breaking news

breaking news


Jesse Whitaker guilty in 2015 alcohol-related case

Published: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 @ 4:28 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 @ 8:36 PM


            A man convicted nearly three years ago of killing three teens in a car accident was arrested Tuesday night for driving drunk, officials said Wednesday morning.
A man convicted nearly three years ago of killing three teens in a car accident was arrested Tuesday night for driving drunk, officials said Wednesday morning.

UPDATE @ 4:54 p.m. (Oct. 13): Jesse Whitaker entered a guilty plea in Fairborn Municipal Court to one count of operating a motor vehicle under the influence and one count of possession and consumption while operating a motor vehicle.

He has been sentenced as follows:

 *  Twenty-eight days in jail followed by 30 days on house arrest that includes an alcohol monitor.
 *  Three years of supervised community control to include drug and alcohol treatment and a $450 fine.
 *  The judge is allowing work release, which means Whitaker is to report to the Xenia City Jail on Oct. 28.
 *  His driver's license has been suspended for two years, retroactive to March 17 (the day of the charge).
 *  Whitaker will have no driving privileges until he shows proof of insurance.
 *  On the possession charge, the sentence is to run concurrently with his OVI conviction, plus a $100 fine.

 * Whitaker also pleaded guilty to one count of falsification.
 * Two other charges were dropped as part of the plea agreement. according to court record.

UPDATE @ 4:15 p.m. (May 5)

A judge has modified Jesse Whitaker’s bond to include requiring him to wear an alcohol monitoring device.

Fairborn Municipal Judge Beth Root gave the order during a hearing and noted that Whitaker will be required to wear the device until the court decides otherwise. If Whitaker consumes alcohol while wearing the device, he could be fined or sent to jail, according to the court.

UPDATE @ 8:58 p.m. (April 11)

A 20-year-old man convicted in a fatal crash was arrested this morning on an alcohol-related charge less than a month after he was arrested in an OVI crash.

Jesse Whitaker, 20, was arrested at 4:10 a.m. by University of Dayton police for alleged underage alcohol consumption. He was booked into the Montgomery County Jail at 4:37 a.m. and was released at 11:30 a.m., according to jail staff.

A UD spokeswoman said the university doesn’t release police reports.

Whitaker is scheduled to appear Monday in court, according to jail records.

The former Bellbrook High School student in 2012 crashed a pickup truck he was driving and killed three teen girls who were riding in his vehicle. He was 17 at the time. Speed, not alcohol, was a factor in the fatal crash that claimed his Bellbrook classmates, officials said.

Whitaker last year pleaded guilty in the vehicular manslaughter case, and was sentenced to two years probation; 300 hours of community service; and his driver’s license was suspended until he is 21.

He was arrested March 17 in Beavercreek for alleged drunken driving after he crashed his vehicle into a guardrail on the ramp from west U.S. 35 to north Interstate 675, according to Beavercreek police. Neither he nor his passenger were hurt.

He has a pretrial hearing June 1 in Fairborn Municipal Court on the misdemeanor charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Also following his arrest last month, Whitaker faces misdemeanor charges of driving under suspension, failure to control, falsification for providing his brother’s birthdate and consuming alcohol under age 21, court records show.

FIRST REPORT

A man convicted nearly three years ago of killing three teens in a car accident was arrested Tuesday night, March 17, for driving drunk, officials said Wednesday morning.

Jesse Whitaker, 20, reportedly crashed his car on the ramp from westbound U.S. route 35 to Interstate 675 north, striking the guardrail. Neither he nor his passenger was injured.

Whitaker, a former Bellbrook High School student, was given a field sobriety test before he was arrested, said Beavercreek police Capt. Eric Grile, who is in charge of the crash investigation. Grile noted that Whitaker refused to take a Breathalyzer test.

In 2012, Whitaker was convicted after the pickup truck he was driving crashed and killed three teen girls who were riding in the vehicle. He was 17 at the time.

The victims, Julianna Hawk, 14; Sophie Kerrigan, 17; and Skylar Kooken, 16, were riding inside the extended cab of the pickup truck. They were traveling on Wagner Road near Oleva Drive after midnight when the vehicle crashed into a tree. Two other students were injured.

Speed, not alcohol, was a factor in the crash, officials said. Whitaker pleaded guilty in April 2014 and sentenced to two years probation, 300 hours of community service and his license was suspended until age 21.

“Obviously, it’s disturbing that anyone’s out, operating under the influence. But it happens,” Grile said. “We’re not naive enough to think that it doesn’t. We’re fortunate in this case that it was a single vehicle crash, that he didn’t hurt himself or his passenger.

“Based on his past, one would hope that he would learn some lessons from the previous crash,” Grile continued. “Obviously, his behavior last night would indicate that he has not.”

Whitaker’s 2012 case was transferred to Franklin County when he moved to Columbus.

He now faces misdemeanor charges of DUI, driving under suspension, failure to control, falsification for providing his brother’s birthdate and consuming under the age of 21.

“He does not see the severity of the actions of driving under the influence of alcohol,” said Grile. “It’s really the fact that he was driving, and after his history, that one would expect that his behavior would have changed, and it’s disappointing to find out that it did not.”

Whitaker appeared in court Wednesday, but was released on his own recognizance. His next court appearance is scheduled for March 24.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Greenon student admits to crashing off road, killing fellow student

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 8:29 AM

The driver in an October crash that killed a Greenon student admitted to a charge of vehicular manslaughter and is due in court today for a disposition hearing, according to the Clark County Juvenile Clerk of Court’s office.

The driver in an October crash that killed a Greenon student admitted to a charge of vehicular manslaughter and is due in court today for a disposition hearing, according to the Clark County Juvenile Clerk of Court’s office.

MORE: Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

Andrew Scott was 16 when he drove his vehicle off of Fowler Road between Rebert Pike and Broadway Road and struck a pole in Clark County, the Ohio Highway State Patrol said. The crash killed his passenger, Greenon junior Kendal “Kenny” DePhillip, authorities said. Scott is also a Greenon student.

Speed and inattention were suspected to be the causes of the crash, Ohio State Highway Patrol Sgt. Richard Dixon said.

Scott is set to go before Clark County Juvenile Judge Robert Vaughn.

READ: Teens killed in car crashes remembered, reminder of safety needs

Scott was charged in February with vehicular homicide, vehicular manslaughter and failure to control after a months-long investigation into the crash.

The Clark County Juvenile Clerk of Court’s office said Scott admitted to the vehicular manslaughter charge and prosecutors agreed to dismiss the vehicular homicide and failure to control charges.

Admitting to a charge in juvenile court is similar to pleading guilty in adult criminal court.

REMEMBERING THE VICTIMS: Greenon mourns 3rd student death in 2 months in fatal car crashes

DePhillip was the third Greenon student to die in a fatal crash last fall over just a few months span. His death followed an August crash that killed senior David Waag and sophomore Connor Williams.

Here’s a video from coverage of the crash in October:

A 16-year-old Greenon High School student was killed Sunday in a car crash in Enon — the third student in the district to die in a fatal accident this school year.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ex-Kettering sub teacher to be sentenced today for sex with students

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 6:13 AM

Madeline Marx Subbed as a teacher in Kettering and Oakwood schools in the past year. Her case will go to a grand jury.

Kettering Fairmont substitute teacher Madeline J. Marx is scheduled to be sentenced today on sexual battery charges in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Marx, 24, pleaded and was found guilty of having an inappropriate sexual relationship with two students and was arrested last November. She is to appear today in front of Judge Steven Dankof.

RELATED: Miamisburg school worried ex-teacher flirted a year before sex charges

A 17-year-old student told police he was given oral sex by a teacher July 19 in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike, according to the complaint, affidavit and statement of facts filed in court.

A 16-year-old boy told police he had intercourse with a substitute teacher Sept. 21 in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Smithville Road, according to court documents.

Marx was removed from Fairmont’s building Nov. 8 by police. Marx admitted to having sexual relationships with multiple students, according to court documents.

RELATED: Substitute teacher accused of sex with two students seeks insanity plea

An affidavit said Marx also confessed to sending several nude pictures via Snapchat and Instagram.

A prosecutor’s office press release indicated Marx also substitute taught in Oakwood. School officials in Oakwood sent parents a letter saying that they did not know of any victims in their school district.

State records indicated Marx has a four-year teaching license as a K-12 education intervention specialist.

RELATED: What we’ve learned about Madeline Marx

Marx graduated in 2012 from Chaminade Julienne High School in Dayton and graduated from the University of Dayton in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in education, according to CJ and UD officials.

According to her UD transcript included in her personnel file, Marx withdrew from a fall 2013 class on sexual ethics.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kettering teen murder suspect in court today as trial nears

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 7:09 AM


            The case against Kylen Gregory is scheduled to be back in court today. NICK BLIZZARD/STAFF
The case against Kylen Gregory is scheduled to be back in court today. NICK BLIZZARD/STAFF

A Kettering teen accused of murdering a Fairmont High School student in 2016 is set to return to court today after a judge said most evidence questioned by his attorneys can be part of the trial.

A hearing in advance of the May 7 trial of Kylen Gregory, who turned 18 last month, is scheduled this afternoon before Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Dennis Langer.

RELATED: Trial of Kettering teen set for May

Langer recently ruled much of the evidence collected after the deadly shooting of Ronnie Bowers Sept. 4, 2016, will be admissible. He ruled a warrant for telephone records of two of Gregory’s relatives “failed to provide probable cause” for that evidence to be used in the case.

Gregory was 16 years old when the shooting occurred on Willowdale Avenue, and he is being tried as an adult on two counts of murder and related charges.

RELATED: Judges’ rulings touch on Sixth, First Amendment issues

Authorities and witnesses have said Gregory fatally shot the 16-year-old Bowers while the victim attempted to drive away from a confrontation.

Bowers died two days later - just after hours after Gregory and two other teens were initially charged in juvenile court – in what was ruled Kettering’s first gun-related homicide since 2007.

-MORE COVERAGE ON THIS ISSUE:

RELATED: Ruling allows victim’s remains in court before trial

RELATED: Judge restricts media access in Kettering homicide case

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trotwood police investigate fatal shooting at Pinewood Gardens apartments

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:17 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:40 AM

At least 1 dead in Trotwood shooting

Residents reported hearing eight to 10 gunshots in a deadly shooting Wednesday night at the Pinewood Gardens apartments.

Shortly after midnight, an investigator with the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office was on the way to the complex on Pinewood Circle off West Main Street between End and High streets.

>> Meth poisoning sickens 14 jail staff Tuesday, Wednesday in Darke County

Medics and police were called sometime after 11 p.m. after there were reports of eight to 10 shots fired, according to the Miami County Regional Dispatch Center.

Residents reported hearing gunshots and then seeing ambulances, fire trucks and police cruisers at the rear of the parking lot.

In a 911 call to dispatchers, one resident reported that the multitude of shots actually forced them to get down on the floor inside of the apartment.  

>> Police: Knife-wielding man robs 2 Dollar General stores less than 2 miles apart

It was not immediately clear how many people were shot or injured by the gunfire, nor whether police have any suspects.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories