log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 @ 6:00 AM
Updated: Wednesday, September 04, 2019 @ 12:41 PM
— This First Friday, Sept. 6, say so long to summer in the best ways possible by dining, shopping and experiencing all the First Friday activities downtown from 5-9 p.m.
>> DAYTON BUCKET LIST: 100 things to do in Dayton in 2019
Here are two must-try events and a complete schedule:
Now and Zen is hosting a Sip and Create: As seen on Pinterest event! Between 5-9 p.m., stop by and create a terrarium mug either out of a favorite mug brought to the shop for $10, or choose one of the mugs available in-store for $14. Create a terrarium at the terrarium bar as well.
“Musical Comedy Murders of 1940” will be performed by the Dayton Theatre Guild, 430 Wayne Ave., from 8-10:30 p.m. Be immersed in the ’40s as a Broadway creative team tries to solve the murders committed by the infamous “Slasher.” Tickets are available at www.daytontheatreguild.org, by calling (937) 278-5993 or at the box office the day of the show.
PRO TIP: USE THE FLYER SHUTTLE
Getting to all the listed locations is easy with the help of the free Flyer shuttle buses operating until 11 p.m., connecting dozens of locations between RiverScape MetroPark and the University of Dayton.
Here are a couple highlights this First Friday:
• The Contemporary Dayton, 118 N. Jefferson St.: The Contemporary Dayton is hosting a free opening reception for the exhibit titled And Then Unfolds from 6-8 PM. This exhibit is an exhibition of lyrical, calligraphic abstractions on paper by emerging artists. Call (937) 224-3822.
• Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: Dutoit Gallery will be hosting Leah Stahl as a featured artist. Stop by and enjoy these new pieces from 6-9 p.m. Call (201) 752-4353.
• The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Take a stroll through Front Street on First Friday. Local artists invite you to explore their 60+ working studios and galleries. You’ll find painters, printmakers, jewelry artists, sculptors, glass artists, photographers, mixed media artists, potters, woodworkers, and more.
• Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.: Skeleton Dust will be hosting an art opening for local artist Vincent Williams. Live, modern classical music will be provided by Jason Riley from Arrows of Neon for listening pleasure. 7-9 p.m Call (937) 221-8528.
• The Barrel House, 417 E. Third St.: Join The Barrel House for their September Funky Friday! At 5 p.m., there will be a Smokin Interno BBQ food truck serving made-from-scratch poutine. DJ Hess will be spinning funk tunes from 6-10 p.m. Call (937) 222-4795.
• Blind Bob’s Bar, 430 E. Fifth St.: This First Friday, Blind Bob’s will be hosting Dayton, Cincy and Cbus Unite. There will be musical performances from Dark Backward, Siren Suit, Cliffs, and Far From Eden for a night of loud rock worship. Happy Hour is from 4-8 p.m. with $1 off well drinks. Call (937) 938-6405.
• Carmen’s Deli, 40 N Main St.: Starting at 9:30 p.m., it’s Fiesta Friday and DJ Latin Lou will be playing the best in Bachata, Merengue, Salsa, Reggaeton, and other Latin music. 18+ with ID and a $5 cover charge. Call (937) 610-9999.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: It is another Irish First Friday at Dublin Pub. Happy Hour is from 3-6 p.m. Miami Valley Pipes & Drums will perform at 7 p.m. and music will begin at 9 p.m. Call (937) 224-7822.
• Hannah’s, 121 N. Ludlow St.: The Musician’s Co-op will be hosted by Alyssa Hanson beginning at 9 p.m. 18+. Call (937) 640-1335.
• Levitt Pavilion, 134 S. Main St.: Grab your picnic blankets, chairs, family, and friends and enjoy a free concert by the Sanae-Braxton Collaborative. From 7-9 p.m., listen to a delicious blend of contemporary, chill and smooth jazz. Call (937) 281-2144.
• Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: The Linda Prevo band will be performing at the Oregon Express this First Friday. Happy hour will be from 5-8 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
• Therapy Cafe, 452 E Third St.: At 9:30 p.m., Therapy Cafe will be hosting a free First Friday event where you can hear DJs and musicians including AHBeatz, Jalen Tyree, J Dot Easy, Hank Sno and company, Miz, Drey Dollaz, Scotty T, Coneki, Eli Spar and Zula. Call (937) 461-4000.
• Tumbleweed Connection, 454 E. Fifth St.: The Drifter Kings, a blues/roots band, will take the stage at 9:30 p.m. Call (937) 228-5500.
>> Dayton Music Insider: The best in local music this week
• The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Presenting MOMologues. Enjoy the very relatable stories and BYOW (bring your bottle of wine) for a night out with your favorite fellow moms at 9 p.m. Tickets are $15. Stay after for a free Improv Jam. Get on stage and take a stab at improv at 11 p.m. Call (937) 369-0747.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there is a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5-second increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
• Proto Build Bar, 534 E. First St.: Starting at 6 p.m., you can enjoy a fun-filled evening of tabletop gaming while enjoying a drink or coffee! There will be 25 percent off all board game-related 3D prints. Call (937) 222-6253.
• Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and get blown away by the 10,000-square-foot indoor rock-climbing center inside. Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day pass, belay certification, shoe, and harness rental for $30. 3-11 p.m. Call (937) 224-5724.
🍸FOOD & DRINK
• Basil’s On Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil’s will be hosting Happy Hour from 3-6 p.m. A $5 bar menu includes bruschetta, fries, wings, artichoke dip and tacos. $5 house wine and $5 select craft beer. Call (937) 818-4390.
• Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: $1 off beers, wine, and appetizers. Call (937) 443-0919.
• Oregon Express Bar and Restaurant, 336 E. Fifth St.: Happy hour from 4-7 p.m. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire, and Lagunitas IPA. Live music starts around 9 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
• Reza’s Downtown, 438 Wayne Ave.: Friday is Teacher’s Happy Hour at Reza’s. Free shots of espresso for teachers with work ID from 4-10 p.m. Call (937) 813-1748
• Salar Restaurant & Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5-7 p.m. at the main bar, including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. Bar patrons can enjoy $5 house wines, $1 off draft beer, and select $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Half-price happy hour including appetizers and drinks specials from 4-7 p.m. Call (937) 461-1101.
• Tumbleweed Connection, 454 E. Fifth St.: From 4-8 p.m., come and enjoy a wine tasting on Tumbleweed Connection’s patio and live music. Call (937) 228-5500.
>> GUIDE: Fine dining in the Oregon District
Now and Zen DIY Studio, 37 S. St. Claire St.: This First Friday, Now and Zen are hosting a Sip and Create: As seen on Pinterest event! Stop by between 5-9 PM and create a fun terrarium mug! Bring your own favorite mug to create the terrarium for $10 or purchase a mug at Now and Zen and create your terrarium for $14. Feel free to create a terrarium at their terrarium bar as well! Call (937) 287-1733.
WANT TO GO?
What: First Friday September
Where: Downtown Dayton
When: Friday, Sept. 6, 2019
Cost: Varies by location