log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Sunday, March 20, 2016 @ 11:44 AM
Updated: Sunday, March 20, 2016 @ 3:41 PM
Blaine, Penn. — A Pennsylvania couple was devastated when seven of their eight children were killed in a fire five years ago.
Janelle and Ted Clouse lost Christina, 11, Isabelle, 9, Brady, 7, Hannah, 6, Heidi 4, Miranda, 18 months and Samantha, 9 months, on March 8, 2011. Their daughter Leah survived; she was 3.
Since then, the Clouses have welcomed four more children, and Janelle Clouse is pregnant with another.
"Time heals our pain, but we always remember, and we would never want to forget our babies," Janelle told People magazine. "All we can do is just keep looking forward. All we have is the future."
The family keeps a collage of photos of the seven children who died propped up on a fireplace mantel. Janelle and Ted said seeing the faces of their lost children reminds them that "every single moment" is precious and that nothing should be taken for granted.
"You have to move ahead, if you live in the past you're not really living," Ted told People. "But they will be with us, always."
The fire that killed the Clouses' children blazed in the family's farmhouse while Ted was out working and Janelle was tending to cows in a barn 100ft away from the family's home. While Janelle was milking the cows, Leah ran into the barn and told her mother that her baby sister, Miranda, was "playing with smoke."
"I went to the house and opened the door and the smoke knocked me down," Janelle said. "I knew if the fire was that strong, there was no one alive in my house."
The seven children died from a mix of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation.
Fire officials think 18-month-old Miranda was probably holding a blanket too close to the space heater in the kitchen. They think she dragged the burning blanket into the living room, where it ignited couch cushions and spread.
Four months after the fire, Janelle gave birth to Gabriel.
"I was happy, but I had this terrible sense of guilt because it seemed like he replaced my dead children," Janelle said. "It was a bittersweet moment. Time healed that pain, though. I realized that he was an innocent baby that needed love."
She later gave birth to Yvonne, 3, Gordon, 2, and Jedidiah, 11 months. She's expected to give birth to another son in April.
But the Clouses will never forget the children they lost five years ago. Their new additions are just that -- additions, not replacements.
"We have 13 children," Ted said. "When people ask how many kids we have, we say 13."
"We talk about them all the time," Janelle said. "When the time is right, when the kids are a little older, we will tell them about the brave siblings they never go to meet."
Published: Wednesday, April 05, 2017 @ 6:32 AM
WRENTHAM, Mass. — A Massachusetts mother thought her worst nightmare had come true when she was told that her daughter had been kidnapped while on vacation.
The caller told Patricia Hebner that she needed to pay a ransom or else her daughter would be killed.
It was all a scam, but a very elaborate one that had Hebner very worried about her daughter in Mexico.
“A man came on and said, 'I have your daughter; she's in the back of the van. I'm going to kill her unless you get me some money,'” Hebner said. “There was the screaming crying. It was like, 'Mom, help me, Mom, help me, Mom.’ I said, ‘Victoria, is that you?’”
Hebner kept the scammers on the phone while she went to a neighbor’s home and had them call for police.
“She's claiming that she got a phone number. She wants traced, that somebody may have taken her daughter,” a dispatcher said on a 911 recording of that phone call.
Wrentham police are warning that scammers are now tracking people on social media. An Instagram post from Victoria about going away may have tipped them off.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 8:05 AM
WINCHESTER, Mass. — A Lowell, Massachusetts, man had a special delivery to deal with on the highway: his own baby.
Samuel Beyene's wife Rahel Estifanos called him at work Wednesday morning, saying she was having contractions.
"We start driving, and all of a sudden, she says, 'Oh my God, something is pushing. Something is coming out,'" Beyene said. "I say, 'OK, we’re almost there. We have 10 minutes to go.' She says, 'No, no, no, Sammy, you don’t know there's something coming out.' And I look down and I see the head."
Before they could make it to the hospital, Beyene pulled over on the side of Route 93.
Wilmington police dispatchers told Beyene on the phone that they were on their way, but their new baby, Lidya, was impatient.
"Slowly but surely, I pull the baby up," Beyene said. "All of a sudden, the baby is in my hand."
The mother and baby are happy and healthy, resting at Winchester Hospital.
Now that the stress is over, Beyene can joke about the situation.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 8:25 AM
COLLINSVILLE, Okla. — A video and message posted by a Green County, Oklahoma, mom is spreading quickly on social media.
Christy Rowden posted the video Monday afternoon after a heartwarming moment at a park.
Rowden said she was at the park with her two children that afternoon when a bus of students from Oologah Upper Elementary pulled up and started playing on the basketball court.
Rowden’s 7-year-old son was adopted from Uganda. Rowden said he can be shy and, as a result, stood back as the older boys played basketball.
https://www.facebook.com/christyleerowden/posts/10216587561621532Posted by Christy Lee Rowden on Monday, May 21, 2018
Soon after, the fifth-grade boys reportedly came up to her son, Asher, introduced themselves and invited him to play.
The boys quickly welcomed him into their game, cheering him on and giving high-fives.
Rowden said the moment brought a tear to her eye, especially since she is the mom of a black boy in a mostly white community.
Rowden shared the post to remind people that there is still good in the world and to thank the children who were so kind to her son.
There is good in this world! I need reminders of it sometimes. I took Asher & Mercy to the park this morning and for...Posted by Christy Lee Rowden on Monday, May 21, 2018
Published: Monday, May 23, 2016 @ 7:47 PM
Updated: Monday, May 23, 2016 @ 7:47 PM
— As summer vacation draws near, parents and children are heading to the pool.
Parents may know to guard against drownings in the pool, but there is also a risk hours after a child has been out of the water.
"A child could die 24 hours later after they have been in the water,” Barbara Byers of Canada’s Lifesaving Society told Global News. "The ones you have to keep an eye on are kids who go under, inhaling and coughing up water in the process. This can happen in a bathtub as well if the child goes face down in the water."
A Global News report has alerted parents for what to look for.
When a child inhales too much water, it can irritate their lungs and cause a buildup of fluid. The lungs may run out of air if too much liquid builds up.
"Drowning is silent," Byers said. "When fluid gets in the respiratory area, they can’t scream, they can’t shout."
Although Byers told Global News death from what was once called "dry drowning," but is now simply called drowning, is rare, parents can look for the following symptoms :
Extreme and unusual tiredness
According to the Centers for Disease Control, children ages 1 - 4 have the highest drowning rates in the United States. Among children ages 1 - 14, it is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death, behind motor vehicle crashes.