log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
Updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 2:03 PM
HAMILTON — A former Hamilton Schools assistant principal charged with felony drug abuse was arraigned Wednesday in Hamilton Municipal Court, where he was released on his own recognizance.
Kevin Kernohan, 42, of Monroe, is scheduled to be back in court June 6 for a preliminary hearing.
Judge Dan Gattermeyer said he would continue the own recognizance bond on the fifth-degree felony, but ordered Kernohan to undergo drug screenings.
Kernohan appeared with his attorney Matt Fritsch. Both declined comment when leaving the courtroom.
According to court documents, Kernohan told Hamilton police he used “meth” with a person he lent his vehicle, and that vehicle was later involved in a burglary and arson.
That admission led to a felony drug charge against Kernohan, according to documents obtained by the Journal-News. He turned himself into police at 12:45 p.m. May 11, was booked and released.
A school resource officer searched Kernohan’s office on May 10 and found “a white crystal like substance” that tested positive as crystal methamphetamine “inside the middle right hand drawer” of a desk, according to court documents.
The search of his desk at Brookwood Elementary School, for “safety reasons,” came after Hamilton police interviewed Kernohan on April 27 about his vehicle’s involvement in a burglary and arson, police said
“During this interview he admitted he does crystal meth with the person he gave the vehicle to,” according to court documents.
Kevin Kernohan was assistant principal at Brookwood Elementary until he was placed on paid leave on April 30. Then on May 4 officials removed his paid leave status and ordered him to take his accumulated sick leave instead.
Kernohan was also previously appointed to be the summer school principal at Highland Elementary, but earlier this month the Hamilton Board of Education rescinded that job offer by unanimous vote.
Kernohan resigned from his job, which had an annual salary of $68,368, on May 10.
Prior to joining Hamilton Schools, Kernohan worked for the Butler County Education Service Center from 2012-2014 as its Progress Program principal.
He is a graduate of Fairfield High School, Miami University and the University of Cincinnati.
He worked for Cincinnati Public Schools’ Project Grad program from 2003-2012.
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 9:19 PM
COLERAIN TWP., Hamilton County — A 32-year-old man is behind bars, accused of killing an 8-month-old child.
Crews were called around 11:30 a.m. Thursday to a report of a child not breathing in the 3300 block of Struble Road in Colerain Twp. in northwestern Hamilton County.
Colerain Twp. police arrived first, and attempted life-saving measures until medics arrived but the child was pronounced dead at the scene, our news partner WCPO-TV in Cincinnati reported.
Police told WCPO there were “suspicious circumstances surrounding the death” and that a man confessed to police during an interview the news station reported.
Domynyk Gilliam was booked into the Hamilton County Justice Center in Cincinnati on suspicion of murder, felonious assault and felony child endangering.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 12:00 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 11:18 PM
RIVERSIDE — UPDATE @ 11:15 p.m.: Sandy’s Towing will match, dollar for dollar, any donation up to $1,000 to help the Riverside Amateur Baseball Association clean up the damage to its concession stand this week from vandalism, towing company co-owner Doug Thoma told News Center 7’s John Bedell.
UPDATE @ 3:09 p.m. (July 19):
Two juvenile males were taken into custody Thursday afternoon in a breakingand entering at a Riverside baseball league’s concession stand.
The two were booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of breaking and entering, according to Riverside police.
Mad River Local School employees identified the juveniles after viewing surveillance footage, according to police.
More than $2,000 in damage was done to the Riverside Amateur Baseball Association concession stand on Monday night.
UPDATE @ 4:32 p.m. (July 18)
A group of teenagers reportedly is responsible for more than $2,000 in damage done to a Riverside baseball league concession stand.
The suspects squeezed though a ceiling vent to break in to the concession stand Monday night, according to Amanda Edens, Riverside Amateur Baseball Association vice president.
“Just pure devastation,” she said. “Completely — everything’s just demolished. It’s horrible.”
“They had taken ketchup, mustard bottles — squirted everything everywhere. They dumped the drawers. They broke into the safe.”
Surveillance cameras mounted to neighboring Beverly Gardens Elementary School reportedly helped police identify the suspects as they made off with boxes of candy.
Police have yet to make any arrests, but Edens said she recognized the teens.
“They come here; they play basketball,” she said. “We feed them; they purchase things here. They’re probably here all the time.”
Edens noted that the incident was “completely senseless.”
“I don’t understand it, and I hope these kids have some kind of punishment that equals the damage they have created.”
However, multiple people have rallied around RABA and have offered their help.
“We’ve had several parents reach out to us, wanting to do some fundraising,” Edens said.
A Riverside concession stand was vandalized with multiple items stolen.
The Riverside Amateur Baseball Association’s concession stand had an estimated 50 Blow Pops and $50 worth of Fricker’s coupons taken, according to a Facebook post by RABA.
Images posted to the page showed food smeared on the door and various items strewn across the concession stand.
Riverside police are investigating.
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 9:35 PM
Updated: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 10:25 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 10:25 p.m.
A woman was struck in the leg by a stray bullet tonight that went through a house on Crown Avenue during a drive-by shooting in Dayton.
A man also was shot in the leg while he was outside the residence, Dayton police Sgt. Thomas Schloss said.
“While we were out to this call, another victim showed up at the Shell gas station at Third and Gettysburg (streets),” he said. “We found out that he was sitting in front (of the house) when another vehicle drove up, starting shooting at him, at which time he was shot in the leg.
“Both victims were taken to the hospital in non life-threatening condition,” Schloss said.
No suspect information was available.
UPDATE @ 10 p.m.
A man said his cousin was shot in the leg tonight on Crown Avenue in a drive-by shooting.
The man, who declined to be named, said a van drove by while firing shots and did a U-Turn and fired some more.
He said he took off his T-shirt to tie up his cousin’s leg while they waited for medics, and that he was told she would be OK.
At least three people have been shot tonight in two shooting incidents reported in Dayton.
Crews were called at 9:18 p.m. to the 30 block of Crown Avenue, and at 9:23 p.m. were called to the 4100 block of West Third Street.
The shootings are possibly related but police have not confirmed.
There is no word on the names and conditions of the victims, nor what led to the shootings.
No suspect information was immediately available.
We have a crew on the way and will update this report.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 12:01 AM
Updated: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 4:35 PM
PERRY TWP., Montgomery County — The investigation continues into a stabbing in Perry Twp. late Tuesday night that left a woman in critical condition:
UPDATE @ 4:04 p.m.:
Part-time Enon police officer Dwight Richard has been cleared by prosecutors and was released from the Montgomery County Jail on Wednesday night.
Tyler Minton remains in custody and was charged with two counts of felonious assault, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said based on the evidence presented to their office, they believe Minton is the person who stabbed the 34-year-old female.
Enon Police Chief Lew Wilcox said Richard is on administrative leave.
UPDATE@3:23 p.m. (July 19):
A day after being released from jail, Richard spoke with this news organization, saying he was never charged with a crime. He was detained as a part of the investigation — as any department has the right to do for 48 hours — and he did not have to post bail to get out, Richard said.
Woman killed in Interstate 75 crash north of Dayton ID’d
He declined further comment because of the pending investigation and until he has the chance to talk to his attorney.
Perry Twp. Police Sgt. William Wortman would not comment on the circumstances of the stabbing or whether Richard was charged.
He says he's meeting with prosecutors shortly to discuss the case.
The stabbing victim was still at Miami Valley Hospital Thursday afternoon, but hospital officials declined to release her condition.
UPDATE @ 10:25 p.m. (July 18): Dwight Richard, 49, the part-time Enon police officer arrested in the stabbing of a woman late Tuesday night, has been released from the Montgomery County Jail. He was not listed as part of the jail roster, according to a check of the online record.
Tyler Minton, 31, also arrested in the same incident, remained in jail pending formal charges.
Enon Police Chief Lew Wilcox said his department is in the process of placing Officer Richard on leave because of his connection to the stabbing.
Richard has been a part-time officer at the Enon department since September 2008.
Richard and Minton were arrested in the 11,000 block of Wolf Creek Pike -- at the same address where the stabbing was reported -- and booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felonious assault. Formal charges are pending.
Richard, when he called 911 to report the stabbing, identified himself as a police officer and asked Minton not to shoot him.
“I’m an off-duty officer,” Richard said in the call. The stabbing was reported about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Richard told authorities the woman had been stabbed in the neck.
“Tyler please don’t shoot me,” Richard said during the 911 call. “I love you please don’t.”
Richard told the 911 dispatcher he was about 100 yards behind the property when police arrived.
“I’ve gone out back because I think he has a weapon,” Richard told the dispatcher. “There are multiple firearms in the house and I believe he has one.”
Police have not said what roles Richard and Minton may have had in the stabbing.
The condition of the woman, whose name has not been released, is not available.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation was called to assist in the investigation.
Police said the stabbing was an isolated incident, however did not disclose the circumstances that led to the violence.
In the aftermath of the stabbing, evidence markers dotted the road and the driveway of the two-story white house on Wolf Creek Pike.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Shooting in Greene County leaves one dead
We’re working to learn more. This story will be updated as additional information becomes available.