breaking news

breaking news

breaking news


Dayton teen attacked by pit bulls recovering, but his dog has died

Published: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 @ 1:23 PM

FROM SCENE: Dayton dog attack

The Dayton teenager who was attacked by two pit bulls Friday night is expected to recover, but his dog Loki was found deceased because of its injuries, Dayton police said Tuesday.

RELATED: Dayton teen remains hospitalized after dog attack

William Talbott, 18, is still at Miami Valley Hospital but is “expected to make a full recovery,” according to Dayton police Sgt. Michael Godsey.

Godsey said detectives are still trying to locate the owners of the dogs that attacked Talbott on Huron Avenue.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Police said Talbott was taken to the hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries when he was injured trying to protect his dog.

The two pit bulls were euthanized by police, according to a call log from the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Troopers plan Warren County OVI checkpoint for Friday night

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 10:04 AM


            OVI checkpoint Friday in Warren County.
OVI checkpoint Friday in Warren County.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol announced that an OVI checkpoint will be held in Warren County on Friday night. The location of the checkpoint will be announced Friday morning.

The OVI checkpoint, funded by federal grant funds, is planned to “deter and intercept impaired drivers,” according to a press release issued this morning.

MORE: One OVI arrest at 2017 checkpoint

In Ohio during 2017 there were 375 OVI-related fatal crashes in which 401 people were killed, according to Lieutenant Chuck O’Bryon, commander of the Lebanon post.

State troopers make approximately 25,000 OVI arrests each year in an attempt to combat these dangerous drivers, according to a release issued by O’Bryon.

MORE: No arrests made at Montgomery County checkpoint

“OVI checkpoints are designed to not only deter impaired driving, but to proactively remove these dangerous drivers from our roadways,” according to the release.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Warren County boy, 11, accused of threatening to shoot up school

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 2:38 PM


            Judge Joe Kirby allowed an 11-year-old Warren County boy to go home with his aunt after being charged with threatening to shooting up his elementary school and another student. Kirby is pictured earlier this month at the defense table in Warren County Juvenile Court, discussing another case.Staff photo by Lawrence Budd
Judge Joe Kirby allowed an 11-year-old Warren County boy to go home with his aunt after being charged with threatening to shooting up his elementary school and another student. Kirby is pictured earlier this month at the defense table in Warren County Juvenile Court, discussing another case.Staff photo by Lawrence Budd

Kings Local Schools issued a statement on Thursday concerning Warren County’s latest school threat case.

“On Tuesday of this week, a Columbia Intermediate School student made two separate threats on the school bus to specific students. The threats were investigated and the student was eventually arrested. The student is not currently in school and it is undetermined if/when the student will return. The parents/guardians of the threatened students have been notified.

The safety and security of our students and staff are a top priority. We will take all necessary precautions to ensure that your child’s experience at school remains focused on learning. Thank you for your continued support of Kings Local Schools,” Dawn Gould, the district’s community relations coordinator said in the statement to district parents.

Yesterday, an 11-year-old Kings Mills boy was allowed to remain free on an aggravated menacing charge alleging he threatened to shoot up his elementary school.

The boy is also alleged to have threatened to bring a Japanese sword and shoot another student at Columbia Elementary School in the Kings Local Schools district, according to charging documents.

MORE: Another Warren County boy sentenced for school threat

During a hearing Wednesday in Warren County Juvenile Court, Judge Joe Kirby appointed a lawyer for the boy who denied the allegations, according to court filings.

Kirby ordered the boy to attend a program at the juvenile detention center in Lebanon for school, treatment and monitoring and to avoid contact with the alleged victim.

The boy was released to his aunt, while awaiting a May 21 hearing.

MORE:10-year-old sentenced in South Lebanon school threat case

It was the second school-threat case heard in the court on Monday and one of about 15 filed since the deadly school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. on Feb. 14.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Miami County man apparently strangled in Warren County cell

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 3:54 PM

A 40-year-old man serving an 18-month sentence for domestic violence in Miami County was apparently strangled to death in his cell at Lebanon Correctional Institution on Monday, according to authorities.

A 40-year-old man serving an 18-month sentence for domestic violence in Miami County was apparently strangled to death in his cell at Lebanon Correctional Institution on Monday, according to authorities.

Kevin Nill was found in his cell on Monday at the prison outside Lebanon, a rope around his neck, and pronounced dead at 9:43 a.m. Monday the Atrium Medical Center, according to Doyle Burke, chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner’s Office.

RELATED: Prison guards didn’t know inmate on bus was being murdered

Nill was to be released on May 24, according to on-line Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction records.

Nill was not hanging when he was found and injuries were consistent with strangulation, which was determined the cause of death, Burke said.

Today the Ohio Highway Patrol investigator assigned to the case declined to comment on the case, while the investigation continued.

Prison officials confirmed the fatality and investigation, but provided no other information.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Jury finds Hamilton man guilty of aggravated murder

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 9:31 PM
Updated: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 9:55 PM

Michael Grevious II found guilty of aggravated murder

Michael Grevious II had been found guilty of aggravated murder by a jury that deliberated more than eight hours today.

Grevious, 25, of Hamilton, was found guilty of aggravated murder for ordering a retaliation shooting at Central Avenue and Knightsbridge on Aug. 3, 2016 that killed two people.

He will face the death penalty.

MORE: Closing arguments made in Hamilton death penalty trial

On the other charges — having weapons under disability and felonious assault — Grevious was found not guilty. Those charges were related to gun violence that killed his relative during the early morning hours of July 24, 2016 at a Hamilton bar.

Attorneys will be back tomorrow afternoon to begin the sentencing face of the trial when the jury will decide Grevious’ sentence.

Grevious’s family members sobbed in the courtroom as they left

“We have more work to do, there is a sentencing phase that starts tomorrw. We are going to go get ready,” said defense attorney David Washington.

Trending - Most Read Stories