SPECIAL REPORT...


Judge denies request by ex-Miamisburg teacher facing teen sex charges

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 12:02 PM


            Jessica Langford
Jessica Langford

The request by a former Miamisburg teacher indicted on charges of sexual battery and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor student to have all grand jury testimony prepared for trial has been rejected.

But the judge’s ruling in the case against Jessica Langford, 32, of Centerville, left open the possibility that grand jury testimony of certain witnesses may be available for trial, which is set for April.

RELATED: New details in indicted ex-Miamisburg teacher’s teen sex charges

The attorney for Langford requested the secret proceedings be available for trial because their absence may “deprive the defendant of a fair adjudication of the allegations,” Montgomery County Common Pleas Court records state.

Attorney Lawrence Greger said there may be a “particularized need” in the case that would allow Judge Timothy O’Connell’s to permit the request, court records show.

RELATED: Indicted ex-Miamisburg teacher seeks teen accuser’s name, details of sex charges

O’Connell’s ruling states “the parties conclude that the existence of a particularized need is not evident at this time.”

“The evidence, at this point, seems to indicate that a particularized need may develop at trial, as this matter seems to turn on the existence of possible inconsistent statements by two witnesses,” McConnell’s ruling filed Jan. 11 states.

Langford was indicted Nov. 14 on three counts of sexual battery and three counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. On Nov. 21, Langford pleaded not guilty to all counts and has remained free on conditional recognizance, court records show.

-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Ex-Miamisburg Middle School teacher pleads not guilty to sexual conduct with student

RELATED: Sex-with-student cases swamp area schools

RELATED: Ex-Miamisburg Middle School student indicted on sex charge with student

RELATED: Five cases of alleged improper conduct of teachers

RELATED: Sex claim involving student led to paid leave, teacher resignation

RELATED: Middle school teacher resigns amid student sexual battery allegation

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton woman killed by stray bullet ‘was my everything,’ son says

Published: Saturday, May 19, 2018 @ 6:30 PM
Updated: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 7:23 AM

Dayton Shooting on Euclid Ave.

Update@1:43 p.m.:

Antwand Warren, Wheatley’s son, said Monday that he can’t fathom why anyone would shoot his mother. She was a wholesome person who helped everyone and had no enemies or no flaws, he said. 

“That was my mom, I loved her,” said Warren, who is a quadriplegic. “She was my angel, she was my everything, and somebody snatched that away from me.”

Warren said one of the t hings he will miss most about his mother is her cooking. She cooked everything Southern style, he said she he choked up. 

“ I want justice. That’s all, I want justice,” he said.

Neighbor aids woman wounded in stabbing

Wheatley had previously been the victim of violence. Four years ago was stabbed multiple times in her neck and other parts of her body. She told police then that she and Warren were attacked by her husband Stanley Wheatley, 48, because she wouldn’t give him money to buy crack. 

Stanley Wheatley was sentenced to prison for the attacks. 

Update@12:13 p.m.:

Wheatley, a grandmother, had just fed some neighborhood dogs and was walking back to her home when she was shot, neighbors said Monday. She died about a half block from home, neighbors said. 

There’s a makeshift memorial where Wheatley died, and it continues to grow.  

Boy hurt in March OVI crash involving RTA bus asks for prayers for younger brother

Meanwhile, a man called 911 after hearing shots fired and seeing Wheatley lying on the ground, according to the 911 recording.

“Someone just got shot on Euclid... a lady is lying on the sidewalk,” the unidentified man said, later adding that he heard 12-15 shots. 

 2 men jailed in Dayton kidnapping, sex-related case

First report:

An innocent bystander was fatally shot Saturday evening when she was walking near a house targeted by a drive-by shooting, police said.

Sherrell Wheatley, 62, of Dayton was the woman shot and killed, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. 

Wheatley was an innocent bystander who suffered at least one gunshot wound as she was walking in the 800 block of North Euclid Avenue around 6:10 p.m. She was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where she succumbed to her injuries, Dayton police Sgt. Creigee Coleman said.

Police investigate a fatal shooting May 19, 2018, in the 860 block of North Euclid Avenue in Dayton.(DeANGELO BYRD / STAFF)

“A vehicle driven by a male had another male inside the vehicle, and that male fired several rounds towards an unknown house in an attempt to probably cause damage to that house,” Coleman said.

The passenger fired five or six rounds, he said.

Aaron Taylor said the woman was his great aunt.

“I just happened to pull up, see my auntie in the grass dead,” he said.

He described his aunt as a sweet lady and matriarch of his family and the community.

“Definitely innocent bystander walking up the street,” Taylor said.

Police are searching for a silver Ford Taurus or similar four-door car, and also are asking for the public’s help to come forward with any information.

>> 2 men jailed in Dayton kidnapping, sex-related case

“Now this is a situation where a person was indiscriminately firing a weapon, a large-caliber weapon from what I’ve been told, at a house and a person who was innocent just happened to be walking by and got hit by a bullet that has no eyes,” Coleman said.

>> Visitation set for victims of man’s murder-suicide

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Self-identified sovereign citizen’ pleads no contest to charges, avoids trial

Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

WATCH: A man who considers himself a sovereign citizen enters plea. A sovereign citizen is someone who believes that he is not held accountable to the laws that are put into place.

UPDATE @ 11:14 a.m. (May 21):
Lenvil Persinger, 43, who police described as a “self-identified soverign citizen” pleaded no contest to felony charges in a plea deal that has the Piqua man avoiding trial.

Persinger pleaded no contest to attempted felonious assault and tampering with evidence charges in Miami County court Monday.

Passenger ejected from car on I-75 being treated for life-threatening injuries

He is set for sentencing on July 2.

INITIAL REPORT (May 8):

A Miami County judge Monday found a Piqua man competent to stand trial in an alleged attack on a neighbor and standoff with police in January. 

Lenvil Persinger, 43, faces charges of felony aggravated burglary, felonious assault and tampering with evidence. 

Persinger was described by Piqua police as “a self-identified sovereign citizen." 

He told Judge Christopher Gee at a previous hearing, "Clearly I’m sane," after his defense lawyer requested the competency evaluation. 

Gee said Monday a clinical psychologist found Persinger did not suffer from mental illness or defect and was competent to stand trial 

Persinger is accused of breaking into his neighbor’s apartment and assaulting a man after hearing a boyfriend and girlfriend arguing. Police said Persinger used nunchucks in the assault. 

A trial is set to begin May 23, but public defender Steve King told Gee he might need more time to prepare the case. 

Persinger is being held on $50,000 bail.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Suspect’s wig may connect 2 area bank robberies, police say

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

Franklin police said the person they believe robbed a Franklin bank May 18 (pictured here) may have also robbed a bank in Troy the day before. CONTRIBUTED
Franklin police said the person they believe robbed a Franklin bank May 18 (pictured here) may have also robbed a bank in Troy the day before. CONTRIBUTED

The person that Franklin police believe robbed a bank there May 18 may have also robbed a bank in Troy the day before, officials said.

FIRST REPORT: Can you help identify this Franklin bank robbery suspect?

Franklin and Troy police detectives believe the same man may be responsible for both robberies because of their similar descriptions, including a possible wig, Franklin Police Chief Russell Whitman said.

At 3:04 p.m. Friday, the Union Savings Bank at Second and Millard streets in Franklin was robbed by a man, according to police.

The suspect was described as a tall, white man with long hair and a mustache wearing a blue shirt, green pants with tennis shoes.

According to dispatch traffic, he may have been wearing a wig.

MORE: West Chester police looking for man who allegedly stole rifle from Cabela’s

On Thursday evening, a man possibly wearing a wig and a fake mustache robbed Unity National Bank.

The suspect in that robbery is described as a tall, slender man wearing glasses and carrying a red duffle bag.

He fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash, police said.

No weapon was seen during the Troy robbery reported just before 5 p.m. at the bank, 1314 W. Main St., and there were no injuries.

MORE: Ex-youth soccer club president indicted on sex charges involving minor

Anyone with information about the Franklin bank robbery is is asked to contact the Franklin Police Department at 937-746-2882 or to call its 1TIP hotline at 937-743-1TIP (1847)

Trending - Most Read Stories

Happening Now: Springfield Police investigating robbery at Family Dollar

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 10:37 AM
Updated: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 10:41 AM

Police are investigating Monday morningy armed robbery at Springfield Family Dollar. BILL LACKEY/STAFF
Police are investigating Monday morningy armed robbery at Springfield Family Dollar. BILL LACKEY/STAFF

Springfield police are investigating an armed robbery at a local Family Dollar.

MORE: 2 suspects arrested in Springfield Speedway robbery

Police were dispatched to the Family Dollar on the corner of Selma Avenue and East Street. Police said a man entered the store around 9:30 a.m., displayed a gun, and demanded cash. 

READ: Man sentenced to 24 months for Springfield bank robbery

The man fled the scene on foot, investigators said. 

The Springfield News-Sun has a reporter at the scene.

Trending - Most Read Stories