log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 @ 9:29 AM
Updated: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 @ 9:29 AM
A man woke up with more than a hangover after a British bachelor party.
He looked in the mirror to find a pair of glasses permanently tattoed on his face.
According to The Sun, the man had no memory of getting the tattoo.
"Waking up the morning after, I thought someone had used a permanent marker on my face," he said. "I had no memory of getting the tattoo because I had gone out celebrating, and when it happened, I was drunk.
"Rayban" was etched along the side of his face between the lines of the tattooed frame.
It's been years since he got the ink.
“When I first came home, obviously I was subject to a lot of stares, but I kind of got used to the tattoo and decided not to get rid of it," he said.
It wasn't until a confrontation during a night out with friends that he began to rethink his decision to keep the tattoo.
“The next morning I really started to think about what my family and friends thought," the man said. “I didn’t want them to be embarrassed when they were out with me, so I decided there and then I was going to get it removed.”
So he went to 1192 Laser and Beauty Clinic in Swansea, South Wales to have the tattoo removed.
The shop's owner, Donnalee Alford, said it was one of the worst tattoos he'd ever seen.
The man completed six treatments to remove the tattoo.
After the treatments, only some temporary turquoise markings remained on the man's face.
"All I can say is that the whole process was amazing," he said. "There is no scarring, and when friends who haven't seen me for months come over, they always notice something is different. When they realize the tattoo is gone, they are shocked about how well the treatment has worked."
“Tattoos have become more and more popular in recent years, but research shows one in six people hate their tattoos and more than half regret having them done in the first place,” Alford said.
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 12:10 PM
XENIA — The number of Hepatitis A cases in Ohio and neighboring states has spiked since January, the Ohio Department of Health is reporting.
The are currently 31 cases in the state, the highest since 2015, the Greene County Public Health said in a release Tuesday. In comparison, there were four cases during the same period in 2017, two in 2016 and five in 2015, according to the release.
Hepatitis A is a vaccine-preventable, communicable disease of the liver caused by the hepatitis A virus, the agency said in the release. It is usually transmitted by person-to-person through contact with an infected person’s stool, or consumption of contaminated food or water, the release said.
“One thing you want to do is make sure your food is thoroughly cooked,” said Dan Suffoletto, public information supervisor at Public Health–Dayton & Montgomery County.
A confirmed case of hepatitis A includes both a positive laboratory test and symptom onset, with either jaundice or elevated liver function tests.
Outbreaks have been linked to contact with known hepatitis A case; homelessness; IV drug use; and men who have sex with men, the release said.
Ohio is the latest state to be affected by the Hepatitis A outbreak. Neighboring states such as Indiana, Kentucky and Michigan have all been affected.
Health officials say people can be vaccinated to protect themselves from hepatitis A, but the two doses have to be taken over a six month period.
According to Greene County Public Health, hepatitis A contact can occur by:
• eating food made by an infected person who did not wash his or her hands after using the bathroom
• drinking untreated water or eating food washed in untreated water
• placing a finger or an object in your mouth that came into contact with an infected person’s stool
• having close personal contact with an infected person, such as through sex or caring for someone who is ill
One cannot get hepatitis A from:
• being coughed on or sneezed on by an infected person
• sitting next to an infected person
• hugging an infected person
A baby cannot get hepatitis A from breast milk.
Who is at increased risk for acquiring hepatitis A virus infection?
•Persons with direct contact with persons who have hepatitis A
•Travelers to countries with high or intermediate rates of hepatitis A
•Men who have sex with men
•Users of injection and non-injection drugs
•Persons with clotting factor disorders
•Household members and other close contacts of adopted children newly arriving from countries with high or intermediate hepatitis rates.
What are the symptoms of hepatitis A:
Some people have symptoms two to six weeks after they come in contact with the virus.
People with hepatitis A typically get better without treatment after a few weeks. In some cases, symptoms can last up to six months.
These symptoms may include:
•dark yellow urine
•gray- or clay-colored stools
•loss of appetite
•pain in the abdomen
•yellowish eyes and skin, called jaundice
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 11:45 AM
Updated: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 10:15 AM
DECATUR, Ga. — A stray dog who lingered around a former Publix grocery store in metro Atlanta for a year has finally found a loving home. The story behind the adoption is heartwarming.
The animal shelter PAWS Atlanta posted Publix's story Friday on its Facebook page. Shelter staff said a woman came rushing to the office Thursday as it was closing, asking if they had Publix.
Publix was a dog that shelter staff and concerned residents had been trying to rescue for a year. In December, shelter staff were able to rescue the dog and house him at the shelter. The woman who visited the facility Thursday evening knew the dog well; she called him Buddy. She said the dog would visit her shop and she would feed him, and the two had developed a close bond. When the dog disappeared in December, she had feared the worst.
The woman was overjoyed to learn that the rescue organization had Publix, after a friend alerted her when she saw the photo of the dog on the shelter's Instagram feed.
Shelter staff said Publix was thrilled to see the woman who had been so kind to him, and that they'd never seen Publix so happy or animated.
The woman decided to adopt Publix, making for the happiest of endings for all involved. In an update posted on Instagram Monday, the happy new owner said that Publix is her “little shadow,” and goes to work with her each day.
Remember Publix? He was the beautiful boy adopted last week, after being reunited with the woman who’d been feeding him and watching over him for a year. Well, he goes to work with her each day, right down the street from the shelter, and the two of them are so happy and grateful to be back together at last. Here’s an update from his mom: “He's doing great!! He's my little shadow, follows me everywhere. He's settled right in. It helps that we've been friends for a year now.” . . . #whywerescue #happyeverafter #mydog #rescuestory #pawsatlanta #greatdog #adoptadog
Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 3:51 PM
CENTERVILLE — A company building a 360-unit housing development in Centerville has cleared about 20 acres of trees for the project, work it needed to finish this month because of rules regarding a bat.
Hallmark Campus Communities is developer of the Gateway Lofts – a multi-family development along East Alex-Bell Road near Chardonnay Drive.
It cleared approximately 20 acres of forest between East Alex Bell Road and I-675, with about 15 acres of woodlands included in that, according to Maureen Hodgson, community resources coordinator for the city of Centerville.
Hallmark officials said the tree clearing on the planned apartment complex needed to be completed by early April due to requirements by the Army Corps of Engineers to mitigate the impact on the Indiana bat and Northern long-eared bat populations that are present in the development area. The bats traditionally settle into the area after April for mating, so trees could not be cut down after then.
According to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, the Northern long-eared bat and Indiana bat are federally listed as threatened species under the Endangered Species Act.
A spokesman for the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service said the bats made the endangered species list due to white-nose syndrome, which is a fatal fungus that wakes up bats during winter, when there are no insects to consume.
Will Kirk, who is the project manager for the development, said the plan for Gateway includes 14 walk-up apartment buildings that will include 256 one-bedroom units and 104 two-bedroom units.
Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 2:32 PM
— Oregon District diners simply were not ready.
A dozen or so rambunctious Dayton kids roamed up and down the district
and in and out of its restaurants, bars and shops Thursday evening.
The Stivers School for the Arts students swayed and stepped to the theme from the HBO show “Treme” that two classmates played on a trombone and a trumpet.
The New Orleans-style second line of student artists was led by Eva Buttacavoli, the executive director of the Dayton Visual Arts Center.
They carried some of the artwork included in DVAC’s 24th Annual Art Auction, which will take place at 6 p.m. Friday, April 27 at Sinclair Community College’s Ponitz Center,
444 W Third St., downtown Dayton.
Tickets for the event are $50 for DVAC members, $60 for nonmembers and $75 at the door.
INFO & TICKETS: daytonvisualarts.org | 937-224-3822
We were with the students as they made a ruckus in the name of art in a handful of Fifth Street businesses that included Bonnett’s Book Store; Blind Bob’s; Lucky’s Taproom, Goodwill, Lily’s Bistro and Corner Kitchen.