log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 @ 5:06 PM
— A 31-year-old Dayton woman who pleaded guilty to several felonies and two misdemeanors involving drug trafficking and sexual activity after a 9-month investigation of The Harem strip club was sentenced Tuesday to probation.
Samantha Childers received up to five years’ community control sanctions after pleading guilty to cocaine and heroin trafficking plus illegal sexual contact with patrons.
Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Barbara Gorman — filling in for Judge Erik Blaine who decided the sentence — told Childers:
“Good luck, ma’am. You’re getting quite an opportunity from Judge Blaine here,” Gorman said. “Don’t mess it up.”
Gorman also ordered Childers to undergo intensive probation supervision, that she must attend and complete women’s therapeutic court, that she complete 40 hours of community service, obtain her GED, submit to a curfew, not work in any gentlemen’s club or as an exotic dancer, follow an employment program and not be where illegal drugs, stolen property or firearms are present.
Gorman told Childers she must pay court and supervision costs, have no contact with her co-defendants, must abstain from alcohol and illegal drugs and to complete the MonDay program for drug treatment.
“The only reason I had these charges to begin with I was on drugs,” Childers said, saying she’s been locked up and off drugs for months, “and I am getting the treatment that I need.”
Childers had violated her intervention in lieu of conviction (ILC) in a 2016 possession of cocaine case and already had been ordered to MonDay for that.
Gorman said Childers was on a “no-breaks status” and that any violation could lead to sanctions up to seven years in prison.
In a sentencing memorandum, Montgomery County prosecutors asked Blaine to impose a prison sentence, saying Childers “engaged in multiple sales of heroin, fentanyl and carfentanil to undercover agents from the Ohio Investigative Unit.”
The memo said during one arranged drug transaction, Childers had an infant child in the car with her. Wrote prosecutor Kelley Madzey, “Indeed, it appears her drug problem is the sale of drugs, rather than the use of them.”
The prosecutor’s office also filed a civil case to shut the club down for a year and won.
Three other Harem defendants were scheduled to appear:
Aaron Crenshaw had a hearing continued until Jan. 9 and a jury trial scheduled for Feb. 12. His attorney said he may waive the jury and have a bench trial.
Melvin Bibbs, who was declared not eligible for ILC, had a hearing continued for a week so his attorney could consider motions.
Samantha Clay’s case was continued for one week.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 4:35 PM
RIVERSIDE — A driver speeding at more than 100 mph, slammed the back of a motorcycle, and killed a Dayton woman riding on the back.
>>TRENDING: Bill Cosby found guilty in sex assault trial
David Olsen, 25, of Bloomington, Illinois, was sentenced to eight years in prison in the death of Alysha Lewis, 30, of Dayton. Olsen was sentenced after withdrawing his not guilty plea April 12 and pleading guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide, aggravated vehicular assault and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle.
Prosecutors said Olsen was driving intoxicated at speeds over 100 mph when he hit the motorcycle on Harshman Road in Riverside in October 2017. Officers also found a loaded gun in Olsen’s car.
“A completely innocent victim tragically lost her life because this defendant was driving impaired and in excess of 10 mph. This serves as another example of why persons should not drink and drive,” said Montgomery County Prosecutor Mathias Heck.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 1:19 PM
TURTLECREEK TWP. — A garrote, a tool used to kill someone by strangulation, was found around the neck of a Miami County inmate on Monday at Lebanon Correctional Institution, according to the initial investigative report.
Kevin Nill, 40, of Piqua, was less than a month from the end of an 18-month sentence for domestic violence in Miami County when he was pronounced dead at 9:43 a.m. Monday at the Atrium Medical Center, according to investigators and Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction records.
“The victim inmate was found unresponsive in his cell with a garrotte around his neck at Lebanon Correctional Institution. The victim inmate was transported to Atrium Medical Center where he was later pronounced deceased,” Trooper Laura Harvey said in a report obtained today by this newspaper.
Doyle Burke, chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner’s Office, said Wednesday an autopsy and other evidence determined Nill was strangled to death in his cell at Lebanon Correctional Institution on Monday, according to authorities.
The incident at the prison on Ohio 63, west of Lebanon, Harvey’s report said, lists the offense as murder, although no charges have been filed.
Nill was to be released on May 24, according to on-line Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction records.
He was not hanging when he was found and injuries were consistent with strangulation, which was determined to be the cause of death, Burke said.
According to prison and court records, Judge Jeannine Pratt sentenced Nill to 18 months in prison on April 20, 2017. With credit for time served, he was scheduled for release on May 24.
On April 7, 2017, a motion for a competency evaluation was withdrawn and Nill pleaded guilty to attempted domestic violence.
The sentencing was delayed so that a pre-sentence investigation could be completed, according to on-line Miami County records.
The case stemmed from an assault on a relative, according to police reports. Pratt’s sentence followed a recommendation shared by the prosecutor and Nill’s lawyer, according to court records.
His prior record in Miami County Common Pleas Court listed a series of cases dating back to 1996 and including escape, receiving stolen property, felonious assault, kidnapping, violation of a protective order, domestic violence and attempted violence, including 2009 and 2015 cases in both of which he was sentenced to 11 months in prison.
Harvey declined to comment on the case, while the investigation continued.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 11:18 AM
— The two juveniles among four identified suspects in the Monday ramming of a police cruiser have previous felony cases.
The 16- and 15-year-olds are among four suspected of using a stolen car to hit a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office cruiser on Monday at a Valero gas station at Siebenthaler Avenue and Philadelphia Drive in Harrison Twp.
Juvenile court records obtained by this news organization indicate the 16-year-old’s first serious offense was stealing a golf cart from Madden Golf Course in May 2017.
In the months after that, however, the 16-year-old from Dayton was twice charged with receiving stolen property (both vehicles), breaking and entering and possession of heroin as well as some misdemeanors and violations of electronic home monitoring.
No family members were in court for the 16-year-old on Tuesday, when Montgomery County Juvenile Court Judge Anthony Capizzi told him, “Your record is only 13 pages long. Congratulations.”
The 15-year-old’s felony record cases stretch back to July 2016 — when he was 14 — and include breaking and entering and attempted receiving stolen property as well as misdemeanor obstructing official business. The boy, who had family members in court on Tuesday, already is in treatment court.
Capizzi told them additional charges are likely, especially if investigators determine that one of them was driving a stolen Toyota Corolla involved in the latest incident.
According to the sheriff’s office, as deputies approached the stolen Corolla that was parked in the lot of the Valero, the driver noticed the deputies, got back in the vehicle and sped off, striking the patrol vehicle.
Capizzi entered denials on the teens’ behalf and announced their appointed defense attorneys.
The judge said, “This was a very serious case. It’s not just stealing a car. … Someone stole a car, tried to escape, drove in to a police cruiser to escape and then hit a bunch of other cars. You know that’s going to mean a lot more charges against somebody,” Capizzi said. “I don’t know who the driver was.”
The boys’ next hearing is scheduled for May 3. Both remain in custody. Adults arrested in the case include Sha’King Jones, 19, and Nikeas Jones, 20. Both remain in the Montgomery County Jail.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 4:43 PM
HARRISON TWP. — The force of the crash that killed 14-year-old Chelsea Bowman in October 2016 was so powerful, it split the car she was riding in, in half, and threw her from the car.
>>TRENDING: Bill Cosby found guilty in sexual assault trial
Eighteen months after the deadly head-on crash, the driver of the Dodge Neon Bowman was riding in, 21-year-old Merle Jay Lunsford II of Dayton, was indicted for vehicular homicide and operating a vehicle under the influence of marijuana and OVI.
Prosecutors said the teen was ejected from a rear seat of the car when Lunsford crossed the center line on Frederick Pike and hit an oncoming car.
A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Merle Jay Lunsford II.