY MIDDLETOWN POLICE DEPARTMENT
Joey Burton, 46, was charged with drug abuse instruments and drug paraphernalia after he was found Friday in the restroom at Speedway, 3501 Roosevelt Blvd. COURTESY MIDDLETOWN POLICE DEPARTMENT

A 46-year-old homeless man was cited for drug charges after he was found Friday morning in the bathroom at Speedway, 3501 Roosevelt Blvd., according to police.

Joey Burton, whose address is listed as at large, was charged with possessing drug abuse instruments and drug paraphernalia, and the items were destroyed at the police department, a police report said. Police found a syringe and spoon in Burton’s jacket.

RELATED: Crime news impacted the Butler County community in 2017

He was criminally trespassed off all Speedway properties, police said.

Police and paramedics were called to the gas station because a man was in the restroom for “a long time and possibly overdosed,” the report said. Police and medics found Burton awake and sweating “profusely.” He had a high heart rate and he was transported to Atrium Medical Center.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Downtown Springfield pizzeria closing

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 5:47 PM

Bada Bing Pizzeria owner Jason Hague serves the staff of The Salvation Army a Red Kettle pizza.  The Red Kettle pizza is a special pizza that will be available during National Salvation Army week.  JEFF GUERINI/STAFF
Jeff Guerini
Bada Bing Pizzeria owner Jason Hague serves the staff of The Salvation Army a Red Kettle pizza. The Red Kettle pizza is a special pizza that will be available during National Salvation Army week. JEFF GUERINI/STAFF(Jeff Guerini)

PHOTOS: Bada Bing Pizzeria

Bada Bing Pizzeria in Springfield will close on Sunday, according to a post on the business’ Facebook page. 

The post reads in part, “Thank you all for your support over the last few years. We have been blessed beyond measure. What’s next? Stay tuned.”

The restaurant is located at 40 N. Fountain Ave.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Tipster leads California authorities to felon’s stash of 553 guns, police say

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

Police – Stash of 553 Guns Found Thanks to Tipster

A tip called in to Los Angeles County authorities led investigators to seize a total of 553 guns from a convicted felon last week, officials said.

Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested Thursday on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms, possession of an assault rifle, being a felon in possession of ammunition and possession of large-capacity magazines, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials. He was released on bond the following day.

Sheriff’s Department officials said in a news release Monday that deputies at the department’s Palmdale station received a tip about a felon in possession of a “large arsenal of firearms.” Detectives, along with agents from the California Department of Justice, obtained a search warrant for Fernandez’s home in Agua Dulce. 

Agua Dulce is located about 20 miles northeast of Santa Clarita, near Angeles National Forest. 

>> Read more trending news

Investigators found a total of 432 guns during the execution of the first search warrant at Fernandez’s home, the news release said. That search led them to a second home in Agua Dulce connected to Fernandez.

A total of 30 guns were found at that home, which belongs to a woman described by authorities as a female associate of Fernandez’s. The woman, who was not home Monday and has not returned since the search, is expected to face charges.

A second warrant served at Fernandez’s home led investigators to find another 91 weapons hidden in the house, the news release said. 

“Detectives also seized computers, cellphones and hard drives from the residence believed to be involved in the illicit purchase of firearms by the suspect,” the news release said

A photo released by the Sheriff’s Department shows rifles and other weapons piled into the bed of a Ford F-150 pickup truck. Other pictures show the massive cache of weapons laid out on a patio at the station.  

Pictured are some of the weapons seized after Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials received a tip about a convicted felon in possession of a large arsenal of weapons. Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested on multiple weapons charges Thursday, June 14, 2018.(Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department)

The number of weapons seized was so large that investigators brought in agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to assist in tracing the purchase history of the guns, authorities said. 

“This case is a testament to the community’s involvement in reducing crime and taking guns out of the hands of criminals,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell said in a statement.

McDonnell said the response by his personnel, as well as state and federal officials, shows the positive result of the Sheriff’s Department’s “See Something, Say Something” campaign.

“We are proud of the relationship we have built in the Antelope Valley area as we continue to build trust with the communities we serve,” the sheriff said

Trending - Most Read Stories

UPDATE: Brock Turner headed back to court next month

Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:30 PM

Brock Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender. GREENE COUNTY SHERIFF / CONTRIBUTED
Brock Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender. GREENE COUNTY SHERIFF / CONTRIBUTED

UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 19

Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction will be held next month, according to court documents.  

The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard July 24 in San Jose, California.

UPDATE @ 10 a.m., Monday, May 21

Brock Turner’s attorney has asked the court to reschedule oral arguments in his appeal case, according to a court docket. A new date has not yet been scheduled.

ORIGINAL STORY

Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction are scheduled for next month, according to a California appellate court spokesman.

The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard by a panel of three justices from California’s Sixth District Court of Appeal. Turner’s counsel and the state’s attorney will present arguments and answer questions during the June 28 hearing in San Jose, California.

MORE: Brock Turner case: What led to Stanford assault?

The justices will then deliberate and later issue an opinion, said Cathal Conneely, the court’s spokesman.

The scheduling comes as Turner’s legal team drops several claims that would have allowed a re-trial or a re-sentencing on one or more counts, according to a court document filed by Turner’s attorney, Eric Multhaup.

The decision to withdraw a handful of the claims, Multhaup wrote, “was reached in large part out of consideration for appellant’s (Turner’s) family and out of consideration for Jane Doe and her family.”

Doe is the unidentified victim in the 2015 sexual assault at Stanford University. The 2016 case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.

MORE: Brock Turner’s classmates describe Oakwood party culture

A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.

Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender — Ohio’s most-strict classification.

In a court filing earlier this year, the state’s attorney argued there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”

Turner’s attorney declined comment. Doe’s family friend, Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, also declined comment.

Read more coverage:

» Queen of Hearts card game legal in Ohio — for now

» Dayton police: Man jumps to his death from county parking garage

»Secret Service investigating Riverside computer attack

»PHOTOS: $1.89 million luxury home built by Charles Kettering for sale

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police, medics called for stabbing victim in his late 70s

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 8:20 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 3:46 AM

Police, medics called for stabbing victim in his 70s

Springfield police are investigating after a 79-year-old man was stabbed Tuesday evening.

The incident was reported around 8 p.m. in the 2100 block of Gerald Drive. The victim, who has not been identified, was transported to Miami Valley Hospital.

>> Man stabbed by 15-year-old girl after attacking her pregnant mother

According to his neighbors, he was alert and talking to medics following the incident, and he said he was stabbed by a relative.

Everyone knows the victim, neighbors said. They described him as a nice man who is quick to help out his neighbors.

According to initial reports, the victim suffered wounds to the chest and leg.

Springfield police Lt. Jeff Williams said detectives were at the scene and that no further information would be released until Wednesday.

>> Springfield police seek public’s help in deadly shooting outside Wagon Wheel bar

The incident remains under investigation and no one is in custody, Williams said.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories