severe weather


Residents won’t have to vacate downtown Dayton apartments

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 4:26 PM


            The boiler in the Newcom apartment building at 255 N. Main St. in downtown was shut down because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, city officials said. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF
The boiler in the Newcom apartment building at 255 N. Main St. in downtown was shut down because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, city officials said. CORNELIUS FROLIK / STAFF

A Montgomery County Common Pleas judge has granted a temporary restraining order that blocks the city of Dayton from forcing some tenants to move out of a downtown apartment building that has a malfunctioning heating system.

RELATED: Dayton issues vacate order for downtown apartment building

Last week, city of Dayton housing inspection officials issued an emergency vacate order to residents at the Newcom Building, located at 255 N. Main St., citing “unsafe” living conditions.

The residents were ordered to move out by 4 p.m. today if the building’s owners had not repaired its heating system, which was shut off because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

NEW DETAILS: Witness saw husband, wife before her death, sheriff says

But about an hour before today’s deadline, Judge Richard Skelton granted the building’s owner, Howard Heck, a temporary restraining order on the condition he purchase small heating units for each apartment and get the boiler repaired or replaced in about a month.

Skeleton said he or court officials would stop by the Newcom building routinely to check on the temperatures inside the apartment building to make sure it is not too cold and check on the progress to repair the heating system.

“I am going to be watching this very closely,” he said.

This afternoon, Judge Skeleton presided over a hearing about the Newcom Building Company’s request for a restraining order and permanent injunction against the city of Dayton division of housing inspection.

MORE: Will a shutdown happen? Wright Patt in holding pattern

The seven-story apartment building’s boiler was shut down this month after fire crews determined it was releasing high levels of carbon monoxide, which can cause deadly poisoning.

But that left residents without a safe way to heat their homes, and city inspectors told the building owner to fix the boiler or they would board up the structure by this afternoon.

Seven tenants have left the apartment building after the emergency order was issued, leaving about 18 other occupied units, officials said.

Skelton said the owner has 30 days to fix the boiler, but could maybe get a “reasonable” extension if things are going OK and the temperature inside is satisfactory.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Spouse in Fairborn police standoff ID’d; Felony charges to be pursued

Published: Sunday, May 20, 2018 @ 4:52 PM
Updated: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 10:16 PM

Fairborn Stand off

UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m. (May 22): A man who became the focus of a standoff with police Sunday, after his wife told police he used a sword to assault her in their home, remains in jail tonight. 

Anthony Dyamond Sr., 56, is in the Montgomery County Jail on a $50,000 bond on felony charges of felonious assault, tampering with evidence and inducing panic. 

>> Miami Valley’s Most Wanted

Fairborn police were dispatched to the home on Gierson Place just before 2 p.m. Sunday on a call about a domestic violence situation. 

Anthony Dyamond Sr. (Courtesy/Fairborn Police)

A woman called 9-1-1 to report that her husband used a sword to assault her. She left the residence and he remained inside. 

She was treated at hospital. He exited the residence, police said, after a brief standoff.

INITIAL REPORT (May 20)

Police have taken a man into custody after assaulting a female Sunday afternoon in Fairborn.

SWAT crews were called to the scene after the man barricaded himself in the home located in the 2200 block of Gierson Place, police said.

The man was taken without incident.

No other details are immediately available, according to a press release.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

New device to help save lives in school shootings now available

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 10:26 PM

Local man invents device that could assist in school shootings

A new device was invented that could help save students' lives in a school shooting, according to News Center 7's Lauren Clark. 

Within the last 6 months, Chris Monturo - employee of the Miami Valley Crime Lab and owner of Lockdown EDU - has come up with a device that's meant to block windows so a shooter cannot look into a classroom or break the glass to get inside. "It's a simple device that simply hangs on the door and latches into place," said Monturo. "We can't rely on other people. We need to figure out what we can do." 

MORE LOCAL NEWS

Monturo's motivation is personal - his wife is a Kettering school teacher, and they have two sons in school at Centerville. "Situation arises... it gets mounted... it's on. Now the window is secured. Now no one can enter from the other side... break through that window... then unlock the door and get in," said Monturo. He knows, by now, that a school shooting can happen anywhere. 

This device could be a quick and effective addition to classrooms here in the Miami Valley and beyond, said Clark of News Center 7.  "Any other step, be it gun control or any other kind of large process like that, is not going to happen overnight. So, there are things that can happen overnight. So, that's what I'm trying to work for is - let's get something in place now instead of all that discussion,” said Monturo.

For more information about Lockdown EDU, or to purchase a device, visit https://lockdownedu.com.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Weather service confirms ‘weak’ EF-0 tornado in Brown County on Monday night

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 9:57 PM



whio.com
(whio.com)

An EF-0 tornado was confirmed north of Mt. Orab in Brown County on Monday night, National Weather Service forecasters in Wilmington confirmed Tuesday. 

The brief, weak tornado touched down on the west side of U.S. 68, also causing sporadic damage on the east side, near Donley Road where a large tree was snapped and left lying across Donley Road making it impassable, according to NWS investigators, who surveyed damage Tuesday with assistance from Brown County Emergency Management officials.

A nearby residence also had substantial tree and limb damage. 

The tornado caused a grove of trees several hundred yards from the road to suffer more substantial tree damage with numerous trees either uprooted or snapped. 

MORE NATIONAL NEWS

The tornado then continued northeast to Hillcrest Road, where another grove of trees on the west side of the road showed sporadic snapped and uprooted trees, and a residence on the east side of the road had minor roof damage, a blown-off chimney, and several uprooted and snapped trees. 

The tornado then began lifting farther to the northeast in the vicinity of Crawford-Day Road, where several trees and large limbs were snapped. 

The damage was consistent with wind speeds between 75 and 80 mph. 

Tree damage demonstrated a cross-path component, particularly along the first mile of the path, weather service investigators said.

The damage had well-defined lateral bounds, which corroborated data from the NWS Doppler radar in Wilmington and the FAA Terminal Doppler Weather Radar near Walton, Ky. There were no injuries. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

One of the most dangerous intersections in the county could become a roundabout

Published: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 @ 8:37 PM

Ranked as one of the most dangerous intersections in the country, Washington Twp. officials are weighing options to make the Alex Bell Road,

The Alex Bell and Mad River intersection in Washington Township is one of the most dangerous in the county, according to New Center 7's Malik Perkins. 

Officials are looking at two possible options to fix the problem because traffic builds up there and accidents happen often; a traffic light - that would cost roughly $1.8 million, or a roundabout - that could cost $1.5 million. Either would be partially paid for with grants. "If you had to do something, a roundabout seems like it would take an awful lot of land. A traffic light would take less even though it would be more money," said Greg Wells of Washington Twp. 

MORE LOCAL NEWS

There were 40 crashes between 2014 and 2016, according to a traffic study done by the county. Officials say almost half of those crashes result in an injury. "I pull up to the stop sign. I look both ways. I drive like I am supposed to. I have never had a problem, but I have seen some accidents," said Wells. 

A meeting to discuss the solution for this intersection is being held on Wednesday, June 20.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories