breaking news


Dayton police probe allegations against charter school employee

Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 12:46 PM
Updated: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 6:03 PM

Dayton police probe allegations against charter school employee

A Harrison Twp. charter school employee was placed on leave amid school and police investigations into allegations of sexual misconduct against a student.

Renaldo O’Neal, principal of North Dayton School of Discovery, a charter school at 3901 Turner Road, alerted parents Friday in an email.

“Given the nature of these allegations, we have reached out to the parents of two students and to local legal authorities, who began an investigation,” O’Neal stated in his letter. “We have begun our own internal investigation, and, as part of that process we immediately placed this staff member on administrative leave.

RELATED: Charters, Dayton Public close on report cards

This news organization is not naming the employee, because no criminal charges have been filed.

Relatives of an eighth-grader at the school said the girl was sexually assaulted in her own Dayton home a few weeks ago by the male school employee.

A Dayton police report “memo” indicates a detective has been assigned to investigate an “alleged crime” involving a 13-year-old girl. Dayton Police Department officials said Monday that it is a special victims case, and they had no further comment.

On Monday, Leah Nixon, director of communications for National Heritage Academies, which oversees the school and two other Dayton charters, issued a statement.

RELATED: Springboro teacher accused of drug offense

“After we were made aware of allegations against one of our staff, we contacted parents and local authorities, who began an investigation,” Nixon wrote. “We also started our own internal investigation and we are giving our full cooperation to local authorities.”

“Providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students is always one of our top priorities,” Nixon wrote. “Because of the ongoing investigation, we are unable to share additional details at this time.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Miamisburg porch package snatcher indicted on drug charges

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

William L. Alcorn
MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL
William L. Alcorn(MONTGOMERY COUNTY JAIL)

A 31-year-old Miamisburg man who admitted to stealing packages from a porch late last year was indicted today on felony drug charges.

William L. Alcorn is charged with possession of cocaine and aggravated possession of drugs for having methamphetamine, according to a Montgomery County grand jury report released today.

RELATED: Suspected porch package snatcher arrested in Miamisburg ID’d

The charges stem from Alcorn’s Dec. 19 arrest after he was caught stealing packages from porches on Lawrence Avenue in Miamisburg.

He also was charged with misdemeanor theft in that incident. He pleaded guilty in Miamisburg Municipal Court and was sentenced Jan. 4 to 180 days in jail with 163 days suspended plus credit for 17 days. He also was ordered to complete substance abuse treatment and serve two years of reporting probation, online court records show.

READ: MORE LOCAL CRIME NEWS

He was ordered to appear for arraignment May 1 on the drug charges in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ex-Kettering sub teacher sentenced for sex crimes: ‘I cannot express how sorry I am’

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 6:13 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 2:31 PM

Ex-Kettering sub teacher sentenced for sex crimes

UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m.:

Madeline Marx, the former Kettering Fairmont substitute teacher who pleaded guilty to sex charges involving students, was sentenced to five years of community control sanctions for each of two convictions of sexual battery, but will avoid prison. 

Marx was also labeled as a Tier III sex offender, requiring her to register her address every 90 days for the rest of her life.

Marx was ordered to undergo sexual offender counseling, and is not to have contact with any of the victims.

Marx is also not to enter into any Kettering City Schools facilities. 

“I cannot express how sorry I am,” Marx said, tearfully apologizing to the victims and their families. “I just can’t express the remorse that I have.”

FIRST REPORT

Kettering Fairmont substitute teacher Madeline J. Marx is scheduled to be sentenced today on sexual battery charges in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Marx, 24, pleaded and was found guilty of having an inappropriate sexual relationship with two students and was arrested last November. She is to appear today in front of Judge Steven Dankof.

RELATED: Miamisburg school worried ex-teacher flirted a year before sex charges

A 17-year-old student told police he was given oral sex by a teacher July 19 in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike, according to the complaint, affidavit and statement of facts filed in court.

A 16-year-old boy told police he had intercourse with a substitute teacher Sept. 21 in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Smithville Road, according to court documents.

Marx was removed from Fairmont’s building Nov. 8 by police. Marx admitted to having sexual relationships with multiple students, according to court documents.

RELATED: Substitute teacher accused of sex with two students seeks insanity plea

An affidavit said Marx also confessed to sending several nude pictures via Snapchat and Instagram.

A prosecutor’s office press release indicated Marx also substitute taught in Oakwood. School officials in Oakwood sent parents a letter saying that they did not know of any victims in their school district.

State records indicated Marx has a four-year teaching license as a K-12 education intervention specialist.

RELATED: What we’ve learned about Madeline Marx

Marx graduated in 2012 from Chaminade Julienne High School in Dayton and graduated from the University of Dayton in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in education, according to CJ and UD officials.

According to her UD transcript included in her personnel file, Marx withdrew from a fall 2013 class on sexual ethics.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Woman behind the wheel details day of Hamilton drive-by shooting

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Third day of testimony in murder trial of Michael Grevious II

While Melinda Gibby said she had seen Michael Grevious II in person just once — when they were transported to Butler County Jail — she testified he was the person who ordered a retaliation shooting in August 2016 for gun violence at Doubles Bar.

Gibby, along with two others, drove about 90 miles from Fairfield County, Ohio, to Butler County and spent several days driving around Hamilton in search of their target, investigators alleged.

Gibby testified that Grevious’ nickname “Skitzo” appeared on Zachary Harris’ cell phone numerous times in the hours leading up to the drive-by, double-fatal shooting of Orlando Gilbert and Todd Berus on Aug. 3, 2016.

MORE: No plea deal offered to Michael Grevious II

Gibby pleaded guilty in August to avoid the death penalty. For agreeing to testify, she faces 30 years in prison, instead of life, for two counts of aggravated murder.

Melinda Gibby, along with two others, drove about 90 miles from Fairfield County, Ohio, to Butler County and spent several days driving around Hamilton in search of their target, investigators alleged. Gibby testified Friday, April 20, in the death penalty trial of Michael Grevious II, who police say ordered the hit. (NICK GRAHAM/STAFF)

She was the prosecution’s main witness on Friday afternoon, day three of testimony in the death penalty trial of Grevious.

Grevious, 25, of Hamilton, is facing the death penalty if found guilty of aggravated murder for allegedly ordering the retaliation shooting. He is also charged with having weapons under disability and felonious assault for violence that happened one month earlier at the Hamilton bar that has since been razed.

Gibby testified that she, along with Harris and Tony Patete and a cousin, drove from the Columbus area to Hamilton on Aug. 2, 2016 after they were contacted about killing Gilbert. They brought an AK-47 with them, she said, and once in Butler County, tried to purchase bullets at a Walmart. When that failed, Gibby said she bought bullets at a Hamilton gun shop.

They were told, allegedly by Grevious, that Gilbert could be found coaching youth football at Joyce Park. When they found Gilbert’s black Mustang at the park, they didn’t shoot him because there were too many children in the park, Gibby testified.

She said there was “no plan,” but the shooting was going to “just happen.”

MORE:Hamilton death penalty trial: Witnesses fear for their safety

After spending the night in a local hotel, the four of them searched for the black Mustang again. While parked in a shopping center, they saw the Mustang and followed. Gibby said she pulled up next to the Mustang and Harris, who was in the back seat of the truck, handed Patete the gun. Gibby said “a lot” of shots were fired at the car, then she quickly drove off.

A few minutes later, Grevious was called and told the “job was done,” Gibby testified.

Defense attorney David Washington questioned why Gibby, who said she received no money or compensation for the alleged killings, drove from Columbus to Hamilton to participate in the shooting. She didn’t have an answer and said she’s a “better” person now.

Harris and Patete pleaded guilty to aggravated murder to avoid the death penalty and are serving life sentences in prison.

The trial is set to resume at 1:30 p.m. Monday. Judge Greg Stephens instructed the jurors not to discuss or research the case over the weekend.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton airport police sergeant indicted for old child sex crime

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 4:58 PM


            Dayton Airport police Sgt. Christopher Mohn has been indicted on one count of gross sexual imposition for an incident that happened in 1997 or 1998, according to Friday’s Montgomery County Common Pleas Court indictment list. STAFF/File
Dayton Airport police Sgt. Christopher Mohn has been indicted on one count of gross sexual imposition for an incident that happened in 1997 or 1998, according to Friday’s Montgomery County Common Pleas Court indictment list. STAFF/File

A Dayton Airport Police sergeant has been indicted for one count of gross sexual imposition against a child younger than 13, according to Friday’s Montgomery County Common Pleas Court indictment list.

Sgt. Christopher Mohn, 43, was indicted for the third-degree felony but no arrest warrant was issued. Mohn was issued a summons to appear at a May 3 arraignment in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

The case brought by Huber Heights police involved what prosecutors called a “late disclosure” and that the charges stem from alleged incidents between Oct. 31, 1997 and July 11, 1998.

Mohn was promoted to sergeant in 2012, according to a City of Dayton video. That video said Mohn also had served as a corrections officer at the Dayton Human Rehabilitation Center.

Court records show Mohn, who has been on administrative leave, was located at a residence on Sparkhill Drive in Dayton.

A City of Dayton spokeswoman said they didn’t have any immediate comments.

Trending - Most Read Stories