Mom: Child’s burns from laundry detergent pods

Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 @ 12:19 PM
Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

A mother of a toddler said her child broke open a laundry detergent pod and it caused burns to his chest and neck.

Wyketa Moon, of Dayton, said the 22-month-old boy got a pod after she spilled them but believed she had found them all.

“I don’t know if he bit it or broke it,” Moon said. “I know when he came to me, he was moaning. I lifted up his shirt and saw white skin.”

Content Continues Below

Moon said the pods were Tide brand and she called the company. A representative took her information.

Moon gave her son a bath, which caused the burns to worsen. “Thank God he didn’t swallow it.”

The boy was taken to Dayton Children’s Medical Center for treatment.

An article on the website www.webmd.com says children may mistake the gummy texture of laundry pod packs for candy. Poison control experts are warning of severe dangers of the pods if ingested.

“A bite into the packs can cause drooling and vomiting and may burn the mouth, throat, eyes, and lungs,” the article states.