Deputies credited with helping save life of utility worker who suffered electric shock

Deputies credited with helping save life of utility worker who suffered electric shock
Deputy Gust Teague (left) and Deputy Brandon Baker (right) with an automated external defibrillator that helped save the life of a utility worker who suffered an electric shock. (Contributed Photo/Montgomery County Sheriff's Office)

JEFFERSON TWP. — UPDATE @ 12:50 p.m. (Sept. 17):

A utility worker who suffered an electric shock while working on power lines in Jefferson Twp. earlier this month has been released from the hospital, and two deputies are being credited with helping save the man’s life.

>>Montgomery County deputy released from hospital; 1 arrested after pursuit, crash

Content Continues Below

The incident happened Sept. 9 in the 1600 block of Aldrich Road in Jefferson Twp. Deputies who responded to the scene found the utility worker was unresponsive and a fellow utility worker had already begun conducting chest compressions.

“Both Deputy Gust Teague and Deputy Brandon Baker determined the individual was in cardiac arrest and deployed their automated external defibrillator (AED) kit 4 times in correspondence with providing 4 separate cycles of chest compressions and breaths to help restart the individual’s heart,” a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office Spokesperson said in an updated media release Thursday.

The man was taken to an area hospital by medics for treatment and has since been treated and released, the spokesperson said.

“Our deputies receive top notch training and the dedication they demonstrate keeps our citizens safe,” Montgomery County Sheriff Rob Streck said in the release. “Without their training and dedication to the job, the outcome that day would have been much more tragic.”

FIRST REPORT (Sept 9):

A utility company worker suffered an electric shock Wednesday afternoon while working on a utility pole in Jefferson Twp. and was taken to a hospital.

The worker, whose name has not been released, was performing the work in the 1600 block of Aldrich Road when he was electrocuted, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Wednesday night.

Deputies, dispatched just before 2:30 p.m., found the man unresponsive and began life-saving measures. His condition Wednesday night was not known.

The sheriff’s office did not release the name of the electric company.