Fatal shooting suspect arraigned in court

Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 @ 11:59 PM

Police have released a 911 call in regards to a fatal shooting early Wednesday morning.

UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m. (Nov. 8)

One of two suspects in the deadly Oct. 25 shooting on Riverside Drive appeared for an arraignment today in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

The court entered a plea of not guilty on behalf of 29-year-old Curtis McShann, who is being held in the Montgomery County Jail. Bond was set for him at $1 million.

UPDATE @ 4 p.m. (Nov. 4):

One of two suspects in a shooting last month that wounded three and killed one was indicted today.

Curtis M. McShann, 29, is charged with four counts of murder; five counts of aggravated robbery; four counts of felonious assault; three counts of having weapons under disability for prior offense of violence; and once count each of aggravated burglary; discharge of firearm on or near prohibited premises; improper discharge of a firearm at or into a habitation; and one count of having weapons under disability, according to a Montgomery County grand jury report released today. All counts include three-year firearm specifications, except for the weapons charges.

McShann is being held on $1 million bond and will be arraigned Tuesday

According to prosecutors and police, McShann around 10:45 p.m. Oct. 25 was involved in a shooting in the 3300 block of Riverside Drive. Brandon Lanier, 27, was killed, and three others were shot and taken to a local hospital. McShann and 22-year-old Jamarko E. Walker Jr. were later arrested.

UPDATE @ 4:43 p.m. (Oct. 28): The Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office has approved some charges against Jarmarko Walker Jr. and Curtis McShann – none of which arise from the continuing homicide investigation of this week’s Ryburn Avenue shooting.

Police investigators and a prosecutor’s panel will meet sometime next week, said Greg Flannagan, spokesman for Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr.’s office.

The charges for Walker are single counts of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and weapons possession as a felon. He has a 2014 drug conviction.

The charges for McShann are one count of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon and two counts of weapon possession as a felon. His prior convictions involved a drug offense in 2008 and an offense involving violence, also in 2008.

UPDATE @ 9 p.m. (Oct. 26):

A 27-year-old Dayton man died Tuesday night in a shooting involving dozens of rounds that resulted in three other people being taken to a hospital. It was the city’s 31st homicide of the year.

“Earlier this afternoon, Dayton police homicide detectives arrested two individuals. Right now they are being charged with aggravated robbery; they are persons of interest in the homicide which occurred on Ryburn Avenue last evening,” Dayton police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said. “Charges will be presented to the Montgomery County prosecutor for full review in connection to this homicide.”

The robbery charges stem from an incident that happened before the shooting, the lieutenant said, but it’s not clear whether it is connected to the shooting that killed Brandon Lanier and sent three others to local hospitals for treatment. Ponichtera said three of the people shot were visitors to a home, and that when they emerged the shooting began.

About 50 rounds were fired, but the lieutenant would not release details on how many different calibers or guns were believed to be involved.

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m. (Oct. 26):

Two men were arrested on aggravated robbery charges today, whom police confirmed were also persons of interest in the fatal shooting Tuesday night on Ryburn Avenue.

Dayton police identified the suspects as Curtis McShann, 29, and Jemarko Walker Jr., 22, who were both booked into the Montgomery County Jail this afternoon.

UPDATE @ 12:22 p.m. (Oct. 26):

The Montgomery County Coroner’s office has identified the deceased shooting victim as Brandon Lanier, 27, of Dayton. An autopsy showed Lanier died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Three other shooting victims were treated at Good Samaritan hospital. One remains in critical condition.

Lanier was jailed September 18, 2016 on a drug possession charge. Police have not said the shooting was drug-related.

FIRST REPORT (Oct. 25)

Dayton police said one man is dead and three other people were shot on Ryburn Avenue late Tuesday night.

Officers were dispatched to the 400 block of Ryburn Avenue around 11:45 p.m. on reports of a shooting.

Dayton Police Lt. Mark Ponichtera said when officers arrived on scene, one person, only identified as a black man in his middle to late 20s, was found shot and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ponichtera said while police were investigating the scene, three additional shooting victims were dropped off by a private vehicle at Good Samaritan Hospital.

One of the additional victim has life-threatening injuries, while the other two have non-life threatening injuries.

Investigators said upwards of 50 rounds were shot, but police did not release how many different type of calibers were found. Ponichtera added the incident is not being called a gunfight yet and police are unsure on what led up to the incident.

Two people were being interviewed at the scene by investigators, but police were also unsure of their roles, if any, in the shooting. Police were also in the process of asking neighbors if they witnessed the incident.

Ponichtera said a four-door Chevrolet Impala is believed to have fled during the shooting and is still unaccounted for. The car is described as having bullet holes and is either black with silver doors, or a silver with black doors, as investigators have received conflicting reports on the car’s colors.

Anyone with information on the incident is urged to contact Dayton police.

For updates and more news click here to download our free apps.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Downtown Springfield pizzeria closing

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 5:47 PM

Bada Bing Pizzeria owner Jason Hague serves the staff of The Salvation Army a Red Kettle pizza.  The Red Kettle pizza is a special pizza that will be available during National Salvation Army week.  JEFF GUERINI/STAFF
Jeff Guerini
Bada Bing Pizzeria owner Jason Hague serves the staff of The Salvation Army a Red Kettle pizza. The Red Kettle pizza is a special pizza that will be available during National Salvation Army week. JEFF GUERINI/STAFF(Jeff Guerini)


Bada Bing Pizzeria in Springfield will close on Sunday, according to a post on the business’ Facebook page. 

PHOTOS: Last days of Bada Bing Pizzeria

The post reads in part, “Thank you all for your support over the last few years. We have been blessed beyond measure. What’s next? Stay tuned.”

WHAT’S NEXT? Bada Bing announces new concept for restaurant space

GUIDE: Where to find the best pizza in the Dayton area

The restaurant is located at 40 N. Fountain Ave.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Springfield woman accused of stabbing 79-year-old man charged with attempted murder

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 10:01 AM


            Rebecca Isaac
Rebecca Isaac

A Springfield woman who allegedly stabbed her 79-year-old uncle has been arrested and charged.

Rebecca Isaac, 37, is charged with attempted murder and aggravated robbery in Clark County Municipal Court. She is due in court at 10:30 a.m. this morning.

READ: A Springfield home was shot at, a police report says

Springfield police began their investigation when they were called to a home on the 2100 block of Gerald Drive in reference to a stabbing.

“Upon officers arrival, they located the victim inside the residence and (he) was bleeding profusely from a chest wound. Medics responded and immediately transported him to Springfield Regional Medical Center where his injuries were assessed and because of the severity, he was transported by CareFlight to Miami Valley Hospital,” the affidavit says.

A spokeswoman said the victim is still at Miami Valley Hospital but couldn’t release his condition Thursday morning.

RELATED: Stabbing victim, 79, still recovering, no suspect in custody

The affidavit says there was blood scattered throughout the home and several cabinets and closets were open which appeared to be ransacked.

Officers spoke with a family member who stated she received a call from the victim after the assault and told her that Issac came to his house and stabbed and robbed him of $300, according to the affadavit.

MORE: Springfield woman accused of housing runaway teen for 5 months

“Detectives spoke to the victim at Miami Valley Hospital,” the affidavit says. “He stated he was sitting in his chair when he awoke to a pain in his chest and stated his niece was stabbing him with a knife and demanded $500 at which time he stated ‘Becky do you know what you’re doing?’ and she replied ‘I’m going to kill you if I don’t get the money.’”

Isaac allegedly continued to stab the victim and forced him to retrieve $300 out of a safe.

“Victim had stab wounds to his chest (nicked his arterial vessel, left palm, left bicep, left leg and eight to 10 superficial wounds),” the affidavit says.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man sentenced after claiming he trafficked fentanyl because his mother was kidnapped

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 11:49 AM


            Jose Alonso Rios
Jose Alonso Rios

The man federal prosecutors say trafficked enough fentanyl to kill one million people was sentenced this week to more than five years in prison after claiming he received a videotape showing his mother had been kidnapped.

Jose Alonso Rios, 35, was sentenced in Dayton’s U.S. District Court to 63 months in federal prison for distributing more than 400 grams of fentanyl.

Rios’ sentence was below the non-binding, advisory guideline of 10 years or more.

RELATED: 2 men indicted for trafficking enough fentanyl to kill one million people

“In his mind, Defendant was forced to do this to protect her,” wrote Rios’ defense attorney, Vincent Popp, who noted in a sentencing memo that Rios told officers the story upon arrest. “He was given a phone number to call upon his arrival in the Dayton area. He had no indication how much, or even if, he would be paid upon his return.

“Defendant had to pay his own expenses. While he knew that he was transporting drugs, it appears that he neither knew exactly what nor how much.”

Prosecutors asked for a longer sentence, noting that Rios used a child to assist in drug trafficking and that he was sentenced for having more than 50 pounds of marijuana in Arizona and 27 pounds of cocaine in Oklahoma.

RELATED: From hotel to taco stand: How $3.6 million fentanyl bust went down

“Mr. Rios’ history as a drug courier casts some doubt upon his claim that someone forced him to participate in this current offense,” wrote assistant U.S. attorney Brent Tabacchi in a sentencing memo. “The events of this case seem more an extension of his historical drug trafficking activity than the result of purportedly coercive actions of Mexican drug dealers operating in the United States.”

Another man, Jesus Olegario Vidal Portillo, 21, was previously sentenced to three years in prison for conspiracy to traffic fentanyl.

RELATED: Some area hotels volunteer guest lists to law enforcement

Both were indicted Nov. 30 in Dayton’s U.S. District Court after law enforcement filed a complaint saying they were located with two “bricks” of suspected fentanyl each weighing more than 1,000 grams (2.2 pounds).

The 2,000 grams of fentanyl is an amount a U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency website indicated could cause one million fatal overdoses.

A Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) special agent wrote in the complaint that on Nov. 20, law enforcement around Dayton became aware that Rios was staying at the Comfort Inn on Miller Lane in Butler Twp.

RELATED: ‘Our people are in the game to win’ Large fentanyl bust by task force

Local and federal law enforcement agents including HSI’s Border Enforcement Security Task Force (BEST) observed Rios, his girlfriend and three minor children get into a black Dodge Journey with a Utah license plate, according to the complaint.

Later, at an ER in Huber Heights, and Rios was observed walking in with a blue bag, the complaint said. About an hour later, the special agent wrote, law enforcement saw a minor boy walk out of the ER with the blue bag and leave it near a dumpster.

The complaint said the boy was checking out vehicles and watched as a man — later identified as Vidal — got out of a gray Toyota Corolla and retrieve the bag.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Centerville High School student charged with sexual imposition

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:14 AM

Centerville police say a sexual imposition charge against a 16-year-old boy from Washington Twp. stems from an incident that happened at Centerville High School.

A 16-year-old Washington Twp. boy has been charged with sexual imposition as a result of an ongoing investigation by Centerville police after an alleged incident at Centerville High School.

MORE: Water quality expert: Dayton chemical concerns demand monitoring, attention

John Davis, community relations officer with the Centerville Police Department, confirmed the investigation began on May 5 after an incident on the grounds of the high school.

“The suspect and victim are both juveniles, therefore, the details that I can provide are very limited,” Davis said.

MORE: Centerville mom claims autistic son held in a ‘detention room’ size of a closet

The suspect is a Centerville student, and the matter is now juvenile court.

School officials say that allegations involving sex crimes are taken seriously, and the police were notified immediately.

“We cannot go into much detail since the student involved is a juvenile,” said Sarah Swan, community relations specialist for the school district. “There were school consequences for the student, and the police were notified.”

MORE: Some residents upset with Washington Twp. road widening project

We are working to learn more about the case and will update this story.

Trending - Most Read Stories