Former Tipp athletic director faces charge 2 years after searches

Published: Friday, March 02, 2018 @ 4:59 PM


            Matt Shomper
Matt Shomper

TROY — A misdemeanor charge of misrepresentation by a present or former public official or employee was filed Friday in a Miami County court against former Tipp City schools’ athletic director Matt Shomper.

The charge comes more than two years after search warrants were executed at his home, car and the high school athletic department office Feb. 12, 2016.

Shomper, now 47 and a Tipp City resident, was placed on paid leave during the investigation and resigned under an agreement with the Board of Education in May 2016. He had been athletic director since 2006.

TRENDING: Dayton schools sue, accuse state of ‘spite’ in Dunbar forfeit

The investigation started after a complaint filed with Tipp City police in September 2015 by Tipp City Exempted Village Schools’ Superintendent Gretta Kumpf after irregularities were found by state auditors in a district audit. The allegations included Shomper employing family members.

The investigation included local police, the Bureau of Criminal Investigation, the State Auditor’s Office and the Ohio Ethics Commission. When search warrants were filed, police said the investigation involved inconsistencies allegedly found in school athletic department accounts and expanded to include Shomper’s personal travel agency business. No charge was filed in relation to that business.

The charge filed by the Tipp City police alleges that on or about June 23, 2014, through May 18, 2015, Shomper, “in his capacity as a public official … did use his authority or the influence of his office to secure the approval of the Tipp City EVSD Board to hire Matt Shomper’s family members … to serve as paid workers at Tipp City EVSD sporting events.”

TRENDING: Premier Health shutting down insurance business

The charge states the alleged actions “provided things of value which were of such a character as to manifest a substantial and improper influence upon on Matt Shomper with respect to his duties as a public official.” Four people are named as those family members.

Jim Ambrose, a Kettering lawyer representing Shomper, said Friday he could not comment because he had not seen the charge and had not talked with Shomper about it.

An arraignment for Shomper was scheduled for March 20 in Miami County Municipal Court.

The charge is a first-degree misdemeanor, which carries a potential penalty of up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Superintendent Kumpf said Friday there was not much the district could comment on regarding the charge.

TRENDING: Congressman Turner, wife settle divorce

“I would indicate that once inconsistencies come to our attention, we are required to report. We did, right away, to local law enforcement,” she said.

School officials said in early 2017 during a public discussion with the board of education that changes were made in some money handling and hiring procedures following a finding against the district involving handling of money by the Athletic Department for events and a noncompliance finding involving Shomper’s employment of family members.

Trending - Most Read Stories

East Dayton, Oregon District OVI checkpoint results released

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:13 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 3:16 AM

OVI checkpoint on Keowee Street

UPDATE June 23 @ 3:16 a.m.:

Dayton police made four arrests during an OVI checkpoint and a saturation patrol Friday night.

In a release, police said 167 vehicles passed through the checkpoint from E. Third St. and Terry St., and N. Keowee and E. Fifth St. between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. One OVI arrest was made. 

Dayton police also conducted a saturation patrol in the area making one OVI arrest, one drug arrest and one felony arrest. 

According to the release, 284 vehicles passed through the checkpoint at S. Keowee St. and E. Fifth St. At this location, police made no arrests during the OVI or saturation patrol.

FIRST REPORT June 22 @ 10:21 a.m.:

A sobriety checkpoint will be set up tonight between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. at two locations in Dayton.

The first will be around East Third and Terry streets, near Taqueria Mixteca restaurant. After that, the checkpoint will move to South Keowee Street near East Fifth Street in the Oregon District.

The checkpoint will be operated by the Dayton Police Department, along with members of the Combined Agency OVI Task Force of Montgomery County.

MORE: Big check means big things for Dayton Gem City Market

Ohio law requires police agencies to publicly announce the times and locations of checkpoints ahead of time.

The OVI Task Force seeks to reduce the number of crashes involving drunken and intoxicated drivers.

“Driving while impaired is illegal and endangers the lives of everyone on the roadway,” police said.

In 2017, there were 594 crashes involving alcohol in Montgomery County.

Twelve people died in those crashes and 234 were injured. In 348 crashes, property was damaged crashes.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Statewide alert issued for missing endangered Cincinnati man canceled

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 8:21 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:14 AM

Cecil Harry
Cecil Harry

UPDATE June 23 @ 2:14 a.m.:

The Cincinnati Police Department has canceled the endangered missing adult alert for 67-year-old Cecil Harry.

>> Endangered missing adult alert issued statewide for northern Ohio man, 83

FIRST REPORT June 22 @ 8:21 p.m.:

A 67-year-old Cincinnati man is the subject of an endangered missing adult alert.

Cecil Harry left his residence around 7:30 a.m. and failed to return. He is in need of medication and law enforcement is concerned for his safety, according to the alert.

Harry stands 6 feet, weighs 210 pounds and has gray hair and blue eyes. 

He drives a red 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser with Ohio plates EF74BA.

Anyone who knows Harry’s whereabouts or who spots him is urged to call 911 or 1-866-693-9171.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Gunman demands drugs from Rite Aid in Harrison Twp.

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 7:17 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 11:40 PM

Robbery

An armed suspect demanded drugs and threatened employees Friday night during a robbery at a Rite Aid pharmacy.

The robbery was reported around 7 p.m. at the business, 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.

>> ‘He showed us a gun:’ Robbery victims testify in teen’s carjacking case

“Somebody walked in with a note and asked for prescription drugs and said that he was going to kills us in that note if we didn’t give him what we have,” according to a 911 caller who identified himself as a pharmacy manager.

The suspect was described as a young man who stands 5 feet 7 or five feet 8 inches who was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black pants.

Montgomery County Sheriff's deputies, including a K-9, responded to a robbery June 22, 2018, at the Rite Aid pharmacy at 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.(JIM NOELKER / STAFF)

Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies, including a K-9 unit, were dispatched to the robbery. However, deputies on scene did not comment on the investigation.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Retired Troy firefighter accused of rape posts $200K bond, is released from jail

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:08 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:45 PM

Retired Troy firefighter arrested for rape, son arrested hours later

UPDATE @ 10:45 p.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter accused of rape posted bond and was released from the Miami County Jail.

Jeffrey Paul Covault’s bond was $200,000 cash for the single rape count, which was set during his arraignment this morning.

Covault’s co-defendant Thomas Perkins Jr., 54 — also charged with rape — and his son, 24-year-old Aaron Jacob Covault, charged on an unrelated weapons violation, remain in jail.

UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter and a co-defendant remain in jail on a rape charge, while the son of the former firefighter also remains in jail on a weapons charge. 

Jeffrey Paul Covault, 48, had his bond set at $200,000 cash on a single count of rape. His plea of not guilty was taken this morning. 

>> TRENDING: Kettering officer-involved shooting: Man shot by officer, gun recovered

Thomas Perkins Jr., 54, identified as a co-defendant in the rape case, had his bond set at $200,000 as well. According to authorities, Perkins worked for Covault’s lawn care business. 

Aaron Jacob Covault, 24, had his bond set at $22,000 cash during his court appearance via video in Miami County Municipal Court. 

He is detained in the Miami County Jail on charges of weapon possession as a felon (a felony) and weapons possession while intoxicated (a misdemeanor).

Aaron Jacob Covault, left, and Jeffrey Paul Covault

The elder Covault and Perkins are accused of engaging in sexual conduct with an intoxicated 21-year-old woman on March 2, in the parking lot of The Vault, on North County Road 25A, county Prosecutor Tony Kendell said. According to the indictment, the victim was impaired because of a mental or physical condition and the alleged perpetrators had cause of know of that impairment.

Thomas Perkins Jr.(MIAMI COUNTY JAIL)

Common Pleas Judge Christopher Gee issued a “no contact order” for the elder Covault and Perkins, meaning they are to have no contact with the alleged victim or with each other.

The elder Covault worked as a Troy firefighter/paramedic from May 1996 until he retired April 1, according to city personnel records.

A criminal records check shows he has been convicted for operating a vehicle under the influence in 2011 and for disorderly conduct in 2012.

>> Suspect in Seattle homicide arrested in raid in Dayton

The father and son were arrested hours apart Thursday from the same home, a residence in the 700 block of County Road 25A, north of Troy.

Aaron Jacob Covault, was arrested at the same address hours after his father was taken into custody. Police said the younger Covault was upset over the arrest of his father and discharged a gun.

There were no reports of injuries.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories