log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, May 18, 2017 @ 9:03 PM
Claudena Helton has been formally charged with two counts of attempted aggravated murder and four counts of felonious assault for allegedly shooting her two children, according to the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.
The children, Khmorra, 8, and Kaiden, 6, remained in critical condition at Dayton Children’s Hospital Friday evening.
The woman jailed on suspicion of shooting two of her children Thursday in Dayton has faced previous allegations involving children.
Claudena Helton was in the Montgomery County Jail Thursday night, pending filing of formal charges.
Claudena Helton was convicted of disorderly conduct in Montgomery County Juvenile Court in March 2014, according to the county prosecutor’s office.
Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said two children, an 8-year-old girl and 6-year-old boy, were wounded with life-threatening injuries when their reportedly mother shot them in the head on Lori Sue Avenue.
Dayton Children's Hospital officials said Khmorra and Kaiden Helton were in critical condition Thursday evening.
Biehl said the mother faced child endangering charges previously but did not elaborate.
This news organization found records of a February 2014, incident in which Dayton police investigated injuries Khmorra allegedly suffered while at the home on Lori Sue Avenue where Thursday's shooting occurred.
In 2014, police were called to the Miami Valley Child Development Center in the 2900 block of Shiloh Springs Road to meet with children services staff.
A teacher at the center noticed that Khmorra, then 5, had bruises on her arms and was telling other children the bruises hurt, according to a police narrative from Officer Charles Hurley.
On closer examination, officials discovered that Khmorra also had swelling and marks on her cheek and a cut on her lip. She had a bruise on her chest and discoloration on her left thigh.
Khmorra told her teacher and investigators that her mother hit her with the buckle end of a belt, the report states.
The girl said her mother hit her repeatedly with the belt while on the bed because she was crying, the report states.
Khmorra's injuries were photographed as evidence.
Authorities' first attempts to reach the mother by phone were unsuccessful. They eventually reached her and instructed her to come into the school.
But the mother, whose name is not listed in the police report — rushed past the school's front desk and went to her 3-year-old son's classroom, where police found her putting on his coat and getting him ready to leave, the report states.
The mother said "she was going to jail and needed to take her kids somewhere first," says officer Hurley's narrative. Hurley told her a decision on charges hadn't been made and he was not planning to arrest her.
The mother said a boy at school touched her daughter's buttocks the previous day and she saw her daughter do it to her brother, which she forbid, police said.
The mom said she spanked her daughter when she did it again.
Hurley told the woman that it looked like she had lost her temper while disciplining her child and went too far. Officials allowed Khmorra's aunt to take the children for multiple days as part of a safety plan.
Hurley told her there would be an investigation and criminal charges potentially could be filed.
"Although I felt the discipline was very excessive, I didn't think it rose to the level of serious physical harm," Hurley wrote. "I made clear to her that that could change once the doctors examined her daughter."
HAVE A TIP? Contact our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or email@example.com
Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 1:39 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 2:15 PM
BUTLER COUNTY — Hundreds of phone calls and text messages as well as the testimony of reluctant witnesses marked the second day of testimony in the death penalty trial of Michael Grevious II.
Grevious, 25, of Hamilton, is facing the death penalty if found guilty of aggravated murder for allegedly ordering a retaliation shooting in August 2016. He is also charged with having weapons under disability and felonious assault for violence that happened one month earlier at a Hamilton bar that has since been razed.
Here are highlights from Thursday in court:
Text message from Lil Mike: ‘Delete everything’
Hamilton Detective Aaron Hucke testified he extracted data from a cell phone belonging to Zachary Harris, who was in the truck on Aug. 3, 2016 when Orlando Gilbert and Todd Berus were shot and killed in what prosecutors say was a retaliation shooting for gun violence at Doubles Bar.
More than 200 calls and texts were placed from Harris’s phone to a number with the contact “Lil Mike the Skitzo” from the end of July 2o16 to Aug. 2, 2016 when “Skitzo” says to “delete everything,” according to Hamilton police.
The messages used slang and referenced a hit on Orlando Gilbert, according to police.
During cross examination, defense attorney David Washington pointed out there was nothing to indicate money had been paid to kill Gilbert. He also noted there was no proof to the identity of “Skitzo.”
Reluctant witnesses takes the stand
Bryann Johnson, cousin of Kalif Goens, who was killed in the shooting at Doubles Bar, took the stand and admitted she didn’t want to be there.
“In fact we had to arrest you, isn’t that right?” Assistant Prosecutor Brad Burress asked her.
She answered, “Yes.”
Earlier this week, Judge Greg Stephens issued warrants for two witnesses who did not show up when subpoenaed.
Johnson said she was at Doubles Bar the night of the shooting and saw a commotion between members of two families.
Grevious was “right there with them,” she said, but didn’t know if he was part of the ruckus.
When shots rang out, Johnson said everyone started running and hiding.
She started screaming for someone to help Kalif Goens.
“He was bleeding. He was just laying there. His eyes were still open,” Johnson said.
Burress asked Johnson if she saw Grevious — known to her as “Lil Mike” — with a gun.
“I can’t honestly say that I did,” she said.
But Burress noted that in her statement to police days after the incident she said she saw a gun in Grevious’ pocket.
Erika Ash, a second reluctant witness, took the stand telling the jury she saw Grevious on top of a pool table shooting at Doubles Bar.
“He was shooting,” Ash said while wiping away tears. She said the shots started flying after people began shoving on the dance floor.
Washington questioned Ash about her alcohol intake at the bar. At the time she was 18 years old. Ash said she had two mixed drinks and had been smoking marijuana earlier in the day.
She could not say specifically how may shots she heard fired or what Grevious was wearing or what the gun looked like, when asked by Washingotn.
“In the middle of all this chaos (shooting, people running) you were able to see Mike on top of the table shooting?” Washington asked.
Ash answered, “Yes.”
Items from crime scene shown
Hamilton Detective Steve Hamilton, crime scene investigator, showed the jury eight large shell casings found at drive-by shooting scene.
Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 6:13 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 2:31 PM
— UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m.:
Madeline Marx, the former Kettering Fairmont substitute teacher who pleaded guilty to sex charges involving students, was sentenced to five years of community control sanctions for each of two convictions of sexual battery, but will avoid prison.
Marx was also labeled as a Tier III sex offender, requiring her to register her address every 90 days for the rest of her life.
Marx was ordered to undergo sexual offender counseling, and is not to have contact with any of the victims.
Marx is also not to enter into any Kettering City Schools facilities.
Marx, through tears, apologizes to the victims and their families, expresses sorrow for what she’s done, says she’s thankful for letters of support and says she’s “so sorry” for all she did. pic.twitter.com/2isOmdyN0A— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) April 19, 2018
Judge says he’s read the arguments from both sides about their desire for Marx’s sentence, says he received 38 letters of support for her. Judge says he reviewed 1 letter from the state of Ohio.(appparently written by a victim’s mother). pic.twitter.com/IqXt0Nf6wn— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) April 19, 2018
Judge calls Madeline Marx and her lawyer forward in preparation of sentencing.— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) April 19, 2018
Judge says one parent of victim asked for prison time for Marx, that another set of parents of a second victim thought community control(probation) would be proper. pic.twitter.com/ZiI5WrUIoj
Kettering Fairmont substitute teacher Madeline J. Marx is scheduled to be sentenced today on sexual battery charges in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.
Marx, 24, pleaded and was found guilty of having an inappropriate sexual relationship with two students and was arrested last November. She is to appear today in front of Judge Steven Dankof.
A 17-year-old student told police he was given oral sex by a teacher July 19 in the parking lot of Big Lots on Wilmington Pike, according to the complaint, affidavit and statement of facts filed in court.
A 16-year-old boy told police he had intercourse with a substitute teacher Sept. 21 in the parking lot of an apartment complex on Smithville Road, according to court documents.
Marx was removed from Fairmont’s building Nov. 8 by police. Marx admitted to having sexual relationships with multiple students, according to court documents.
An affidavit said Marx also confessed to sending several nude pictures via Snapchat and Instagram.
A prosecutor’s office press release indicated Marx also substitute taught in Oakwood. School officials in Oakwood sent parents a letter saying that they did not know of any victims in their school district.
State records indicated Marx has a four-year teaching license as a K-12 education intervention specialist.
Marx graduated in 2012 from Chaminade Julienne High School in Dayton and graduated from the University of Dayton in 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in education, according to CJ and UD officials.
According to her UD transcript included in her personnel file, Marx withdrew from a fall 2013 class on sexual ethics.
Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:17 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 1:16 PM
— UPDATE @ 1:15 p.m. (April 19):
Two people were shot and died from their injuries at a Trotwood apartment complex late Wednesday night, police confirmed Thursday.
Both victims were found shot multiple times inside a car in the complex parking lot, according to investigators.
The victim found in the front seat, identified by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office as Elmer Rucker, 23, of Dayton, was transported to Miami Valley Hospital but did not survive his injuries, police said.
The driver, identified by the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office as Antonio F. Collins, 25, of Dayton, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to investigators.
Additional details were not available.
FIRST REPORT (April 18):
Residents reported hearing eight to 10 gunshots in a deadly shooting Wednesday night at the Pinewood Gardens apartments.
Shortly after midnight, an investigator with the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office was on the way to the complex on Pinewood Circle off West Main Street between End and High streets.
Medics and police were called sometime after 11 p.m. after there were reports of eight to 10 shots fired, according to the Miami County Regional Dispatch Center.
Residents reported hearing gunshots and then seeing ambulances, fire trucks and police cruisers at the rear of the parking lot.
In a 911 call to dispatchers, one resident reported that the multitude of shots actually forced them to get down on the floor inside of the apartment.
It was not immediately clear how many people were shot or injured by the gunfire, nor whether police have any suspects.
Published: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 @ 10:43 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:48 PM
GREENVILLE — UPDATE @ 12:50 p.m. ( April 19)
A total of 28 prisoners were removed from the Darke County jail and taken to neighboring counties as a result of a meth poisoning. 17 were sent to Miami County and 11 were sent to Mercer County. A case is being presented to the grand jury currently to bring charges against the suspect. The Darke County jail will be closed until at least Monday.
The Darke County Jail is shut down after 10 more officers were sent to the hospital Wednesday after a Tuesday meth spill got into air-handling system.
The white powder spilled at the jail around 1 p.m. while Stephen Garner was being booked, according to a release from the Darke County Sheriff’s Office. The powder was identified Wednesday as methamphetamine by the Miami Valley Regional Crime Lab.
Four officers and Garner had to be taken to WayneHealthcare, where they were treated and released. Garner was placed into the Ohio Adult Parole Authority’s custody, deputies said.
The jail resumed normal operations Tuesday and was believed to have been decontaminated.
However, in the morning hours Wednesday, In the morning hours, air-handling units were turned back on in the affected area.
“After several hours of routine operation, deputies and corrections officers began to feel ill and experienced abnormal vital signs,” the release stated.
Five corrections officers were taken to WayneHealthcare, and later as crews worked to identify and contain the situation, five more officers began to show signs of contamination and were taken to the hospital.
“It is believed that the methamphetamine was drawn into a ventilation air handler at the time of the spill,” according to the release. “When the air handler was turned back on it distributed enough methamphetamine throughout the prisoner booking and intake area of the jail to result in toxic exposure to jail staff.”
The Darke County Jail structure operations on multiple separate air-handling units, and other areas of the jail, including inmate wards, 911 dispatch and the road patrol areas were not affected.
However, 28 inmates were taken to Miami County and Mercer County jails and the jail operation will remain shut down until a private environmental contractor can clean and decontaminate the affected area, according to the sheriff’s office.
All sheriff's office numbers, and the 911 communications center, remain in service and will be answered as usual.