Former clients of disbarred attorney get a win from Ohio Supreme Court

Published: Thursday, October 05, 2017 @ 12:04 PM
Updated: Thursday, October 05, 2017 @ 1:36 PM


            Stan Chesley, shown here in 2005, is accused by former clients of attempting to shield millions of dollars from a settlement in a lawsuit. The Ohio Supreme Court Thursday blocked a lower court from considering Chesley’s request to transfer assets from his previous law firm, saying he has engaged in an “ongoing campaign” to shelter assets. (AP Photo/David Kohl)
            DAVID KOHL
Stan Chesley, shown here in 2005, is accused by former clients of attempting to shield millions of dollars from a settlement in a lawsuit. The Ohio Supreme Court Thursday blocked a lower court from considering Chesley’s request to transfer assets from his previous law firm, saying he has engaged in an “ongoing campaign” to shelter assets. (AP Photo/David Kohl)(DAVID KOHL)

Former clients of disbarred attorney Stanley Chesley won a victory Thursday when the Ohio Supreme Court blocked a lower court from considering Chesley’s request to transfer assets from his former law firm.

The Ohio Supreme Court in a 4-3 ruling issued Thursday told Hamilton County Probate Court Judge Ralph Winkler to hold off, even though the lower court has the authority to act.

RELATED: Centerville attorney suspended for overbilling

Chesley, of Cincinnati, was the driving force in mega-lawsuits over the course of decades: the 1977 Beverly Hills Supper Club fire, the downing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, breast implant clients dispute with Dow Corning, sexual abuse victims complaints against the Catholic Church and a civil action involving the diet drug fen-phen.

Nineteen former clients of Chesley are owed millions of dollars that they never got in a class action lawsuit. They say Chesley and other attorneys have stolen millions of dollars from the settlement. The clients, part of the fen-phen case, sued Chesley in 2004.

The Ohio Supreme Court said Chesley is waging an “ongoing campaign” to shelter assets from those who have won settlements against him. In 2014, courts in Kentucky ruled that Chesley owed the clients $42 million.

Both Ohio and Kentucky disbarred Chesley for his conduct in the case.

RELATED: U.S. Supreme Court ends career of one-time superlawyer

Last year, the Ohio Supreme Court issued a similar order against Hamilton County Common Pleas Court Judge Robert Ruehlman for presiding over another Chesley action aim to payment. “And the record in that case is replete with examples of abusive litigation tactics,” the court wrote.

Chesley is married to U.S. District Court Judge Susan Dlott.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Troy man pleads not guilty to assaulting two corrections officers

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 6:05 PM

Marion Cotterman
Miami County Jail
Marion Cotterman(Miami County Jail)

TROY - A Troy man pleaded not guilty Tuesday, April 24, to two felony counts of assault of a corrections officer.

Marion Cotterman, 45, is accused of causing or attempting to cause physical harm to two officers in the Miami County Jail in Troy on March 14. 

TRENDING: A year later, no charges in Dayton dog mauling death

The pleas were heard by Common Pleas Judge Jeannine Pratt, who set bail at $5,000 cash or surety.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Father punches woman trying to kidnap his son, police say

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 5:14 PM

Woman Punched In Face By Father While Trying To Kidnap Son

Police in Tennessee say a father's quick actions stopped his 5-year-old son from being kidnapped Monday.

>> Read more trending news

A man called authorities Monday to report that a woman had grabbed his son and tried to run away from him.

The father punched the woman and got his child back, according to police.

Authorities identified the attempted kidnapper as Gina A. Ricard, 53. Officials said after the incident, she went to a nearby fire station and told them that she tried to stop a kidnapping.

According an arrest affidavit, Ricard was incoherent and said that she “believes God told her (to) help.”

She was arrested and charged with attempted aggravated kidnapping.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton teen sentenced to prison for 2017 killing

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 4:26 PM

A Dayton teen convicted early this month for murdering a 23-year-old man in September was sentenced to 18 years in prison Tuesday, according to a press release from the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s office.

Keith P. Reid was 17 years old when a surveillance video captured him fatally shooting Davion G. McGhee of Huber Heights on Summit Square Drive on Sept. 30, the release said. Reid, who has since turned 18, was tried as an adult because of the severity of the charges against him.

RELATED: Prosecutor files motion to charge teen murder suspect as adult

On April 6 he was found guilty of attempted murder, involuntary manslaughter, tampering with evidence and carrying concealed weapons. 

Once he’s released from prison, Reid will be placed on post-release control for five additional years. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teen accused of murdering mother with help of two friends

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

Teen Allegedly Stabbed His Mother To Death With Help Of Friends

A 15-year-old and his friend drugged, strangled and stabbed his mother to death at a home in Maine, according to court documents.

>> Read more trending news

Kimberly Mironovas, 47, was found stabbed and strangled to death at her home in Litchfield, Maine, early on Sunday morning. 

Police say the woman, originally from Ashland, Massachusetts, was killed by her son and his 15-year-old friend. 

A third teenager, a 13-year-old friend, allegedly helped plan the murder.

According to prosecutors, the 13-year-old came up with a plan to kill Mironovas by crushing prescription pills and mixing them into a glass of wine, but court documents show the boys' attempt to secretly mix in the pills failed.

Mironovas’ son and his friend entered her bedroom wearing gloves and armed with a knife early Sunday morning, according to prosecutors.

Mironovas was found shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday, and police say she had been strangled and stabbed in the neck.

All three boys were arraigned at a juvenile court in Maine on Monday.

The 15-year-old suspects were charged with one count each of murder, and all three were charged with criminal conspiracy to commit murder.

Mironovas and her son had moved to Maine from their home in Ashland, Massachusetts, where former neighbors told Boston 25 News they hope her son gets help. 

"She was a quiet person," said Jim, a former neighbor. "I think her son was troubled a little bit, she had him in a special school."

Mironovas moved from Ashland to Maine about a year ago to attend cosmetology school.

Authorities continue to investigate the case.

Trending - Most Read Stories