LIVE VIDEO:


Alleged ‘Mall Boys’ gang member sentenced for trafficking fentanyl

Published: Thursday, March 08, 2018 @ 12:15 PM


            Darion Stargell
Darion Stargell

An alleged member of the “Mall Boys” gang with a “direct connection” to drugs in Mexico was sentenced Thursday to 10 years in prison.

Darion L. Stargell, 28, was the target of an January 2017 investigation that concluded with shots fired at someone else at the Hawthorne Suites near the Dayton Mall.

Stargell pleaded guilty in Dayton’s U.S. District Court last fall to conspiracy to trafficking fentanyl, heroin and tramadol. He and seven other co-defendants were named in a 15-count indictment.

RELATED: 8 indicted for fentanyl trafficking, one an alleged ‘Mall Boys’ member

U.S. District Court Judge Thomas Rose said Stargell was to serve his time concurrent to his four-year Montgomery County Common Pleas Court sentence for trafficking in cocaine and having weapons while under disability.

“I’m not perfect by far but I am a work in progress willing to make changes,” Stargell said, admitting that he’s spent about half the 10 years of adulthood in prison and now faces a fifth drug-related conviction. “I can be a productive citizen.”

Assistant U.S. attorney Brent Tabacchi said he hopes Stargell — who he said claimed he had a direct connection to drugs in Mexico — can turn over a new leaf, but the prosecutor advocated for the top end of an agreed-upon range of 6 to 10 years.

RELATED: 3 officers cleared in shooting at Miami Twp. hotel

The non-binding sentencing range for Stargell was calculated at 151 to 188 months. The statutory maximum for Stargell’s crime was 20 years in prison.

Rose told Stargell he heard the defendant’s pleas that he’s a changed man but said it was rare for a 28-year-old to reach career criminal status.

“People are all over the Miami Valley are dead from fentanyl, do you understand that?” Rose asked. “Now you are saying you have seen the light?

“I think you would have realized before now that you were not going to meet a good end with this kind of criminal activity.”

RELATED: First of 3 ‘Diamond Cut’ members pleads guilty to drug trafficking

Stargell has earned about 300 days of jail-time credit, according to common pleas court documents.

Rose also ordered Stargell to undergo drug treatment and counseling, to submit to DNA testing, to work toward his GED, get vocational service programming and perform 40 hours of community service in the first of his four years of supervised release.

Stargell shook his head when Rose announced the decision and later told several of his supporters in the courtroom that he couldn’t believe the sentence.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Stargell, who Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer said is suspected as being part of the Mall Boys last year was arrested after an incident in which law enforcement thought he drove a pickup that rammed into R.A.N.G.E. Task Force officers, who returned fire and grazed another man at the Hawthorn Suites near the Dayton Mall.

The status of the other co-defendants: Fermin Garcia-Gutierrez pleaded guilty and is scheduled to be sentenced April 6; Jose Angel Ramirez-Nazario pleaded guilty and was sentenced Jan. 31 to time served; Sergio Candelas-Ruiz’s case is ongoing; Lizabeth Ruiz pleaded guilty and is scheduled to be sentenced May 8; Marcus Williams’ and Kuron Evans’ cases had scheduling conferences scheduled for Thursday; Jorge Bejarano’s case is ongoing.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Man shot in Dayton, 1 suspect in custody

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 1:30 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

Police have one man in custody after a man was shot in Dayton Sunday.

>>Officer-involved shooting is Kettering’s third within a year

Multiple crews arrived to the scene where a victim was found with at least one gunshot wound in the 1500 block of Meriline Avenue around 12:50 a.m., according to Sgt. Kyle B. Thomas of the Dayton Police Department.

Police had several witnesses that lead them to two male suspects after investigating. One suspect is in custody, said Thomas.

>>WATCH: Police shocked during scuffle in Dayton, officers injured

The victim was transported to Miami Valley Hospital by medics with non-life threatening injuries. 

He was later released but has not been cooperative with investigators, according to Thomas.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Amber Alert canceled after 2 Urbana boys found safe; suspect still sought

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:15 AM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:08 PM

Suspect sought after Amber Alert issued

UPDATE @ 12:08 p.m.:

An Amber Alert has been canceled after two Urbana boys were found safe.

The suspect and vehicle still have not been found.

FIRST REPORT

An Amber Alert is active for two boys reported abducted from Urbana.

They were reported missing at 7 a.m. from Maplewood Circle after their grandparents awoke to find them gone, according to a release from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

The first boy is Justin Wallace Jr., 7, a biracial boy with black hair who stands 4 feet 5 inches and weighs 72 pounds. There was no further descriptive information available.

The second boy is Aaron Rollins, 9, a white boy with brown hair and hazel eyes who stands 4 feet, 11 inches and weighs 72 pounds. He was last seen wearing a maroon and white T-shirt and camo high-top tennis shoes.

VIEW MORE CRIME NEWS

The suspect, Jamie Rollins, 39, is the non-custodial mother. She is believed to be driving a taupe Kia Optima with Ohio plates 347YSL. She is described as a white woman with red hair and blue eyes who stands 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 223 pounds.

Anyone with information on their whereabouts or who spots them is urged to call 911.

For more information visit the Ohio Amber Alert website.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Fairfield police ID victims in officer-involved shooting

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 5:06 PM


            Nick Graham/Staff
Nick Graham/Staff

It wasn’t the first time officers had been called to a Fairfield apartment where police said Friday they confronted and killed a man as he stabbed a woman, records show.

And the same home in the 1500 block of Gelhot Drive was the site of an earlier complaint by the woman claiming the man — who is described in police records as her boyfriend — had tried to poison her.

That’s according to new information released to this media outlet Saturday by Fairfield Police in the aftermath of one of their officers shooting to death the male suspect, who has now been identified along with the female victim, who died from her stab wounds.

The Butler County Coroner’s office released a statement saying the stabbing victim was 37-year-old Michelle R. Henry. Logan A. Willliamson, 37, died at the scene after being shot by Fairfield Police as he was stabbing Henry. Henry later died at Mercy Hospital-Fairfield.

MORE: Fairfield man, woman dead after police gun him down during knife attack

The first Fairfield officer on the scene, identified as Officer Bryan Carnes, a three-year veteran, allegedly found Williamson stabbing Henry inside the townhouse.

In an attempt to stop the stabbing, Carnes fired two shots, striking Williamson. He was pronounced dead at the scene, said Fairfield Police Chief Steve Maynard.

Police records show officers had previously been called to respond to the couple’s address in September 2017 on a domestic violence report where Williamson was arrested for attacking Henry.

Henry told officers “her boyfriend tried to poison her by placing (sic) dissolvable sleeping pills in her mouth while she was sleeping.”

Police records also showed that in recent years Williamson had been arrested for fleeing police after speeding, carrying alcohol and a weapon in a car on another occasion.

And the woman’s family members had asked police to stop at the address last year to check on Henry, saying they had not heard from her for an extended time.

Dispatchers received the 911 call for the incident at 5:49 a.m. Friday at a townhouse located in a quiet neighborhood off Pleasant Avenue. A female caller blurted out the address then continues to scream for help during the three-minute, 20-second call.

“He’s stabbing me!” the woman screams once.

The dispatcher continues to ask the woman to repeat the address.

“Please yell your address to me so I can send help,” the dispatcher says. “Shout your address, your apartment number.”

One of the officers says: “I heard someone yell ‘help!’”

When Officer Bryan Carnes and Sgt. Aaron Meyer got to the residence, they forced entry and ran up the steps, Maynard said.

“(They) made their way to an upstairs bathroom where they encountered a male and a female. The male was stabbing the female. Officer Bryan Carnes, who was the first officer to make it to the bathroom, fired several rounds from his pistol striking the male and stopping the initial threat,” Maynard said during a press conference four hours after the incident.

Henry was transported to Mercy Fairfield Hospital where she died, according to police. Williamson died at the scene.

The Bureau of Criminal Investigation has taken over the investigation, Maynard said. As is standard procedure, the two officers are on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of that investigation.

The chief said there is body camera footage of the incident and once BCI and the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office “deems appropriate, we will release it.”

Carnes is a three-year veteran of the force. He previously worked for Englewood Police Department, north of Dayton, according to the chief. He received a good review in October, with the preparer stating, “Officer Carnes is a very well rounded officer who has taken on additional responsibilities within the organization. He is an asset to the department.”

Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser said the incident will be presented to a grand jury of review when the investigation is completed. It is Gmoser’s policy that all officer involved shootings are presented to a grand jury.

(Staff writer Michael D. Clark contributed to this story)

Trending - Most Read Stories

Gunman demands drugs from Rite Aid in Harrison Twp.

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 7:17 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 11:40 PM

Robbery

An armed suspect demanded drugs and threatened employees Friday night during a robbery at a Rite Aid pharmacy.

The robbery was reported around 7 p.m. at the business, 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.

>> ‘He showed us a gun:’ Robbery victims testify in teen’s carjacking case

“Somebody walked in with a note and asked for prescription drugs and said that he was going to kills us in that note if we didn’t give him what we have,” according to a 911 caller who identified himself as a pharmacy manager.

The suspect was described as a young man who stands 5 feet 7 or five feet 8 inches who was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black pants.

Montgomery County Sheriff's deputies, including a K-9, responded to a robbery June 22, 2018, at the Rite Aid pharmacy at 4328 N. Main St. in Harrison Twp.(JIM NOELKER / STAFF)

Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies, including a K-9 unit, were dispatched to the robbery. However, deputies on scene did not comment on the investigation.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories