Live Video

breaking news


Hearing postponed for Greenon teacher accused of sex misconduct

Published: Monday, February 05, 2018 @ 2:34 PM


            Indian Valley Middle School. Staff photo
Indian Valley Middle School. Staff photo

A hearing for a protection order request that alleges sexual misconduct against an Indian Valley teacher was continued.

The request for the protection order filed in Clark County Common Pleas Court alleges second-grade teacher Larry Yowler touched a student’s private area and forced her to sit on his lap during reading time.

READ MORE: Greenon teacher accused of sex misconduct a 20-year district employee

A hearing to review the request was set for Monday. But attorneys were just hired in the case, prompting the delay, Clark County Magistrate Ann Ringler’s office said. No new hearing date had been set yet.

Greenon Local School District placed Yowler on paid leave last month until the protection order request hearing is resolved, according to a statement from the district. His leave has been continued because the hearing was postponed, a district spokeswoman said.

EXTRA: Indian Valley teacher on leave amid allegations: 3 things to know

Yowler has worked for the district for almost 20 years, according to his personnel file. The Clark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the claims and no charges have been filed.

Neither Yowler nor his attorney have been able to be reached for comment by the Springfield News-Sun.

3 QUICK READS

Northwestern spent thousands to investigate superintendent’s behavior

Springfield football standout accused in AT&T robbery makes court appearance

Trending - Most Read Stories

U.S. Marshals surround Warren County house; man taken into custody

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:37 AM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:10 AM

A man was taken into custody at about 11 a.m. 
NICK GRAHAM/STAFF
A man was taken into custody at about 11 a.m. (NICK GRAHAM/STAFF)

UPDATE @ 11 a.m.:

A man has been taken into custody without incident at the Franklin Twp. home.

A man was taken into custody at about 11 a.m.(NICK GRAHAM/STAFF)

INITIAL REPORT:

U.S. Marshals and Warren County law enforcement are at a Franklin Twp. residence this morning for a person who reportedly is not coming out for warrant service, according to police scanner traffic.

MORE: 44 people indicted in Butler, Warren counties

At about 9:50 a.m. the Marshals were at a residence in the 3600 block of Wilson Farms Boulevard to serve a warrant for escape.

The person was reportedly hiding in the attic and not coming out, according to scanner traffic.

We have a crew on the scene and will bring you more information as it develops.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Cabela’s rifle thief may be connected to other crimes

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:30 AM


            Police say these photos of a man and a vehicle from a recent shoplifting at Walmart in Fairfield Twp. may be connected to the theft of a rifle from Cabela’s in West Chester Twp.
Police say these photos of a man and a vehicle from a recent shoplifting at Walmart in Fairfield Twp. may be connected to the theft of a rifle from Cabela’s in West Chester Twp.

West Chester Police have released additional photos of a suspect in a recent rifle theft from Cabela’s as well as thefts from a store in a neighboring township.

FIRST REPORT: Do you recognize this suspect from Cabela’s gun theft

A man allegedly concealed a Savage model B22 .22 caliber rifle under his clothing and walked out of Cabela’s, 7250 Cabela Drive, on April 24, according to a police report.

West Chester Twp. police said it appeared the suspect may have been wearing a Houston Rockets basketball jersey under a jacket.

MORE: Hamilton man cited after hitting house with car

Police now have additional photos of a man and a vehicle they say may be connected to that theft and recent shoplifting from Walmart in Fairfield Twp.

Police say the man has a tattoo on his right forearm and appears to drive a late model black or dark blue Chevy Equinox with no front license plate.

Anyone with information should call West Chester police at 513-759-7270 or at 513-777-2231.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Middletown restaurant robbery suspect caught in Atlanta

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 5:00 AM

Middletown police released this photo of the person who jumped a counter at Subway on March 3, 2017, pointed a gun at employees but who didn’t steal any money.
FILE PHOTO
Middletown police released this photo of the person who jumped a counter at Subway on March 3, 2017, pointed a gun at employees but who didn’t steal any money.(FILE PHOTO)

A man who allegedly walked into a Middletown Subway restaurant with a gun and chased employees out the back door, has been indicted for aggravated robbery and robbery in Georgia.

RELATED: Suspect in Middletown attempted robbery may have struck before

In March 2017, Deandre Yates, 21, of Cincinnati, allegedly entered the Subway restaurant on Verity Parkway with a gun to rob the business and employees.

The suspect fled after several employees ran out of the restaurant and called police.

Yates allegedly was part of “serial robberies” in Cincinnati and Georgia, according to Middletown Detective Kristi Hughes.

After Yates robbed the Middletown Subway, he committed another robbery of a Subway in Georgia two days later, according to Hughes.

He was wearing the same clothes in both robberies, she said.

MORE: Hamilton man cited for hitting house with car

During the robbery in Georgia, a Subway employee shot Yates in the stomach and he was transported to a local hospital, Hughes said.

The car that dropped off Yates at the hospital matched the description of the vehicle that he drove to the Middletown Subway, she said.

Yates was charged with the robberies after he had multiple surgeries, Hughes said.

Hughes said she believes Yates was part of an “organized group” that was committing robberies throughout the country.

An investigation revealed Yates had robbed a Waffle House in Hamilton County prior to the Subway robbery in Middletown, wearing the same clothes and holding a gun.

Hughes worked with Harrison Police Detective Rick Sak on finding the suspect, investigating the robberies and building a case.

Yates has been indicted in Hamilton County Common Pleas Criminal Court on counts of aggravated robbery and robbery. After he serves 18 months in Cobb County, Ga., he will be extradited back to Hamilton County, Hughes said.

Throughout the 14-month investigation, Hughes said Middletown police built “good relationships” with several other police departments.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Two Mason boys sentenced, Springboro boy freed in school-threat cases

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 6:44 PM


            Two 13-year-old Mason boys on Wednesday were placed on probation and ordered to write an apologies for making threats against their school in separate incidents in April. In a third hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby released to his father a Clearcreek Twp. boy student charged with threatening to shoot up his school on May 15 with Nerf guns. STAFF/LAWRENCE BUDD
Two 13-year-old Mason boys on Wednesday were placed on probation and ordered to write an apologies for making threats against their school in separate incidents in April. In a third hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby released to his father a Clearcreek Twp. boy student charged with threatening to shoot up his school on May 15 with Nerf guns. STAFF/LAWRENCE BUDD

Two 13-year-old Mason boys on Wednesday were placed on probation and ordered to write an apologies for making threats against their school in separate incidents in April.

In a third hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby released to a Clearcreek Twp. boy to his father. The student was charged with threatening to shoot up his school on May 15 with Nerf guns.

RELATED: ‘See something, say something’ working for Springboro schools in threat incidents

Over the past three months, Kirby has presided over 15 or more school threat cases.

On Wednesday, the Mason boys appeared in separate hearings where they admitted to charges before being sentenced.

One boy was accused of “circulating a warning of an impending crime, namely someone wanting to shoot students at the Mason Middle School, knowing the warning to be false” on April 8, according to charging documents.

RELATED: 13-year-old stole friend’s identity to make on-line school threat in Mason

The threat, posted on the district’s Schoology page, contained “a great deal of vulgarity” indicated the boy was “impersonating a classmate, and that there was no credible threat to school or student safety,” according to a message from the district.

The other boy admitted “murmuring” a threat to shoot his teacher after being reprimanded for listening to videos with headphones during class on April 12.

RELATED: 2nd Mason boy charged in school threat case

Both passed polygraphs, admitted to inducing panic and received suspended detention sentences.

Kirby was harder on the boy who used his friend’s computer identity to make the threat. The friend’s parents said he had been shaken by the experience.

“Unbelievable,” Kirby said. “It sounds to me like you’re a jerk.”

MORE: Threat prompts cancellation of last day of school at Middletown High

In the other case, lawyer Ed Perry said violent video games arm the children with words like Glock, the kind of gun his client said he would use on his teacher, although he admitted during the hearing he didn’t know much about that type of gun.

“I don’t think the children appreciate what they are talking about,” Perry said.

Kirby released the Springboro student accused in a May 15 incident. Kirby barred the boy from access to weapons or the internet or school, which ends on Thursday, except for a hearing on whether he should be expelled. He is to return to court on June 20.

Trending - Most Read Stories