CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Clark Preparatory Academy,

UPDATE:


YouTube star Logan Paul apologizes for posting video of apparent dead body

Published: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

Logan Paul Issues Apology After Posting Video Of Apparent Dead Body

YouTube personality Logan Paul apologized for sharing a video during a visit to Japan’s “suicide forest” that included footage of what appeared to be a dead body, NPR reported.

>> Read more trending news

“Where do I begin,” Paul wrote on his Twitter page late Monday. “Let’s start with this. I’m sorry.”
“I didn’t do it for views. I get views,” tweeted Paul, who has more than 15 million YouTube subscribers. “I did it because I thought I could make a positive ripple on the internet, not cause a monsoon of negativity.”

Paul said in his Twitter post that he originally posted the video to raise awareness for suicide and suicide prevention.

The video was filmed in the Aokigahara forest at the edge of Mount Fuji, an area that has been famous for its popularity among people who want to carry out a suicide, NPR reported. In his video, Paul blurred out the face of the person who had died, but he showed other parts of the body as he and his friends stood near it and talked.

“Yo, are you alive?" he says in the video, Fox News reported.

The video was uploaded Sunday and titled “We found a dead body in the Japanese Suicide Forest.” According to New York magazine, it garnered more than 6 million views in less than one day before it was removed by Paul.

The backlash Paul received included a tweet from actress and online video veteran Anna Akana, who lost her sister, Kristina, to suicide 10 years ago.

“You do not walk into a suicide forest with a camera and claim mental health awareness,” she tweeted.

An edited version of the video was later posted to Twitter; it does not include footage of the body. Instead, it shows some of Paul's reactions and comments, NPR reported.

Paul said that he had “demonetized” the video, which had a segment in the parking lot near the forest. In that segment, he told viewers that his laughter and attempts at humor were a coping mechanism after seeing the body.

YouTube star Laci Green was not amused, NPR reported, tweeting that “exploiting a suicide victim in Japan to the tune of 6M+ views while YouTube demonetizes students protesting in Iran is a perfect example of what a sociopathic garbage fire YouTube has become.”

Japan’s suicide rate is one of the highest among developed nations, NPR reported. In the U.S., the rate has been climbing since 2000 — with the biggest increase seen in girls who are 10-14 years old, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last year.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Incredibles 2’ comes with epilepsy warning

Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

A still frame from
A still frame from "Incredibles 2."(Walt Disney Pictures)

It’s been 14 years since the Parr family was on the big screen as “The Incredibles,” and it seems like fans have been waiting for the sequel as “Incredibles 2” crushed box office records, taking in an estimated $180 million in its opening domestic weekend, CNN reported.

But the film is now coming with a warning for those who suffer from epilepsy or other conditions, USAToday reported.

>> Read more trending news 

There is a segment of the movie that shows bright flashing lights used by the villain Screenslaver, USAToday reported.

There were warnings on social media from theater goers after last week’s premiere of “Incredibles 2” alerting fans with epilepsy, migraines or chronic illness that the mind control scenes could trigger seizures. 

The Epilepsy Foundation also issued a warning.

On Friday, Walt Disney Pictures took it a step further, requesting that theaters showing the film warn viewers about the scene, USAToday reported.

A theater supervisor for a Los Angeles AMC theater location told USAToday he has never had an alert like that before from a studio.

The Epilepsy Foundation says 3 percent of people with epilepsy can have seizures if exposed to some flashing lights. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain cremated in France, remains returning to US

Published: Friday, June 15, 2018 @ 5:41 PM

Remembering Anthony Bourdain

Award-winning celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has been cremated in France and his remains are returning to the United States on Friday, according to news reports.

>> Read more trending news 

Bourdain, the host of CNN’s popular, Emmy-winning “Parts Unknown” for 11 seasons, was found dead in in Kaysersberg, France, a week ago. The medical examiner ruled his death a suicide after he was found unresponsive in his luxury hotel room by close friend and fellow chef Eric Ripert.

Bourdain, 61, was in France filming another episode for his show.

He was cremated in a private service in France, according to People magazine and other outlets who cited anonymous sources. Since his divorce from Octavia Busia in 2016 was not finalized, she is legally his next of kin. The couple had a daughter, who is now 11.

Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain attends The (RED) Supper hosted by Mario Batali with Anthony Bourdain on June 2, 2016 in New York City. (Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

>> Related: Chef, author, TV star Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Funeral arrangements for Bourdain have not been made public yet.

Trending - Most Read Stories

'Everything Is Love': 3 things we learned from Beyoncé and Jay-Z's surprise album

Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 4:29 AM

Jay-Z and Beyonce Through The Years

Just when you thought Beyoncé and Jay-Z were turning their attention to their globe-trotting “On the Run 2” tour, which kicked off earlier this month in Wales, the couple managed to re-direct the conversation with the surprise weekend arrival of “Everything is Love.”

Here are three things we learned from the nine-song release, which is only (currently) available on Tidal, the streaming service partially owned by Jay-Z. Keep an ear out for Migos, Pharrell Williams and Ty Dolla Sign on the album, as well.

>> Jay-Z, Beyonce release surprise album 'Everything Is Love'

1. Jay-Z and Beyoncé do not suffer from a lack of self-confidence. “I said no to the Super Bowl / You need me, I don’t need you / Every night we in the end zone / Tell the NFL we in stadiums, too,” Jay-Z raps in “Ape****,” the first single from the album filmed in an empty Louvre. In the same song, he also admonishes the Grammy Awards; despite his eight nominations in January, he left empty-handed. “Tell the Grammys [expletive] that 0 for 8 [expletive],” he says.

On “Boss,” Beyonce emphasizes the couple’s wealth (as if anyone was questioning that?): “My great-great-grandchildren already rich / That’s a lot of brown children on your Forbes list.”

2. Clearly, the pair has worked through the issues that resulted in Beyonce’s layered, shade-throwing “Lemonade” and Jay-Z’s response, the stark “4:44” (aka, the album nominated for a bunch of Grammys that didn’t win any). 

On “Ape****,” Beyonce frequently drops a, “I can’t believe we made it,” line and revisits it in the bonus track, “Salud!,” singing, “Celebrate that we made it.” The aptly named “Nice” also finds her proclaiming that she and Jay are “feeling like the best year ever.”

>> Read more trending news 

3. Jay-Z noted in a New York Times story in 2017 that he and his wife used art as a sort of therapy session to make new music.They’ve now made music to directly respond to rumors and slights, standing tall while they sling their arrows.

On “Heard About Us,” Jay-Z makes a final, exasperated comment about his 23-year-old alleged love child: “For the thousandth time the kid ain’t mine / Online they call me Dad kiddingly / You’re not supposed to take this dad thing literally.” In “Friends,” he calls out the fickle ones who can’t maintain an alliance, and also seemingly alludes to Kanye West, who said he was “hurt” when the Carters didn’t attend his 2014 wedding to Kim Kardashian. 

“I ain't going to nobody for nothing when me and my wife beefing / I don't care if the house on fire … / If ya'll don't understand that, we ain't meant to be friends,” Jay-Z claps back.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Chris Cornell’s daughter releases duet in tribute to late Soundgarden singer

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 4:16 PM

Chris Cornell fronted Soundgarten, a Seattle-based grunge group. He died in May 2017.
Buda Mendes/Getty Images
Chris Cornell fronted Soundgarten, a Seattle-based grunge group. He died in May 2017.(Buda Mendes/Getty Images)

The daughter of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell released a recording of a duet with her late father as a Father’s Day tribute, Rolling Stone reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Toni Cornell, 13, released the duet of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” written by Prince and popularized by Sinead O’Connor in 1990, along with a note on YouTube and Instagram thanking her father.

"You gave me courage when I didn't have any. You believed in me when I didn't. I miss your love everyday," Toni Cornell wrote. "Recording this song with you was a special and amazing experience I wish I could repeat 100 times over and I know you would too."

Chris Cornell debuted an acoustic version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" in September 2015 and cut a studio album after Prince’s death in April 2016, Rolling Stone reported. 

Chris Cornell died May 18, 2017, in Detroit while on tour. He was 52. His death was ruled a suicide, Rolling Stone reported.

Toni Cornell sang a moving rendition of “Hallelujah” as a tribute to her father in August 2017.

Trending - Most Read Stories