Published: Sunday, February 05, 2017 @ 5:07 PM
By: David Jablonski
DAYTON — The beat rolls on for the Dayton women’s basketball team, which remains undefeated in 2017. The Flyers were 7-0 in January, and they are off to a 2-0 start in February.
Dayton picked up its fourth straight double-digit victory and its 10th straight win overall Saturday, routing Virginia Commonwealth 68-48 in Richmond, Va.
Here are five things to know about where the Flyers stand with five games left in the regular season:
1. First place: Dayton (16-7, 10-1) leads Saint Louis by 1½ games. The Billikens (18-5, 8-2) play St. Joseph’s on Sunday afternoon. Dayton beat Saint Louis 78-67 on Jan. 15, and the teams meet again in the regular-season finale Feb. 22 at UD Arena.
2. Road ahead: Dayton plays three of its last five games at home, starting with a 7 p.m. home game Wednesday against Richmond (11-13, 5-6).
Dayton then has a rematch with George Washington (15-8, 8-3) at noon Sunday in Washington, D.C. The Flyers won the first game 50-48 on Jan. 8.
3. Balanced scoring: JaVonna Layfield scored a career-high 20 points Saturday. She’s the fourth different leading scorer in the last five games, following Jenna Burdette, Kelley Austria and Lauren Cannatelli. Seven players average between 5.4 and 12.3 points per game.
4. Strong stats: The Flyers lead in the A-10 in field-goal percentage defense (34.9 in A-10 games). They also lead the conference in rebounding margin (plus 7.5).
5. Win streak: If UD stretches its winning streak to 11 games, it will tie for the 10th longest streak in school history. The Flyers won 11 straight in 1984. If Dayton doesn’t lose again in the regular season, a 15-game winning streak would tie for the fourth-longest in school history.