log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, October 02, 2017 @ 12:00 AM
Jermar White told a judge Monday what he thought of the bench trial in which he was found guilty of six of eight charges after allegations that he engaged in sex trafficking with two 15-year-old girls.
“This case was obviously corrupt,” said White, 32, of Dayton, during a long diatribe to the court. White alleged that the victims had multiple different statements during the investigation that became identical at trial, that his counsel was ineffective and that some statements had been coerced. “All of this is just wrong.”
After that, Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Timothy O’Connell told White that there was no corruption and sentenced White to prison for 11 years.
O’Connell sentenced White to 10 years and 11 years for the two counts of trafficking in persons, plus three to four years each on other counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, pandering obscenity of a minor and compelling prostitution.
O’Connell said the sentences would run concurrently and that White will be required to register as both a Tier II and Tier III sex offender. White was credited with 511 days of jail-time credit.
“Sir, I saw no corruption,” O’Connell said, saying defense attorney Carl Goraleski’s defense led to not guilty findings on two counts that involved whether White knew the ages of the victims. “Mr. Goraleski did an outstanding job.”
O’Connell told White that all of his rights as a defendant were protected. The judge addressed the defense’s claim that this was the first human trafficking case in Montgomery County to go to trial and special attention was given to it.
“Just because this might be an initial case on a relatively new statute, and the city of Dayton police department and others were aggressive about it, or energetic and worked hard on this case doesn’t mean there was corruption,” O’Connell said. “Yes, this is a relatively new law because it’s a very significant problem in the community.”
O’Connell later told White, “It was disgusting what you did.”
Montgomery County assistant prosecutor Kelly Madzey said, “This really is how human trafficking begins,” she said, adding that the case “was a picture of how young girls and women become trapped in this lifestyle.”
The two victims did not attend the sentencing.
Goraleski said this human trafficking case was a different scenario than slavery or people crammed in trailers in the desert.
“There was no brutality. There was no physical cruelty,” Goraleski said. “Certainly you can argue about the harm that the victims claim they suffered.
“They had every opportunity to leave that residence and one did and came back.”
A co-defendant, Iesha Heard, was sentenced last week to three years in prison.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 7:17 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 11:40 PM
HARRISON TWP. — An armed suspect demanded drugs and threatened employees Friday night during a robbery at a Rite Aid pharmacy.
The robbery was reported around 7 p.m. at the business, 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.
“Somebody walked in with a note and asked for prescription drugs and said that he was going to kills us in that note if we didn’t give him what we have,” according to a 911 caller who identified himself as a pharmacy manager.
The suspect was described as a young man who stands 5 feet 7 or five feet 8 inches who was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black pants.
Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies, including a K-9 unit, were dispatched to the robbery. However, deputies on scene did not comment on the investigation.
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:08 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:45 PM
CONCORD TWP., Miami County — UPDATE @ 10:45 p.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter accused of rape posted bond and was released from the Miami County Jail.
Jeffrey Paul Covault’s bond was $200,000 cash for the single rape count, which was set during his arraignment this morning.
Covault’s co-defendant Thomas Perkins Jr., 54 — also charged with rape — and his son, 24-year-old Aaron Jacob Covault, charged on an unrelated weapons violation, remain in jail.
UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter and a co-defendant remain in jail on a rape charge, while the son of the former firefighter also remains in jail on a weapons charge.
Jeffrey Paul Covault, 48, had his bond set at $200,000 cash on a single count of rape. His plea of not guilty was taken this morning.
Thomas Perkins Jr., 54, identified as a co-defendant in the rape case, had his bond set at $200,000 as well. According to authorities, Perkins worked for Covault’s lawn care business.
Aaron Jacob Covault, 24, had his bond set at $22,000 cash during his court appearance via video in Miami County Municipal Court.
He is detained in the Miami County Jail on charges of weapon possession as a felon (a felony) and weapons possession while intoxicated (a misdemeanor).
The elder Covault and Perkins are accused of engaging in sexual conduct with an intoxicated 21-year-old woman on March 2, in the parking lot of The Vault, on North County Road 25A, county Prosecutor Tony Kendell said. According to the indictment, the victim was impaired because of a mental or physical condition and the alleged perpetrators had cause of know of that impairment.
Common Pleas Judge Christopher Gee issued a “no contact order” for the elder Covault and Perkins, meaning they are to have no contact with the alleged victim or with each other.
The elder Covault worked as a Troy firefighter/paramedic from May 1996 until he retired April 1, according to city personnel records.
A criminal records check shows he has been convicted for operating a vehicle under the influence in 2011 and for disorderly conduct in 2012.
The father and son were arrested hours apart Thursday from the same home, a residence in the 700 block of County Road 25A, north of Troy.
Aaron Jacob Covault, was arrested at the same address hours after his father was taken into custody. Police said the younger Covault was upset over the arrest of his father and discharged a gun.
There were no reports of injuries.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:13 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 3:16 AM
— UPDATE June 23 @ 3:16 a.m.:
Dayton police made four arrests during an OVI checkpoint and a saturation patrol Friday night.
In a release, police said 167 vehicles passed through the checkpoint from E. Third St. and Terry St., and N. Keowee and E. Fifth St. between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. One OVI arrest was made.
Dayton police also conducted a saturation patrol in the area making one OVI arrest, one drug arrest and one felony arrest.
According to the release, 284 vehicles passed through the checkpoint at S. Keowee St. and E. Fifth St. At this location, police made no arrests during the OVI or saturation patrol.
FIRST REPORT June 22 @ 10:21 a.m.:
A sobriety checkpoint will be set up tonight between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. at two locations in Dayton.
The first will be around East Third and Terry streets, near Taqueria Mixteca restaurant. After that, the checkpoint will move to South Keowee Street near East Fifth Street in the Oregon District.
The checkpoint will be operated by the Dayton Police Department, along with members of the Combined Agency OVI Task Force of Montgomery County.
Ohio law requires police agencies to publicly announce the times and locations of checkpoints ahead of time.
The OVI Task Force seeks to reduce the number of crashes involving drunken and intoxicated drivers.
“Driving while impaired is illegal and endangers the lives of everyone on the roadway,” police said.
In 2017, there were 594 crashes involving alcohol in Montgomery County.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 8:21 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:14 AM
CINCINNATI — UPDATE June 23 @ 2:14 a.m.:
The Cincinnati Police Department has canceled the endangered missing adult alert for 67-year-old Cecil Harry.
FIRST REPORT June 22 @ 8:21 p.m.:
A 67-year-old Cincinnati man is the subject of an endangered missing adult alert.
Cecil Harry left his residence around 7:30 a.m. and failed to return. He is in need of medication and law enforcement is concerned for his safety, according to the alert.
Harry stands 6 feet, weighs 210 pounds and has gray hair and blue eyes.
He drives a red 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser with Ohio plates EF74BA.
Anyone who knows Harry’s whereabouts or who spots him is urged to call 911 or 1-866-693-9171.