log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 7:36 PM
DAYTON — Approximately 100,000 pounds of chicken products sold in Sam’s Club stores nationwide are being recalled because of contamination.
The Tony Downs Food Company, Inc., in Minnesota is recalling at least 96,384 pounds of chicken products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically hard plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Monday afternoon.
The thermally processed, commercially sterile canned chunk chicken breast items were produced Nov. 28 and Nov. 29, 2017.
The following products are subject to recall:
* 12.5-ounce cans in a case containing 6 pack of "Member's Mark Premium Natural Chunk Chicken Breast in Water" with lot code 17333, case code 9816 and a use-by date of Nov. 29, 2020.
* 50-ounce cans in a case containing 6 cans of "Member's Mark Food Service Premium Natural Chunk Chicken Breast in Water" with lot code 17332, case code 9817 and a use-by date of Nov. 28, 2019.
These products bear establishment number "P-65" inside the USDA mark of inspection.
The problem was discovered March 27 after the firm received two consumer complaints regarding extraneous material contamination. There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions because of consumption of these products.
Consumers who have purchased these products and are concerned about injury or illness should contact their health providers.
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them and to return them to the place of purchase.
If you have questions about the recall, you can call 507-642-3203, ext. 1302.
The USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854 is available in English and Spanish and can be reached 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern) Monday through Friday.
Published: Sunday, April 22, 2018 @ 3:27 PM
SHELBY COUNTY — A memorial sign was dedicated today to fallen firefighter, Michael (Mike) J. Aselage, on SR 705 at East Edge of Fort Loramie in Shelby County.
Aselage was electrocuted in the line of duty on April 2, 1975.
He served four years with the United States Coast Guard, but was discharged a year prior to his death, and was also a Probationary Member of the Fort Loramie Community Fire Company.
On April 2, 1975, Aselage came upon a downed electric power line - that was blown down by the high wind from the previous night - on Ohio St. Rt. 705.
According to the Shelby County Sheriff's Deputies, Aselage drove to the nearby home of Walter Silvers and telephoned the Sheriff's office to notify them of the power line, owned by Pioneer Rural Electric Company.
He then drove back to the scene with the intention to direct traffic around the live wires, but as he got out of his vehicle and stepped onto the ground, his vehicle touched a 7200 volt electric line and he was electrocuted.
Robert Bunsold from Sidney, Ohio, followed Aselage to the scene to help direct the traffic, but when he came in contact with Aselage's vehicle at the same time, Bunsold was knocked unconscious to the ground.
Bunsold was transported to Wilson Memorial Hospital for treatment.
Shelby County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Bergam received earlier reports of the down power lines and was on his way to the scene when he witnessed the fatal explosion.
Members of the Fort Loramie were dispatched to the scene to extinguish the fire that occurred by the voltage, but the Fire Department had to wait until a representative from Pioneer Rural Electric Company arrived to make sure the power was off.
After power was securely off and the fire was extinguished, Aselage was removed via Ambulance.
Published: Sunday, April 22, 2018 @ 12:44 PM
NORTH HAMPTON — According to Jeff Clevenger - Operator of record of the North Hampton Water Treatment Plant - there is a boil advisory for the Village of North Hampton in Clark County.
The tower pressure dropped under 20 psi, and residents need to boil water for three minutes.
MORE LOCAL NEWS
Residents should bring water to a roiling boil for at least three minutes before using for drinking, cooking or brushing teeth.
Bacteria samples will be collected on Monday, and testing takes 24 hours.
The boil advisory will be in effect until at least Tuesday.
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 7:39 PM
DAYTON — A 2-year-old boy was taken to Dayton Children's Hospital after he fell in to the Great Miami River at Island MetroPark Saturday afternoon.
The child fell in to the water near the Helena Street bridge park area.
Montgomery County Regional Dispatch confirmed he was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Tabatha Davis, who witnessed the incident and called 911, said there is nothing there to keep children from running into the water.
In the 911 call, she states it initially seemed as if the child wasn't breathing, but after CPR was performed by his parents, he threw up the water.
"He ran over there so fast, in the blink of an eye," said Davis. "There is no blockage to the water and I think they really need to do something about that."
Davis was there with her granddaughter, and gave the child a piece of candy when he approached her.
Davis said he and his mother went to a picnic table near the water and ate the candy, then she looked up and he was gone.
"I heard her scream, 'Where's my baby?' and I looked up and he was in the water," said Davis.
Briana Greenwood, another witness, wrote a letter to park officials making them aware of her safety concerns.
"My two concerns here are the safety of the parks despite the posted warnings, and the availability of park rangers in case of an emergency. Thankfully, the park was full of families and parents so we were able to dial 911 as instructed on the Metro Parks website, but I would like for there to be posts with buttons that people can push throughout the trails and near playground areas," Greenwood states in the letter.
"I was scared, horrified and worried for this family," wrote Greenwood.
Greenwood said she will petition for a "strong sensible fence" to be put in to block the water ways.
Greenwood was at the park with her son when she assisted the child's parents in looking for him.
Published: Sunday, April 15, 2018 @ 10:21 AM
— A 23-year-old Dayton Fire Department recruit was accused of punching someone at Timothy’s Bar & Grill on Brown Street near UD, according to a police report.
A University of Dayton student stopped police that were patrolling the area around Timothy’s and told officers his friend was assaulted inside the business, the report states.
Police spoke with the suspect who said he was talking to a girl at the bar when someone tried to hit him, the report states.
He said he wasn’t sure what was going on and started swinging back and was not sure if he hit anyone. He told police he was a recruit for the fire department.
Timothy’s staff told police they saw the offender hit the victim in the back of the head and then escorted him from the bar. The victim had trouble articulating what happened, and all parties were intoxicated, the police report states.
The suspect was summons arrested for misdemeanor assault and the victim was ordered to the prosecutor’s office, the report states.
Earlier this year, a Dayton firefighter, Jacob Freels, was arrested on suspicion of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and driving while intoxicated, which was his third arrest for OVI in the last four years, records showed.