breaking news

breaking news

Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock's girlfriend said her fingerprints would likely be on ammo

Published: Sunday, January 14, 2018 @ 12:05 PM

New Details Emerge On Las Vegas Shooter, Stephen Paddock

We are slowly learning more about the Las Vegas shooting that left 58 people dead in October 2017.

>> Read the latest on the Las Vegas shootings

Newly unsealed court documents show that, in the months before the massacre, shooter Stephen Paddock took measures to muddy the waters in the law enforcement investigation he knew would follow his attack. FBI search warrants state that Paddock “destroyed or tried to hide digital media devices” that he assumed the feds would be after, according to a New York Times report. In fact, Paddock took a number of steps aimed at tripping up investigators, and the FBI team trying to get to the bottom of the shooting wrote that the 64-year-old exhibited “a level of sophistication which is commonly found in mass casualty events.”

Although the bureau still has not determined a motive for his attack, they’ve slowly traced the winding trail that led him to the Mandalay Bay hotel room last October. They said he used multiple communication devices, including a prepaid cellphone. Three phones were found in the room where Paddock died, two of which investigators were able to search, but one that they could not unlock, authorities said. An agent wrote in the search warrants that “if there were any information related to a potential conspiracy, it would be found within” the locked phone, which operated on the Google platform.

The warrants also detail a few of the steps that investigators took in looking into Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley. Although Danley has not been charged, investigators said: “She has been identified thus far as the most likely person who aided or abetted Stephen Paddock based on her informing law enforcement that her fingerprints would likely be found on the ammunition used during the attack.”

>> Read more trending news 

She reportedly deleted social media profiles in the hours after the attack.

In the warrants, agents pushed for access to Danley’s email account, saying that “[it could] lead investigators to determine the full scope of Stephen Paddock’s plan and Marilou Danley’s possible involvement.”

A number of the devices that Paddock used in the shooting were ordered online, including a holographic weapon sight, authorities said.

Authorities have been able to gain access to Paddock’s email accounts and say that he emailed between two accounts referring to items that he used in the attack, including the bump stock that he attached to his weapon. Although they’re not sure, investigators said there’s a possibility that somebody else was handling one of the email accounts, and they believe that identifying the person could help pull back the veil that surrounds Paddock’s motives.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Death of Huber Heights man found in Springfield park ruled a homicide

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 11:59 AM

A Huber Heights man's body was found in a Springfield park Tuesday morning. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Update@2:23 p.m.:

During a press conference Wednesday afternoon to discuss Holt’s killing, Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf officially ruled Holt’s death a homicide.

READ: Springfield police investigate body found in Mabra Park

Graf also reached out to the public for help in the investigation. Holt was last seen alive about 11 p.m. Monday, so anyone who may have seen him after that time or came in contact with him should contact Springfield police investigators with any information they have, Graf said. 

Graf also said investigators still have not made a direct connection with Holt’s killing and the home invasion in Huber Heights where two boys, including one of Holt’s sons, was tied up. Until such connection is made, the cases will investigated separately, he said. 

There are no suspects or persons of interests in either case, officials in Springfield and Huber Heights said.

 RELATED: Teen bound in Huber Heights, father's body found in Springfield park

First report:

Springfield police are continuing their investigation after a body was found at a Springfield park Tuesday morning.

Huber Heights police are also continuing an investigation into an incident hours before at the man’s home in that city.

Cedric Holt Jr. was found dead at Virgil Mabra Park in Springfield.

He is the father of one of two teenage boys who were tied up in a home invasion in Huber Heights on Tuesday morning. Other than the relationship between Holt and one of the boys, there’s no connection between the home invasion and Holt’s death, said Sgt. Charles Taylor of the of the Huber Heights Police Department. 

“We’re still ... just over 24 hours involved in this. So we’re still looking into everything,” he said. All stones will be looked under. And we’re going to continue to canvas the neighborhood, ask questions to anybody and anyone that’s willing to talk.”

Woman killed in hit-and-run motorcycle crash, man arrested

Both police departments are releasing limited information. Springfield police plan on hold a press conference today at 2 p.m.

Here is what we know now:

Initial phone call

Springfield police were called to the 1400 block of Oakleaf Avenue on Tuesday morning, according to a Springfield police report.

There they met a man mowing the park’s grass who said he found a body, the report says.

“The victim was found face up with his head to the north and feet to the south,” the police report says. A park employee who called 9-1-1 said the body was in a car.

Springfield Fire Division personnel told police the man, later identified as Cedric Holt Jr., was dead.

Suspicious death

The death is considered suspicious, the Clark County Coroner’s Office said. The cause and manner of death were not yet determined.

A Springfield police report describes the death as unspecified.

EXTRA: What we know: Virgil Mabra Park in Springfield

No arrests

A news release from the city of Springfield on Tuesday evening says no arrests have been made in the incident, and anyone with information is asked to call 937-324-7685.

Taylor said Wednesday that detectives are still working the case.

“As far as our home invasion we are still looking into everything,” he said.

Anyone with information about the home break-in can call the Huber Heights Police Division at 937-233-1565.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Carlisle man arraigned for alleged sex acts with children

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 3:58 PM

            Ronald Rowland
Ronald Rowland

Young alleged victims and their family members filled a Warren County courtroom Wednesday for the arraignment of a 68-year-old man accused of having sexual contact with three young girls.

The courtroom was filled on one side with alleged victims and their family members as Ronald Rowland, who was initially charged in March after an investigation by Carlisle police, walked in alone.

Rowland, of Judy Drive in Carlisle, was indicted by a grand jury May 14 on 12 counts of rape and six counts of gross sexual imposition involving crimes that began when the children were 5, 9 and 12 years old, according to prosecutors.

The crimes are alleged to have occurred between 2009 and 2017 in both Carlisle and Franklin.

Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell said the crimes occurred at Rowland’s home, an alleged victim’s home, in a shed behind the Rowland’s home and in a swimming pool.

One alleged victim accused Rowland and others were found after interviews at the county’s child advocacy center, Fornshell said.

Carlisle police officers received a call from Dayton Children’s Hospital on March 19 about a “possible sexual assault,” according to a police report.

During his arraignment Wednesday, Rowland told Warren County Common Pleas Judge Donald Oda II that he did not have money to hire the attorney who originally represented him.

Oda appointed attorney Tamara Sack as Rowland’s attorney and said a new court date would be set for next week.

Oda continued Rowland’s bond of $50,000, which was set in Franklin Municipal Court. He is free on bond.

In order to re-address bond, Oda said he needed more information after Rowland had met with his new attorney.

“Because if there was some agreement on your bail and what that bail should be set that was made at the lower court, I need to know a little bit more about it,” Oda said.

If convicted, Rowland “would spend the rest of his life in prison,” Fornshell said.

The victims’ families declined comment after the hearing.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘No, not this again’: Grandmother’s death in drive-by shooting reminds of 2006 incident just 3 doors away

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

Michael Lark said his aunt, Louise Brooks, was an innocent bystander who was shot in her house at 856 N. Euclid Ave. in Dayton during a drive-by shooting in November 2006. Brooks died three months later. Lark said the death of Sherrell Wheatley, who was shot outside a house three doors down, brought back memories of his aunt. MONTGOMERY COUNTY AUDITOR’S WEBSITE PHOTO
Michael Lark said his aunt, Louise Brooks, was an innocent bystander who was shot in her house at 856 N. Euclid Ave. in Dayton during a drive-by shooting in November 2006. Brooks died three months later. Lark said the death of Sherrell Wheatley, who was shot outside a house three doors down, brought back memories of his aunt. MONTGOMERY COUNTY AUDITOR’S WEBSITE PHOTO

The May 19 fatal drive-by shooting of a 62-year-old grandmother — which has Dayton police asking for help before the trail goes cold — is similar to a 2006 incident that also happened on North Euclid Avenue.

The story is all too familiar to one area man’s memories of his aunt’s death.

Sherrell V. Wheatley died last Saturday at an area hospital after she was shot in the head while walking home after feeding a neighbor’s dogs. Police called Wheatley an innocent victim of an apparent drive-by shooting at 866 N. Euclid Ave.

Three doors down and 11.5 years ago, an 89-year-old woman was shot in both legs while watching television at 856 N. Euclid Ave.

EARLIER: Innocent bystander grandmother killed: ‘Hit by a bullet that has no eyes’

Louise T. Brooks was hit at about 10 p.m. on Nov. 29, 2006 by stray bullets in what police said at the time was a drive-by shooting that struck several homes and vehicles.

When Brooks’ nephew, Michael Lark, heard about Wheatley’s death last weekend, his mind raced back to 2006 and his “Aunt Lou.”

“My blood pressure went up, and I started steaming, and I’m like, ‘No, not this again,’” said Lark, 58, of Dayton. “What happened? And then they say she was an innocent bystander, just like my aunt, and it was hard to take again. It was like reliving my aunt’s (shooting) all over again.”

RELATED: Neighbor aids woman wounded in stabbing

Dayton officers said at the time that they found Brooks after no one answered her door. They said they forced their way in and found her with two gunshot wounds.

Brooks was taken to a hospital in critical condition and was later upgraded to stable condition. She died on Feb. 27, 2007 — on Lark’s mother’s birthday — at age 90, according to an online obituary.

Lark said his aunt virtually died from the shooting because she couldn’t fully recover. He said police detectives weren’t able to solve the crime.

RELATED: Woman shot twice in apparent drive-by shooting

“I’m a God-fearing person, and they say turn the other cheek,” Lark said. “But it’s kind of hard to turn the (other) cheek when nobody says anything and they kill somebody — elderly and babies. Uh-uh, something needs to be done with them.

“If I had my way … because I’ll never forgive them. They better hope God forgives them. Family, to this day, we have no answers.”

Efforts to get information on the 2006 case from Dayton police and the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office have not yet been successful. In Dayton police’s computer system, the case is listed as closed.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Police are looking for a silver sedan in the Wheatley case, and the public has been asked to call (937) 222-STOP (7867) or Melissa Schloss, the case detective, at (937) 333-1078.

Police said they have no suspects and few solid leads in Wheatley’s death, which they termed a “heinous” and “sad” crime.

“What we are asking is anyone in the neighborhood that saw any of this or has any information on this, please contact the Dayton Police Department,” said Lt. Gregg Gaby.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Lark said he knows what Wheatley’s family is going through.

“That just kept bringing it all up,” Lark said of Dayton’s most recent drive-by shooting.

“It’s heart-breaking. It keeps the family upset. … We believe that, before it’s all over with, somebody’s going to talk.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

2 Franklin men arrested in stabbing incident

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

            Christian Vick is charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony.
Christian Vick is charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony.

Two Franklin men involved in a late night fight that resulted in a stabbing have been arrested.

Franklin police charged Timothy Tinch, 32, with one count of assault, a second-degree misdemeanor, and Christian Vick, 34, with felonious assault, a second-degree felony.

MORE: These Butler, Warren businesses want to become medical marijuana stores

Vick has been booked in the Warren County Jail under a $10,000 cash bond. There was no Warren County Jail booking record for Tinch as of Wednesday afternoon.

Both are scheduled to be arraigned on their charges at noon Friday in Franklin Municipal Court.

Police were called to a residence in the 100 block of East Bryant Avenue about 9:45 p.m. on a report of two men injured during a fight. According to police, one of the men was stabbed in a fight with another man, who suffered facial injuries in the fracas.

Both men were taken to an area hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries, police said.

The incident remains under investigation.

Trending - Most Read Stories