Coroner IDs remains found in Kettering home, believes man died in 2007

Published: Thursday, July 12, 2018 @ 11:57 AM

Remains found in Kettering home ID'd

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office has identified human remains that had been inside an occupied Kettering house for years before being discovered earlier this year.

Coroner Kent Harshbarger’s office told this news outlet Thursday that the remains were those of Nelson Holford, 66, who lived at the residence, and died of hypertensive arteriolar sclerosis, a disease associated with cardiovascular and diabetic issues. There was no evidence of foul play, according to the coroner’s office.

UNMATCHED COVERAGE: Human remains found in Kettering home: What we know today

Content Continues Below

A coroner’s office official added, “We have not completed the final death certificate yet, but we have an approximate estimate that he (Holford) died on October 1, 2007.”

MORE: Kettering neighbor: ‘How long has that body been dead in that house?’

Kettering Police Capt. Daniel Gangwer said, “Right now, we don’t have any information at this point that would select foul play,” Gangwer said, adding, “I would say that this case is out of the normal.”

Records from the Montgomery County Auditor’s Office revealed that the property is owned by Denny P. Barry, who purchased it in 1994.

Holford reportedly had stayed with Barry because he needed a place to live.

Barry’s daughter, Danielle Barry and her husband, Stefan Renton, found the skeletal remains on May 31 piled in a blanket in the rear bedroom of the house located in the 3000 block of Prentice Drive. The two called 9-1-1 to report it.

MORE: Kettering remains: She came to reconnect with family. What happened next was ‘like a Netflix documentary’

“My 83-year-old father is extremely sick and is needing to go to the hospital,” Danielle Barry told a dispatcher, saying the doors were locked. “He’s not OK. We opened up a window in the back of his house, and my husband says that he saw what might have been a skeleton in that room.”

The property has since been condemned by the city, and Danielle said her father has been moved to a Beavercreek nursing home to rehab.

“He blames me for the what has happened to him,” she said Thursday in a phone interview. “I am still just at a loss to explain why a dead body was in that house for all of those years. I would just like to go through the house and see everything that is in there. Like I said before, this is like a Netflix documentary.”

Danielle Barry said she does not know her father well, noting she moved to Iowa with her mother at age 8, “and pretty much I have never really talked to him again.”

Recently, “some of his friends had called and said he was not doing well, so me and my husband drove to Kettering from New York to check on him,” she said.

Danielle Barry said she only learned three years ago that her father had another daughter, Lori Barry.

Lori Barry, who lives in Virginia, decided to bring her two daughters on May 31 for a family reunion of sorts in Kettering.

Danielle Barry said they found their estranged father bed-ridden with a tumor growing out of his chest and urine in bottles around his bed.

“There was mold everywhere, and it smelled disgusting,” she said. “There was no food in the house, and the water had been shut off for weeks. He was laying in filth.”

Danielle Barry said her family went to dinner, then came back to check on Barry, and that is when they discovered the remains.

MORE: Sugarcreek MetroPark search, connected to Chelsey Coe, has ended

Kim Ritzert, whom Danielle Barry described as her godmother, explained that he was friendly with many people and would not harm anybody. She noted that Holford had been staying with Denny Barry because he needed a place to stay.

“I have known Denny since 1983,” she said. “He wouldn’t hurt anybody and hasn’t been in trouble for anything. And he did want to be a good father.”

Ritzert said that it is still a mystery to many how a dead body would be in the house for so long.

“Denny didn’t want people coming in the house,” she said, noting that many neighbors had said he had not been seen for weeks.

“He kept everything sealed up on the property and maybe that is why nobody noticed anything,” Ritzert said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police nab Springfield bank robbery suspect after pursuit; bond $150,000

Published: Saturday, July 14, 2018 @ 12:02 PM
Updated: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

The EB I-70 ramp to SB I-675 is closed following a police pursuit of a suspect who allegedly robbed the Security National Bank in Springfield at gunpoint Saturday.

UPDATE @ 5:30 p.m. (July 16):

Bond is $150,000 for a Dayton man accused of robbing a Springfield bank on Saturday and leading police on a chase.

Ricky Jenkins, 27, pleaded not guilty today to aggravated robbery and fleeing and eluding during his arraignment in Clark County Municipal Court.

Content Continues Below
Ricky Jenkins(Clark County Jail)

Springfield police said Jenkins had a gun when he robbed Security National Bank, 1756 N. Limestone St. Police spotted the suspect’s car and pursued. Jenkins crashed his car at Interstate 675 and fled on foot. He was apprehended by a Clark County Sheriff’s deputy in the 11000 block of Lower Valley Pike in Medway, police said.

UPDATE @ 3 p.m. (July 14):

The suspect in connection with the Security National Bank robbery was arrested Saturday by deputies with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office in the 11000 block of Lower Valley Pike in Medway, Springfield police Lt. Matthew Buynak said. 

>>Year later, mom of teen killed on Ohio State Fair ride talks of her son’s legacy

The suspect got away with a bag containing an unknown amount of money, the lieutenant said.

The suspect reportedly dropped the bag after he crashed his vehicle at Interstate 675 and fled the scene on foot.

All the money was recovered, Buynak said.

Police are not releasing the suspect’s name at this time.

UPDATE @ 1:25 p.m.:

The ramp from eastbound 70 to southbound 675 is back open after a police pursuit that turned into a foot-chase with a bank robbery suspect.

'A mistake was made' in Stormy Daniels' arrest, Ohio police chief says

UPDATE @ 1:15 p.m.:

Springfield police confirmed one person has been apprehended in connection to the Springfield bank robbery this afternoon.

The arrest was made in the area of Lower Valley Pike, according to police.

UPDATE @ 12:19 p.m.:

The ramp from eastbound Interstate 70 to southbound Interstate 675 is closed following the police pursuit with a bank robbery suspect.

Woman raped during violent Dayton burglary; Michigan man indicted

FIRST REPORT (July 14):

Multiple police agencies are now searching for a man who robbed the Security National Bank at gunpoint in Springfield.

Police ID suspected driver in crash that left 1 woman dead after police pursuit

According to Springfield police, around 11:20 a.m. a man robbed the bank at 1756 N. Limestone St. and fled in a white Buick.

Police scanners reported the suspect was wearing a turban and mask during the robbery.

The suspect reportedly wrecked at the Interstate 675 entrance from Interstate 70 and left southwest on foot.

A gun was found in the suspect’s vehicle after he crashed, according to police scanners.

Police report the last place the man was seen was in a creek nearby.

A K9 unit was requested.

Police are attempting to shut down the ramp to I-675.

Multiple agencies helping this case include the Ohio State Highway Patrol, the Huber Heights Police Department, Clark County Sheriff’s Office and the Springfield Police Department.

Trending - Most Read Stories

OSP releases cruiser cam video in fatal crash following pursuit in Dayton

Published: Saturday, July 14, 2018 @ 2:05 AM
Updated: Saturday, July 14, 2018 @ 11:07 AM

The Ohio State Highway Patrol has released cruiser cam video of a pursuit that started on Gettysburg Avenue and ended in a crash.

UPDATE @ 4:45 p.m. (July 16):

The Ohio State Highway Patrol has released the cruiser camera video today from a fatal crash Saturday following a pursuit.

Content Continues Below

UPDATE @ 10:54 a.m.:

The Ohio State Highway Patrol’s Dayton Post has identified the driver involved in a fatal crash Saturday in Dayton following a pursuit.

>> Pedestrian struck by vehicle in Greenville airlifted to hospital

Thurston Melson, 37, was driving a 2007 Dodge Magnum on Gettysburg Avenue near Oakridge Drive when a trooper attempted to initiate a traffic stop, according to a release from the OSP.

Melson reportedly failed to stop and fled onto Oakridge Drive. According to OSP, the vehicle ran a stop sign and struck a utility pole.

Melson was taken to Miami Valley Hospital and was listed in serious condition. 

His passenger, Ebony Radford, 35, died at the scene, troopers said.

The crash remains under investigation.

UPDATE @ 9:57 a.m.:

Ebony Radford, 35, of Dayton was pronounced dead at the scene of a crash after a short police pursuit in Dayton Saturday, Montgomery County Coroner’s Office confirmed.

>>Woman raped during violent Dayton burglary; Michigan man indicted

Radford was as passenger of the vehicle that failed to stop at a traffic stop around 1:40 a.m. at Gettysburg Avenue and Oakridge Drive.

The identity of the driver has not been released, but he was taken to Miami Valley Hospital in stable condition, according to the highway patrol.

UPDATE @ 3:59 a.m.:

A female passenger involved in a car crash after a police pursuit was pronounced dead at the scene, Ohio State Highway Patrol Sgt. Matt Robinson said.

The accident occurred shorty before 1:40 a.m. Saturday after a trooper initiated a traffic stop at Gettysburg Avenue and Oakridge Drive.

Robinson said the car failed to stop, turned right on Oakridge Drive then lost control and crashed into an RTA pole after a short, 20-second pursuit. The rear end of the vehicle split in half on impact.

The driver of the vehicle, identified as male, was transported to Miami Valley Hospital in stable condition.

Robinson said the trooper was not injured.

The victims’ identities have not been released.

Female passenger pronounced dead at scene of Dayton crash involving police pursuit

UPDATE @ 2:34 a.m.:

Dayton police have arrived to assist Ohio State Highway Patrol units in an accident near Oakridge Drive and Cleverly Road that occurred after a police pursuit.

An ambulance escorted by police has left the scene.

FIRST REPORT

Ohio State Highway Patrol units are on scene of a car crash near Oakridge Drive and Cleverly Road in Dayton that reportedly occurred after a short police pursuit.

OSP confirmed units were dispatched to the scene at 1:40 a.m. Saturday.

Scanner reports indicated the two people inside the vehicle have to be extracted because the doors will not open. One person is reportedly unconscious.

We are on our way to the scene and will update this story as more details become available.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

d

Trending - Most Read Stories

Department of Justice indicts 7 people for stealing $1.5M in online dating scam

Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 4:43 PM

The U.S. Department of Justice indicted seven Nigerian nationals on charges of conducting an online dating scam that cost victims more than $1.5 million. (Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash)
rawpixel on Unsplash
The U.S. Department of Justice indicted seven Nigerian nationals on charges of conducting an online dating scam that cost victims more than $1.5 million. (Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash)(rawpixel on Unsplash)

Seven Nigerian nationals have been indicted for conducting an online dating scam that cost lovelorn victims more than $1.5 million, the United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia said in a Friday news release.

>> Read more trending news 

The seven defendants created fake profiles on dating sites, sometimes using images of government officials or models, the Justice Department said. The defendants would carry on relationships for months over online messaging, texts and phone calls, tricking “lonely individuals into giving them money,” U.S. Attorney Byung J. “BJay” Pak said in the release

Content Continues Below

“Some victims lost hundreds of thousands of dollars from their retirement savings or inheritances,” Pak said. 

After gaining love and trust over multiple months, the defendants would create “elaborate false stories” in order to convince victims to send them money via wire or online transfers, according to the release. Between the seven, they are charged with 60 counts of wire fraud, money laundering, identity theft and use of false passports.

The defendants are:

  • Olu Victor Alonge, a.k.a Serge Damessi, a.k.a. Didier Baraze, a.k.a. Mobo Marcus Adeh, a.k.a. Ayo Baraze, a.k.a. Nicolas Soglo, 34, of Newnan
  • Ugochukwu Lazarus Onebunne, a.k.a. Policap Tizhe, a.k.a. Saheed Ademoha, 41, of Douglasville, Georgia.
  • Olajide Olalekan Adara, a.k.a. Kelvin Mensah, 33, of Loganville, Georgia.
  • Joshua Adedeji Ipoade, 28, of Atlanta.
  • Oladunni Temitope Oladipupo, 24, of Lynn, Massachusetts.
Two other defendants have not been apprehended, and their identities have not been made public. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Ex-political candidate indicted over actions during Springboro police stop

Published: Monday, July 16, 2018 @ 12:33 PM

A police report released today shows the incident resulting in the arrest of Samuel Ronan, 28, of Springboro began after a patrolman observed as a ??€œroad rage incident between two vehicles.??€ It also indicates dispatch advised the patrolman that Ronan had a ??€œconcealed weapon license??€ and ...

A Warren County grand jury has indicted Samuel Ronan, the former political candidate arrested on June 9 after a struggle with Springboro police that he streamed for Facebook Live.

RELATED: Ex-political candidate free after alleged Springboro road rage

Ronan, 28, of Springboro, is charged with obstructing official business, a fifth-degree felony; and failure to comply with an officer, and resisting arrest, first-degree misdemeanors.

Content Continues Below

RELATED: Recent congressional candidate arrested while streaming live on Facebook

Ronan remains free, pending his arraignment in the common pleas court on Aug. 3.

Locally, Ronan ran against Congressman Steve Chabot in the May Republican primary in the 1st District which includes Warren and Hamilton counties, and two years ago as a Democrat, he contested the election of state Rep. Scott Lipps.

Ronan also ran for Democratic National Committee chairman in 2017 and gained attention in appearances on CNN.

Trending - Most Read Stories