log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, November 09, 2017 @ 11:31 AM
LEBANON — A South Lebanon man facing the death penalty wants access to his wife, who is also charged in the case and held like him in the Warren County Jail.
This morning, a lawyer representing Christopher Kirby pressed Judge Donald Oda II for direction on how to get Kirby access to his wife while they await trial, scheduled for Oct. 22, 2018.
During a hearing in Warren County Common Pleas Court, Oda told Kirby and his lawyer John Kaspar that he would not be issuing a no-contact order, as sought by prosecutors, and suggested he communicate this to officials at the jail in Lebanon.
Kirby, 38, is held on charges of aggravated murder, aggravated robbery, murder, attempted murder, felonious assault, grand theft and tampering with evidence in connection with the beating death of his sister and severe beating of her husband.
If convicted, Kirby could face the death penalty.
His adoptive sister, Debrah Power, 63, of South Lebanon, was pronounced dead from head injuries Sept. 15 at her home in South Lebanon. Her husband, Ronnie Power, was badly beaten in the attack and remained in serious condition, according to authorities.
Kirby’s wife, Jacqueline, 30, is charged with tampering with evidence, receiving stolen property and misuse of credit cards in the case. She is next scheduled to appear before Oda on Dec. 4.
The four people involved in the case shared a house in South Lebanon.
“Jacqueline stated during her interview, they used Mr. Power’s cell phone to contact drug dealers. She said they were trying to sell a television they’d taken from the residence,” an investigator alleged in a search-warrant affidavit.
The tampering with evidence charges stem from the Kirbys’ alleged disposal of the cell phone and Debra Power’s purse on Interstate 75, where they were arrested.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:14 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 6:09 PM
CENTERVILLE — A 16-year-old Washington Twp. boy has been accused of committing a sex crime as a result of an ongoing investigation by Centerville police after an incident alleged to have occurred at Centerville High School.
John Davis, community relations officer with the Centerville Police Department, confirmed the investigation began May 5 after an incident on the grounds of the high school.
“The suspect and victim are both juveniles, therefore, the details that I can provide are very limited,” Davis said.
The suspect is a Centerville student. The matter is now juvenile court.
School officials said that allegations involving sex crimes are taken seriously and police were notified immediately.
“We cannot go into much detail since the student involved is a juvenile,” said Sarah Swan, community relations specialist for the school district. “There were school consequences for the student, and the police were notified.”
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 6:00 AM
OXFORD — Police were called June 14 on a report of a burglary at the Kappa Alpha Order house, in the 300 block of East Church Street.
The report was made by a person in charge of the house during the summer school break, who had been notified by the property management firm that oversees the house.
Police were shown video of someone entering the house using the proper combination at 2:30 a.m. on June 2.
Inside surveillance video showed a man walking around and attempting to turn on the television, according to a police report. When it did not come on, he is seen in the video stabbing the TV with the remote control, causing damage to it, according to the report.
Then, at 2:20 a.m. on June 3, another video shows two men enter the house using the front door combination code and then stuffing the kitchen sink drains with paper towels and turning on the water causing water damage to the floor and some to the downstairs area, according to the report.
One of the two is believed to be the same person from the TV incident the previous night, police said.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 9:00 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 4:31 AM
One man was shot and injured in an officer-involved shooting in Dayton Thursday night.
A Kettering police officer tried to pull over a vehicle at Smithville Road and Ewalt Avenue Thursday night. Within one minute, at 8:45 p.m., the officer reported shots fired and an officer needs assistance call was issued to surrounding agencies, according to a release issued late Thursday by the Kettering Police Department.
“We can confirm a Kettering officer was involved in an officer-involved shooting as a result of this traffic stop. No further details are being released at this time,” Kettering police Lt. Michael Gabrielson stated in the release.
The traffic stop was initiated in Kettering, but the shooting happened in the city of Dayton.
“A passenger fled. There was an altercation about a block down the street and a Kettering officer fired at the suspect, wounding him,” Dayton Assistant Police Chief and Deputy Director Mark Ecton said.
The driver is in custody, he said.
It’s not clear how many shots were fired, nor whether the suspect fired at the officer but a weapon was recovered, Ecton said.
The Dayton Police Department is investigating the shooting because it happened in the city, and the Kettering Police Department also is conducting its own investigation.
The man was transported to a local hospital. We’re working to learn more on his condition. The officer was not injured.
It’s not confirmed whether the incident was connected to a hit-and-run crash nearby.
Nick Kauffman of Kettering said he was on his way to a motorcycle ride when his path was blocked by all the police activity.
“It’s pretty wild. You don’t expect to see this stuff outside your back door,” he said.
There were officers from at least three police forces.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 7:08 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:50 AM
CONCORD TWP., Miami County — UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m. (June 22): A retired Troy firefighter and a co-defendant remain in jail on a rape charge, while the former firefighter's son also remains in jail on a weapons charge.
Jeffrey Paul Covault, 48, had his bond set at $200,000 cash on a single count of rape. His plea of not guilty was taken this morning.
Thomas Perkins Jr., 54, identified as a co-defendant in the rape case, had his bond set at $200,000 as well. According to authorities, Perkins worked for Jeffrey Paul Covault's lawn care business.
Aaron Jacob Covault, 24, had his bond set at $22,000 cash during his court appearance via video in Miami County Municipal Court.
He is detained in the Miami County Jail on charges of weapon possession as a felon (a felony) and weapons possession while intoxicated (a misdemeanor).
The elder Covault and Perkins are accused of engaging in sexual conduct with an intoxicated 21-year-old woman on March 2, in the parking lot of The Vault, on North County Road 25A, county Prosecutor Tony Kendell said. According to the indictment, the victim was impaired because of a mental or physical condition and the alleged perpetrators had cause of know of that impairment.
Common Pleas Judge Christopher Gee issued a “no contact order” for the elder Covault and Perkins, meaning they are to have no contact with the alleged victim or with each other.
The elder Covault worked as a Troy firefighter/paramedic from May 1996 until he retired April 1, according to city personnel records.
A criminal records check shows he has been convicted for operating a vehicle under the influence in 2011 and for disorderly conduct in 2012.
The father and son were arrested hours apart Thursday from the same home, a residence in the 700 block of County Road 25A, north of Troy.
Aaron Jacob Covault, was arrested at the same address hours after his father was taken into custody. Police said the younger Covault was upset over the arrest of his father and discharged a gun.
There were no report of injuries.