Buried baby in Riverside: Big questions remain after body discovered

Published: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 @ 8:53 AM

Neighbors say they spotted police digging in a back yard Sunday night and early Monday Morning

Riverside police are investigating how a baby girl born in December ended up buried in a residential backyard.

Addalynn Marie George, born Dec. 21, 2017, was found dead Sunday night behind a home in the 4500 block of Richland Avenue, according to Riverside police records and the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. 

MORE: ‘It’s tragic:’ Buried baby found in Riverside backyard

This news organization is seeking answers to five questions about the case:

1. How did she die?

A cause of death had not yet been determined, the coroner’s office said.

2. When did the infant die? 

Though an autopsy was performed Monday, it is unclear if police or the coroner have determined the exact age of the child at her death. Also unclear is the baby’s place of birth. After repeated searches on behalf of the newspaper Monday, officials with Public Health — Dayton & Montgomery County could not locate a birth certificate for the child.

» MORE: Judge makes strongly worded response in Carlisle buried baby case

3. How long were her remains buried in the yard?

It is not immediately clear how long the remains were buried in the yard. Neighbors said they watched as large trucks with portable lights illuminated the backyard Sunday. Others said they were shocked the child was found dead.

4. How did police learn about the case?

A Kettering police officer informed Riverside police of the incident, according to a police dispatch log, but no more has been disclosed publicly about what alerted Kettering to the situation originally. Riverside officers went to the Richland Avenue home around 5:30 p.m. Sunday. The infant was discovered with the help of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Colon said. Evidence was collected and digital images were taken, according to the log.

5. Will anyone face charges?

Police said they are talking with dozens of witnesses about the circumstances and are also talking with a couple they believe are the child’s parents. There are no suspects in custody and the investigation is ongoing, Maj. Adam Colon told the Dayton Daily News.

Trending - Most Read Stories

$1 million bond for suspect in fatal Hamilton shooting

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 3:05 PM


            Broderick Malik Jones Roberts talks with his attorney David Washington during his arraignment Thursday in Butler County Common Pleas Court. LAUREN PACK/STAFF
Broderick Malik Jones Roberts talks with his attorney David Washington during his arraignment Thursday in Butler County Common Pleas Court. LAUREN PACK/STAFF

Bond was increased Thursday in Butler County Common Pleas Court for a Hamilton man who allegedly killed a man in his vehicle earlier this month.

MORE: Hamilton man facing several charges from weekend shooting

Broderick Malik Jones Roberts, 20, was indicted last week for aggravated robbery, felonious assault and having weapons under disability for allegedly shooting Jaspreet Singh, 32, of Monroe.

Singh has since died of his injuries, and prosecutors said they will now seek a murder indictment against Roberts.

Roberts’ attorney David Washington entered a not guilty plea on his client’s behalf and acknowledged a murder indictment is expected next week.

Washington asked for reasonable bond, but prosecutors noted the seriousness of the crime and Roberts’ past criminal history.

Judge Jennifer McElfresh set bond at $1 million. Bond was previously set at $125,000 in Hamilton Municipal Court. Roberts is scheduled to be back in court May 31.

NEW DETAILS: Cabela’s rifle thief may be connected to other crimes

Singh suffered a gunshot wound to the upper torso on May 12, according to a Hamilton Police report. He died Monday, according to Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser.

Roberts allegedly shot Singh “while he sat in his vehicle on the Chestnut Avenue side of 502 East Ave., ” according to court documents. The shooting occurred at about 10:30 p.m. May 12.

Manjinder Singh, a friend of Singh who is not related to him, said his friend was a devoted father and husband who leaves behind four young children.

Jaspreet Singh was a native of India who had been in the U.S. for about eight years, according to his friend.

WATCH: U.S. Marshals surround Warren County house; take man into custody

“He was very well know and well liked in the Sikh community,” Manjinder Singh said, noting his friend helped manage area stores but must recently was employed as a truck driver.

Jaspreet Singh was active at the Guru Nanak Society in West Chester Twp., he said.

“It is just senseless,” Manjinder Singh said. “There is no way he would have engaged in any type of wrong activity. He would have just walked away.”

Roberts was sent to prison in 2016 after pleading guilty to trespass, unlawful restraint and assault, according to Butler County court records.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Springfield family wants justice for Huber Heights man found dead at park

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:35 PM

A Huber Heights man's body was found in a Springfield park Tuesday morning. His death has been ruled a homicide.

A family member will remember the man found dead at a Springfield park as a good person and hopes those responsible for his death will be brought to justice.

Cedric Holt Jr., 34, was killed and his body found in a vehicle at Virgil Mabra Park in the city Tuesday morning. Police are investigating his death as a homicide, Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf said. There are no suspects in the case right now, he said.

MORE: Death of Huber Heights man found in Springfield park ruled a homicide

Holt’s cousin, Gene Cameron, said he was a caring person.

“He was a kind-hearted, very loving man,” Cameron said in a Facebook message to the Springfield News-Sun. “He was all about taking care of his family by any means.”

Holt didn’t deserve what happened to him, Cameron said.

“I love my cousin very much and I’m heartbroken over what happened to him,” he said. “All I can think about is what he went through that night. I know he was terrified.”

READ: Springfield man found dead in Mabra park

The family hopes justice is served, Cameron said.

“He will definitely be missed and forever loved,” he said. “I really hope they get to the bottom of it and find whose responsible.”

Just before Holt’s body was found Tuesday, authorities in Huber Heights responded to a home on Shull Road where two boys, one being Holt’s 14-year-old son, had been tied up in a home invasion. The home had been ransacked, according to 9-1-1 calls.

Springfield and Huber police are investigating both cases, but say they are unsure if they are connected.

Cedric Holt Jr. PHOTO CONTRIBUTED BY FAMILY

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: U.S. Marshals surround Warren County house; take man into custody

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:37 AM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 1:45 PM

U.S. Marshals take suspect into custody in Warren County raid

UPDATE @ 11 a.m.:

A man has been taken into custody without incident at the Franklin Twp. home.

A man was taken into custody at about 11 a.m.(NICK GRAHAM/STAFF)

INITIAL REPORT:

U.S. Marshals and Warren County law enforcement are at a Franklin Twp. residence this morning for a person who reportedly is not coming out for warrant service, according to police scanner traffic.

MORE: 44 people indicted in Butler, Warren counties

At about 9:50 a.m. the Marshals were at a residence in the 3600 block of Wilson Farms Boulevard to serve a warrant for escape.

The person was reportedly hiding in the attic and not coming out, according to scanner traffic.

We have a crew on the scene and will bring you more information as it develops.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Jail pepper-spray criminal case: Plea reached, sentencing Tuesday

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:02 PM

Brookville woman pepper sprayed in seven-point harness at Montgomery County Jail

The Montgomery County Jail pepper-spraying of a restrained inmate that sparked a national news story, an internal Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office investigation, a federal probe, a civil lawsuit and calls for jail oversight could end Tuesday with a misdemeanor plea and sentencing.

Judith Sealey — shown on surveillance video pepper-spraying Amber Swink while Swink was in a 7-point harness in November 2015 — will have a pretrial and sentencing hearing next week instead of a trial in Dayton Municipal Court, according to court documents obtained by this newspaper.

RELATED: No plea deal yet in jail pepper spray case

The lawsuit brought by Swink was was settled for $375,000. A jail oversight committee was formed in the wake of county commissioners calling for a second federal investigation. Federal officials haven’t publicly announced any findings into its first probe.

A joint motion approved Thursday by a visiting judge shows Cincinnati city prosecutors and Sealey’s attorney “have reached a negotiated plea agreement and wish to avoid unnecessary inconvenience to the court and prospective jurors.”

RELATED: Jail captain in pepper-spray case takes medical retirement

The motion signed by Cincinnati Prosecutor’s Office assistant prosecutor Natalia Harris and defense attorney Anthony VanNoy does not address what the plea agreement is or if Sealey will serve any jail time, probation or fines.

The motion contains an agreed entry and order to change Tuesday’s event from a trial to a pretrial and sentencing hearing.

RELATED: New trial date set for former jail captain’s trial

VanNoy did not return a message seeking comment. Harris has said she will not comment on pending cases.

A scheduled pretrial hearing May 4 did not result in anything being put on the record in court in front of visiting Judge Judge Chris Martin, formerly of Fairfield County.

SPECIAL PROJECT: Justice in the Jailhouse: Lawsuits, accusations plague region’s county jails

Martin and Harris are on the case so as to not present the appearance of conflict of interest from the Dayton Prosecutor’s Office, which often works with area law enforcement.

Sealey, a sergeant at the time of the incident, has retired on medical disability, so there will be no further internal investigation, according to Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer.

RELATED: Former jail sergeant alleges cover-up of pepper-spray incident

Several current or former jail employees have been served subpoenas in the case, during which a grand jury declined felony charges.

The plea agreement means those witnesses will not take the stand to address issues relating to missing documentation of the incident.

RELATED: Complete timeline of pepper-spray incident at Montgomery County Jail

A previously unscheduled hearing was held Feb. 12 in which Sealey’s trial was continued from March 22. Sealey had pleaded not guilty.

Plummer has said Sealey was disciplined for not filing a use of force report, but not for her actions, which he said he didn’t see until he saw them online.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Video of the pepper-spraying came to light months after the incident when Swink’s attorney, Douglas Brannon, posted it on his website.

Brannon, who has other clients suing jail personnel, declined comment Thursday.

Trending - Most Read Stories