log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, February 15, 2013 @ 10:06 AM
Updated: Friday, February 15, 2013 @ 10:06 AM
KETTERING — When she woke up early Nov. 18, 1987, Mary Beth Marino sensed her daughter was in danger.
“I woke up at five in the morning and knew something was wrong, 500 miles away,” Marino said.
By days end, she learned that her daughter, Karen Sue Goff, had been murdered in her Kettering home. But 25 years later, Marino, who lives in Atlanta, still doesn’t know who did it. The case is unsolved, though Kettering police have recently turned over evidence to the Miami Valley Regional Crime Laboratory for testing.
Goff, 20, was found dead in her bedroom at 2341 Carew Ave., about 4 p.m. Her father Donald, who owned the house, was letting her stay there until he could get a bedroom set up in her home, Marino said.
Marino said she was so concerned about her daughter that morning that she called her several times, but got no answer. She also could not reach Karen’s answering machine. Marino then called her ex-husband’s home and spoke to Karen’s stepmother about checking on her. Donald stopped by his rental property on the way home from work, Marino said.
“He called and said ‘Karen’s gone – Karen’s dead,” Marino said.
The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office found that she had been strangled sometime in the early morning hours. The killer apparently climbed in through a window while she was in the shower, then attacked her. Goff, who lived alone, was sexually assaulted during the attack.
There were signs of a furious struggle in the house, particularly in the bedroom, but police also discovered why Karen’s answering machine wasn’t working – the killer had cut the phone lines, police said.
Karen spent her early years in the Dayton area, but moved to Atlanta with her mother and younger brother. Karen had learning disabilities and spent much of her time in school in special education. Though she struggled, she was proud that she was able to be mainstreamed and graduate with her class in 1985.
“The biggest day of her life was her graduation,” Marino said. “It meant the world to her.”
She described Karen as outgoing but naïve, and someone who tried to hide her learning disabilities because she wanted to be liked.
“She wouldn’t know to be careful of a guy,” Marino said. “Probably emotionally, she was 18, 17. I always said she was younger than her age.”
Kettering Det. Vincent Mason said she spent her last day with a boyfriend and some other friends who stopped by the Carew Avenue house. She also had a late doctor’s appointment.
She spoke to a friend on the telephone about 1 a.m., and “after that, there’s no other contact with anybody outside the house that I know of,” Mason said.
She may have been preparing to go out. Her curling iron was on when the first paramedic arrived at the scene.
Mason said there is a strong possibility that Goff knew her killer. Karen was a regular at the Bourbon Street Nightclub on Woodman Drive, where she danced three to four nights a week with her friends.
The department still has people of interest, but will look at any new information about any possible suspect. The department also has DNA samples from some of the possible suspects, but not all them, Mason said.
One man, contacted by police after News Center 7 did a story on the case last fall, agreed to give a DNA sample. The man, who lives in Washington, D.C., was cleared, Mason said.
Donald Goff died in 1998 at age 54 without knowing who killed his daughter. Mason said he wants to provide that answer for Karen’s mother.
“I just want to try and give mom something because we couldn’t give dad the answer he was looking for,” Mason said. “It’s very sad, and I don’t want mom to have the same problem.”
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 9:23 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 4:24 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @4:24 p.m.
The U.S. Navy Blue Angels are now on the ground, marking an end to the flying acts.
PHOTOS: Sunday at the Dayton Air Show
UPDATE @3:40 p.m.
The U.S. Navy Blue Angels are now performing. WATCH LIVE HERE.
UPDATE @3:27 p.m.
The U.S. Navy Blue Angels are preparing to take flight. They are the last performance scheduled for today’s Dayton Air Show.
UPDATE @2:40 p.m.
Tora Tora Tora, the dramatic recreation of the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, is now taking place.
UPDATE @2:08 p.m.
The F-22 Demonstration is now taking place at the Dayton Vectren Air Show.
Next up: U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight, CareFlight dedication, Tora Tora Tora, Jet Waco and, finally, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.
UPDATE @1:15 p.m.
B-17 Movie Memphis Belle: The movie Memphis Belle commemorates the real B-17 Memphis Belle Flying Fortress during World War II heavy bomber.
UPDATE @1:12 p.m.
Vicky Benzing is known for her record as “Fastest Woman Racer” in the history of the Reno Air Races in Nevada.
Today at the Vectren Dayton Air Show she was able to complete all of her stunts, though she said Saturday she couldn’t perform her opening stunt because of lower clouds.
Today the air show is running a high show. On Saturday, only a few of the earlier acts couldn’t perform at a high level because of lower clouds. Benzing learned to fly at a young age and has been flying for over 30 years. The Californian also has a Ph.D. in Chemistry.
UPDATE @12:45 p.m.
The U.S. Army Golden Knights have completed their act. Vicky Benzing will take to the air next.
The Army Golden Knights have the @DaytonAirShow audience watching closely as they maneuver jumps and show parachute skills. The group was formed in 1959. Based in Ft. Bragg, North Carolina, the 16-member team’s jump aircraft is a Fokker C-31A Troopship. @daytondailynews @whiotv pic.twitter.com/6LedQRKzTA— Holly Shively (@hrshively) June 24, 2018
UPDATE @12:19 p.m.
The flag taken up by the Redline Circle of Cincinnati has dropped, and the Vectren Dayton Air Show is starting up.
Lead pilot of Redline Ken Rieder knew he was going to be a pilot almost his entire life.
He went to his first air show in Waynesville when he was 5 years old.
PHOTOS: Images from Saturday Air Show
“My dad was driving up to Columbus for something. We saw it as we were driving by and I was excited, so he pulled in.”
At a young age, Rieder started building model planes, joined the Civil Air Patrol at 12 years old and eventually got his pilot’s license at age 21.
“From there on it was everything I could do to get flying,” Rieder said.
The Dayton Air Show is particular important to Rieder as the first large air show he had ever attended. He said he never imagined he’d be flying in the Dayton Air Show when he was younger.
Now he’s not only flying in the show, but he built the planes he and partner Ron Thocker are flying today. The team will be back later in the show.
UPDATE @11:50 a.m.
Flying acts will begin soon.
Watch live coverage of the acts here.
Look at that sky as Sean Tucker in his Oracle Challenger III gets the crowd excited for the feature @DaytonAirShow beginning in 20 minutes. @daytondailynews @WHIORadio @whiotv pic.twitter.com/apiqGFSa08— Holly Shively (@hrshively) June 24, 2018
Gates are open for the last day of the 2018 Vectren Dayton Air Show.
The first acts take to the skies at noon and fly through 4:15 p.m. Gates close at 6 p.m.
Today’s lineup of feature flying acts include: the Tuskegee Airmen, P-51 Mustang, U.S. Army Golden Knights, Vicky Benzing, B-17 Movie Memphis Belle, Redline, Sean Tucker, U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor, U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight, CareFlight dedication, Tora Tora Tora, Jet Waco and the U.S. Navy Blue Angels.
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 4:37 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 3:24 PM
SAN DIEGO — Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California.
Here is the latest information:
Update 12:24 p.m. PDT June 24: Homicide Capt. Mike Hastings said at a news conference that investigators were waiting for a search warrant so they could enter the condominium where the shooting occurred, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
The names of the officers injured have not been released. Investigators also have not released the name of the suspect who was killed, the Union-Tribune reported. Police also did not confirm whether the man was a resident of the unit.
Update 1:43 a.m. PDT June 24: KNSD’s Omari Fleming reports that investigators are unsure whether the suspect died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or was killed by officers.
HAPPENING NOW: Disturbance w/violence call results in 2 policemen shot, 1 seriously injured according to #SDPD Chief. Suspect is dead. Chief says man police smelled smoke called fire department. When they went into apartment suspect opened fire. #NBC7 1/2 pic.twitter.com/5mk1yf3EEo— Omari Fleming (@OmariNBCSD) June 24, 2018
Rolando Shooting Contd. Firefighters scattered outside Rolando Apartment. Police went in shooting. Chief says it’s not known at this time if suspect was killed by police gunfire or took own life. Chief says they’ve made calls to the apartment before. #NBC7 2/2 pic.twitter.com/9SjHTB0NuY— Omari Fleming (@OmariNBCSD) June 24, 2018
KSWB’s Andrew Luria tweeted that “hundreds of rounds may have been fired” in the shootout.
Sounds like this was a major shootout. As many as hundreds of rounds may have been fired off between the walls/doors. It’s unclear if suspect was shot in head during that by SDPD officers, or if it was self-inflicted.— Andrew Luria (@AndrewLuria) June 24, 2018
Update 1:07 a.m. PDT June 24: The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the suspect is dead. According to the newspaper, “a police dog went in and bit the suspect on the leg” after a robot searched the apartment.
“After getting no response from the man, police determined he was dead shortly before 1 a.m.,” the Union-Tribune reported.
Update 1 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KSWB’s Andrew Luria, one of the wounded San Diego police officers “is currently in surgery with a life-threatening injury” after being shot in the chest. The second officer suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder but is “expected to be OK,” Luria tweeted.
#BREAKING Update: just learned one of the officers shot tonight was hit in the shoulder and expected to be okay, but the other was hit in the chest and is currently in surgery with a life-threatening injury.— Andrew Luria (@AndrewLuria) June 24, 2018
Update 12:26 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KFMB reporter Steve Price, the shooting suspect “appears to be down” and has “head trauma.”
KSWB’s Andrew Luria reported that the suspect had been “wearing body armor.” Officers sent a robot into the apartment where he had been hiding, police said.
The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the suspect was “possibly deceased.”
The wounded San Diego police officers’ condition was not yet known, Price tweeted.
#BreakingNews: 2 SDPD officers injured in shooting in Rolando Village area. Suspect fired through a wall. No condition update yet on officers. Suspect appears to be down in an apartment with head trauma.— Steve Price (@SteveNews8) June 24, 2018
A robot had been sent in to the shooter’s apartment. Appears he was wearing body armor, and has suffered trauma to the head.— Andrew Luria (@AndrewLuria) June 24, 2018
Update 12:01 a.m. PDT June 24: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, police said a gunman shot at officers through a wall at an apartment complex off Rolando Court. A SWAT team was at the scene, where the suspected shooter was still inside the building, police said.
The newspaper reported that officers had taken another man into custody about 11:20 p.m. PDT but “ascertained within moments that he was not the shooter.”
Emergency personnel rescued a firefighter from the building after the two wounded police officers “and at least one firefighter were pulled out of the building on a ladder,” the Union-Tribune reported.
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 2:29 PM
— The former head of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics said that White House press secretary Sarah Sanders’ tweet Saturday about being kicked out of a Virginia restaurant violated federal ethics laws, The Slate reported.
Walter Shaub, the federal government’s top ethics watchdog for five years until mid-2017, said the tweet was a violation of the law because Sanders used her government account -- instead of her personal Twitter account -- to address the issue.
“Sarah, I know you don’t care even a tiny little bit about the ethics rules, but using your official account for this is a clear violation of 5 CFR 2635.702(a),” Shaub tweeted. “It’s the same as if an ATF agent pulled out his badge when a restaurant tried to throw him/her out.”
Sarah, I know you don’t care even a tiny little bit about the ethics rules, but using your official account for this is a clear violation of 5 CFR 2635.702(a). It’s the same as if an ATF agent pulled out his badge when a restaurant tried to throw him/her out. https://t.co/Fj6OfBAdew— Walter Shaub (@waltshaub) June 23, 2018
Sanders was asked to leave the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia, on Friday night. She confirmed the incident with her Saturday tweet.
Sanders’ tweet from her official @PressSec account noted that the restaurant owner’s actions “say far more about her than about me.”
Sanders used her official govt account to condemn a private business for personal reasons. Seeks to coerce business by using her office to get public to pressure it. Violates endorsements ban too, which has an obvious corollary for discouraging patronage. Misuse reg covers both.— Walter Shaub (@waltshaub) June 23, 2018
Shaub later tweeted that Sanders used her official government account “to condemn a private business for personal reasons.”
Former White House lawyer Ian Bassin said on Twitter that Sanders’ tweet would have been acceptable under her personal account, but not from her White House one.
“I think there’d have to be some argument that it was in service of the American people and not me personally. But read Sanders’ tweet. It doesn’t claim to be about public; the whole thing is ‘I’ and ‘me.’” Reads like it’s personal, which is fine from a personal account, not WH one,”” Bassin tweeted.
When I was a WH lawyer we trained all staff they couldn’t use their WH titles or resources (like Twitter acct) for personal uses like making restaurant reservations or promoting businesses. So yes, this tweet violates federal ethics rules. I’m sure Don McGahn will remind her. https://t.co/2t2JCVb5B7— Ian Bassin (@ianbassin) June 24, 2018
Red Hen owner Stephanie Wilkinson said she personally asked Sanders to leave the restaurant.
“I’m not a huge fan of confrontation,” Red Hen owner Stephanie Wilkinson told The Washington Post. “I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals.”
When asked to leave, Sanders’ response was immediate, Wilkinson told the Post. “‘That’s fine. I’ll go.’ ”
The Red Hen’s Facebook and Yelp pages were bombarded with reviews from people from both sides.
While some praised the restaurant, many others said the owner was being “intolerant.”
This comes after Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen bolted from a Washington, D.C. Mexican restaurant after protesters confronted her at her table -- with the blessing of the manager.
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 2:43 PM
By Jack Torry
WASHINGTON – Republican congressman Jim Jordan of Urbana blamed House GOP leaders for the collapse of an immigration overhaul last week backed by conservatives but opposed by Republican moderates such as Rep. Mike Turner of Dayton.
In an interview Sunday on CBS’s “Face The Nation,” Jordan complained “if our leadership” had energetically pressed Republican lawmakers to support the conservative bill “it would have passed.”
“It was that close to passing,” Jordan insisted.
The House defeated the conservative version Thursday, 231-to-193, as Turner and 40 other House Republicans joined House Democrats in opposing the measure. House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., then postponed a vote on a compromise measure designed to win the votes of moderate Republicans such as Turner.
“The compromise bill was pulled because it was going to get a lot less votes,” said Jordan, who along with GOP conservatives opposed the compromise measure.
Turner disputed Jordan’s claim saying last Tuesday Trump “joined us on Capitol Hill and Speaker Ryan presented a bill to our conference that would secure our border, ensure families stay together, and overhaul our immigration system by ending chain and lottery immigration.”
“That was not the bill that failed in the House on Thursday,” Turner said. “The bill that failed had no chance of becoming law. I support the bill presented by Speaker Ryan that is supported by President Trump.”
The conservative bill almost certainly would have reduced legal immigration and called on employers to use an internet system known as E-Verify to make certain they were hiring legal employees.
The conservative bill did not offer a chance for citizenship for Dreamers – people brought to this country as children by illegal immigrants. Instead, they would have been provided temporary status by applying every three years for renewable legal status.
By contrast, the compromise measure backed by Turner would allow as many as 1.8 million Dreamers for a chance to become citizens and authorized $25 billion to enhance security along the border between the United States and Mexico, including a border wall demanded by President Donald Trump.
Jordan insisted “we want to welcome folks who come here for legitimate reasons who want to … who follow the law.”