log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 @ 4:34 PM
INDIANA — Police are investigating after emergency crews pulled a car out of a frozen pond Monday night in Allen County, Indiana.
When emergency crews arrived, they found a car submerged in a frozen pond. First responders had to use a chain saw to cut a hole in the ice to get to the car.
Divers from the Department of Natural Resources were later called to the scene. They went into the frigid water and hooked chains to the car to pull it out.
Police confirmed at least one person, possibly two, were found dead inside the car. No other details about the victims were immediately available while officials notified family.
Investigators determined the vehicle had been in the water for more than 24 hours before it was discovered.
It’s not clear what led to the call for crews to respond, but it was initially called out as a water rescue..
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:44 PM
Updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:56 PM
OAKWOOD — Oakwood school officials released details of its investigation into a threat made on social media to the school.
A concerned parent said a one-call alert was made from Principal Paul Waller, who said an Oakwood student posted a threat on social media but had removed the threat. Details of the threat were not made available.
The school district issued the following statement regarding the incident.
“On Friday, May 25, Oakwood High School administrators were made aware of a possible threat of violence at the school that had been sent via Snapchat by an OHS student. Upon learning of the threat, administrators immediately reported this communication to the Oakwood Safety Department, and officers were sent to the school.
“Police investigated and determined it was not a credible threat. No weapons were found. The student who sent the message was taken into custody by OSD. The case will be referred to the Montgomery County Juvenile Prosecutor’s Office for potential charges.”
As part of the schools’ safety plan, students are taught if they see or hear something to say something, officials said. “Students followed that example today and reported the message to administrators,” the statement said, allowing the district and police to intervene.
“We understand situations such as this are concerning to parents, students and the Oakwood community. Oakwood Schools safety procedures, which have been put in place in the best interest of our students and staff, were followed. All are safe and classes have continued in session as normal.”
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:46 PM
BUTLER COUNTY — Three men have been sent to prison for an incident involving the sexual assault of a woman who was visiting Oxford in February.
In April, Roger Richard Michael Simpson, 24, of Cincinnati, was found guilty of 23 felony crimes, including 10 counts of rape, sexual battery, complicity to rape and kidnapping after a four-day trial. On Friday, Butler County Common Pleas Judge Michael Oster sentenced him to 51 years in prison.
Elijah Lee Mincy, 22, of Oxford, who was charged with 23 felony crimes, but took a plea deal pleading guilty to rape and kidnapping, was sentenced to eight years in prison.
The third defendant, Rodney Adrian Louis Gibson II, 22, of Cincinnati, was charged with 26 felony crimes, but also took a plea deal, pleading guilty to complicity to kidnapping. He was sentenced to five years in prison.
The crimes involved a woman, who was 19 years old at the time, who was visiting Oxford on Feb. 11 and 12, 2017. The assault occurred in an off-campus apartment complex on Southpointe Parkway, according to Oxford police.
The victim was intoxicated at a party at the apartment and went with one of the men to another apartment where the assault occurred, police said.
Prosecutors say the three men assaulted the woman and held her against her will for about 90 minutes at the residence before the woman rejoined her friends and told them she had been raped.
The victim addressed each man during the separate sentencing hearings.
“Before you I was fearless … I was looking forward to my future,” the victim told them.
She said she now had difficulty with everyday life.
“My body, my life, my choice was nothing to you,” she said.
Simpson’s attorney Donald Leroy pointed out to the judge that he has a 1-year-old son and he would like to remain active in the child’s life. There were also a number of church members in attendance in support of Simpson.
“He is sorry for his actions,” Leroy said.
In his address to the judge, Simpson offered an apology to his son and mother “for putting them through the pain of me having to go to prison.”
He quoted scripture and said he would pray for the victim, but did not offer an apology.
Both Mincy and Gibson, who was the person the victim went to visit prior to the assault, did apologize for their actions.
Defense attorneys for Mincy and Gibson pointed out the men and no previous criminal history, were high school graduates and, at the time of offenses, were enrolled at Miami University.
Michele Temmel, Mincy’s attorney said, “friends and family when I talk to them about Elijah, they describe him as being kind, thoughtful, a hard worker, trustworthy and respectful.”
A number of family members, some sobbing, spoke to the judge on Gibson’s behalf.
Defense attorney Scott Kruger said Gibson is “very selfless and interested in the welfare of others.”
“He is remorseful,” Kruger said, pointing out that Gibson apologized to the victim soon after the incident.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:25 PM
MASON — Charges have been filed in the fatal crash that took the life of a 53-year-old Butler County woman earlier this month along the Warren-Butler county line.
Charges of vehicular manslaughter, a second-degree misdemeanor, and assured clear distance, a minor misdemeanor, will be filed against John Cowdrey of Liberty Township, according to a press release issued this afternoon by the Warren County Sheriff’s Office.
The charges stem from the May 11 crash that allegedly resulted in the death of Tina Campbell and injuries to Aaron Reed, two passing drivers who stopped to help after another crash on Butler Warren Road.
The Butler County woman’s death heightened residents’ concern about traffic safety in the fast-growing area along the Butler-Warren county line, east of Interstate 75.
Campbell, 53, of Liberty Twp., died May 14 from injuries suffered on May 11 as she was helping victims of a crash on Butler-Warren Road at Heritage Club Drive.
Campbell, a wife, mother and grandmother, was popular with neighbors.
According to the crash report, Campbell and Reed, 49, of Mason were out of their cars giving aid to Jagdish Makkar, 83, of Beavercreek, and Ciarra Witt, 18, of Monroe, after their crash at the entrance to the Heritage Club development. A 2011 Mazda CX-9 driven northbound on Butler-Warren Road by Cowdery swerved to avoid the disabled vehicles and “rotated counter-clockwise” into Campbell and Reed.
Campbell was pronounced dead at West Chester Hospital. None of the others was left with incapacitating injuries, according to investigators.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:20 AM
ATLANTA — Residents at Aspire Lenox Park Apartments in Atlanta are wondering what it will take to stop the recent spike in car break-ins at their complex.
“It’s not like they’re breaking into unlocked cars. They’re all locked cars, and it’s just -- there’s no rhyme or reason,” resident Bailey Beckham said.
Atlanta police told WSB 28 cars were targeted, mostly in the parking deck.
“I hadn’t heard that number. I know there were eight the other weekend, but 28 is a lot,” resident Alex King said.
"It's kind of scary because we don’t know why or what's going on or how we're going to stop it. It’s just nerve-racking,” Beckham said.
The break-ins have been especially frustrating for victims like Ryan Colley, who had nothing visible in his car and nothing taken.
“It’s devastating and it hurts because we had to pay out of pocket. Our deductible, of course, and the insurance is $500, and anything below that you have to pay out of pocket,” Colley said.
Residents said they received emails about increased patrols and security, but there are mixed opinions on the results so far.
“They say they’re going to hire some security. I haven’t seen anything yet,” Colley said.
“I guess that's helpful, but I just don’t know how we’re going to stop it if we don't know how many people or where or when,” Beckham said.
“Maybe setting up cameras in the area, so if they don’t catch the people and this continues to happen, at least they have cameras and can find them a little easier,” King said.