log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, May 19, 2017 @ 11:01 AM
— A 7-month-old baby died after his parents fed him only gluten-free and lactose-free foods, including quinoa milk, the New York Post reported.
The child’s Belgian parents self-diagnosed him with an array of food allergies, but never sought a medical professional’s opinion before deciding on his diet, according to the newspaper.
“The parents determined their own diagnosis that their child was gluten intolerant and had a lactose allergy,” lawyers said in court during the trial for the child’s 2014 death, the Independent reported. “Not a single doctor had a dossier about Lucas and child protection services did not know about them.”
At the time of his death, baby Lucas weighed fewer than 10 pounds, which is only half the size of an average baby his age. An autopsy later found that his stomach was completely empty when he died, and his official cause of death was dehydration and malnutrition, according to the New York Post.
In court, the child’s parents said that they never took him to a doctor because they didn’t notice that anything was wrong with him. His mother said that sometimes Lucas would gain a little weight and then lose it, and that his parents thought such weight fluctuations were normal. They eventually took him to a homeopathic doctor, who insisted that they take him to a real hospital. By the time they did, it was too late. The hospital pronounced him dead on arrival.
In addition to quinoa milk, Lucas’ parents fed him oat milk, rice milk, buckwheat milk and semolina milk from the natural foods store they own, according to the Independent. While doctors warn that such a diet will not sustain an infant that age, the parents’ lawyer argued that wasn’t the case and that Lucas died for another reason.
“Lucas had an eating disorder. He got cramps when he was fed with a bottle, and his parents tried out alternatives,” the couple’s attorney, Karine Van Meirvenne, said, according to the Daily Mail.
The parents’ trial began this week. Each faces up to 18 months in prison for contributing to the infant’s death.
Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 4:18 AM
Investigators with the Lacey Police Department said a man walked into the restaurant and ordered a cup of coffee, but was upset over the 97-cent price.
After he received his coffee, the man poured it into his to-go mug and then demanded a refill from the manager.
Investigators said the manager asked the man to leave after he got verbally abusive about the price of the coffee.
The man then got upset and threw the cup of hot coffee into the manager’s face and fled.
Do you know this guy? He threw hot coffee in the employees face this morning. pic.twitter.com/a9HuD9Sd6T— Lacey Police (@LaceyPolice) May 25, 2018
Police said the manager had burns on her neck. KIRO reported that the manager was being treated for third-degree burns.
The man is being sought for simple assault, according to Lacey Police.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 7:53 PM
Updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 11:51 PM
COLUMBUS — UPDATE @ 11:50 p.m.: The alert for the 79-year-old Columbus man has been canceled.
An Endangered Missing Adult Alert has been issued for a Columbus man.
Stanley Lapcynski, 79, suffers from dementia and was last seen around noon Friday when he left his residence but did not return.
He stands 5 feet 6 inches and weighs 190 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a Home Depot shirt and blue jeans.
He is believed to be driving a dark green 2001 Chevrolet Aveo with Ohio plate FFW4599.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 4:27 PM
MIDDLETOWN — A Middletown woman pleaded no contest to a lesser degree arson charge Friday afternoon in Middletown Municipal Court.
Last week, Georgia Osborne, 35, was charged with arson, a fourth-degree felony, after she started a fire in her jail cell around 7 a.m. May 17. She used a lighter to catch a blanket on fire while she sat on the concrete floor, according to the police report. She sneaked the lighter into the jail, the report said.
Osborne, represented by attorney James Calhoun, pleaded no contest to arson and criminal trespass and was sentenced to 180 days in jail with credit for eight days served.
Middletown Municipal Court Judge James Sherron initially said he would release Osborne on probation if she met with representatives from Access Counseling, provide a negative drug screen when she returns to court in two weeks, and not be charged with additional crimes.
But after meeting with Calhoun, the city prosecutor and a representative from Access Counseling, Sherron changed his mind. The judge revoked Osborne’s probation and sent her back to jail.
After reviewing Osborne’s criminal history on his computer, Sherron noted that in 17 years, she had 53 cases in Middletown court.
“Is that something to be proud of?” Sherron asked her.
“It’s embarrassing,” Osborne said, burying her face in her right hand.
Osborne said she has a 4-month-old son and she had hoped to live with her mother, who was at the court hearing.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:44 PM
Updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:56 PM
OAKWOOD — Oakwood school officials released details of its investigation into a threat made on social media to the school.
A concerned parent said a one-call alert was made from Principal Paul Waller, who said an Oakwood student posted a threat on social media but had removed the threat. Details of the threat were not made available.
The school district issued the following statement regarding the incident.
“On Friday, May 25, Oakwood High School administrators were made aware of a possible threat of violence at the school that had been sent via Snapchat by an OHS student. Upon learning of the threat, administrators immediately reported this communication to the Oakwood Safety Department, and officers were sent to the school.
“Police investigated and determined it was not a credible threat. No weapons were found. The student who sent the message was taken into custody by OSD. The case will be referred to the Montgomery County Juvenile Prosecutor’s Office for potential charges.”
As part of the schools’ safety plan, students are taught if they see or hear something to say something, officials said. “Students followed that example today and reported the message to administrators,” the statement said, allowing the district and police to intervene.
“We understand situations such as this are concerning to parents, students and the Oakwood community. Oakwood Schools safety procedures, which have been put in place in the best interest of our students and staff, were followed. All are safe and classes have continued in session as normal.”