breaking news


'Today Show' hour with Al Roker, Tamron Hall may move for Megyn Kelly, reports say

Published: Friday, January 27, 2017 @ 4:02 PM
Updated: Friday, January 27, 2017 @ 4:02 PM


            Reports say the 'Today Show' third hour with Al Roker (left) and Tamron Hall (right) may be canceled to make room for a new show hosted by Megyn Kelly (center). (Photo by Ilya S. Savenok/Getty Images for Tribeca Film Festival, Kevin Winter/Getty Images for The Hollywood Reporter, Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)
Reports say the 'Today Show' third hour with Al Roker (left) and Tamron Hall (right) may be canceled to make room for a new show hosted by Megyn Kelly (center). (Photo by Ilya S. Savenok/Getty Images for Tribeca Film Festival, Kevin Winter/Getty Images for The Hollywood Reporter, Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)

Weeks after it was announced that Megyn Kelly would leave Fox News for NBC, there are reports that the political commentator will be moving into the 9 a.m. hour of the "Today Show."

Kelly mentioned launching a new daytime show Monday through Friday in her Jan. 3 statement about the move.

>> Read more trending stories

According to The Hollywood Reporter, despite disputes from within NBC that the third hour will be canceled for Kelly's new slot, the move may be happening. That 9 a.m. hour is currently "Today's Take," hosted by Tamron Hall and Al Roker, and features headlines and commentary about pop culture and celebrities.

Related: Megyn Kelly leaving Fox News for NBC

Variety, citing an unnamed source, reported that Kelly is expected to formally join NBC News in May. The source said that if Kelly's show runs at 9 a.m., Roker and Hall would continue with other roles at NBC News, and if Kelly's show ran at 10 a.m., "Today's" popular "Kathie Lee & Hoda" segment, hosted by Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb, would move to 9 a.m.

People reported that Roker and Hall would continue their hosting duties from 7 to 9 a.m. Hall, who anchors MSNBC Live, also regularly fills in for other "Today Show" hosts.

Another unnamed source told People about Kelly's show that "the format is still in progress, but she will most likely be hosting the hour on her own."

Spokespeople for NBC News and Kelly declined to comment to Variety about the matter.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prince’s family sues Illinois hospital, Walgreens in singer’s overdose death

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 7:17 PM

Musician Prince performs on stage at the 36th NAACP Image Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on March 19, 2005 in Los Angeles, California. Prince was honored with the Vanguard Award. 
Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Musician Prince performs on stage at the 36th NAACP Image Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on March 19, 2005 in Los Angeles, California. Prince was honored with the Vanguard Award. (Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Members of Prince’s family have filed a lawsuit against an Illinois hospital and the Walgreens pharmacy chain, contending both could have done more to prevent the legendary entertainer’s opioid overdose death in April 2016, according to news reports.

>> Read more trending news 

The suit follows a decision made last week by the Carver County Attorney Mark Metz against filing charges in the superstar singer’s death. Following a two-year investigation, Metz, of Carver County, Minnesota, announced Thursday that “Prince died from taking a counterfeit Vicodin pill that contained fentanyl, a dangerously powerful opioid,” but that investigators could not determine who sold the “Purple Rain” singer the pill. Authorities fined the doctor who prescribed Prince painkillers in a friend’s name.

A week before Prince died, he was treated at Trinity Medical Center in Rock Island, Illinois for an overdose. His plane made an emergency landing in Moline after he had played a show in Atlanta, and he was briefly hospitalized after overdosing on the plane.

>> Related: Music legend Prince dead at 57

The suit by the six heirs to Prince’s fortune accuses the doctor who examined the entertainer of misidentifying the pain pill the singer took before his overdose as a Vicodin, when it was instead a counterfeit laced with fentanyl, the Minneapolis Tribune reported. The suit also accuses the hospital of failing to appropriately identify and treat the overdose.

The probable heirs of Prince's estate are split between two lawyers who competed in court on Thursday to represent their interests in managing his estate. Both men - CNN contributor and onetime White House adviser Van Jones, and a show business attorney already hired as an estate consultant, L. Londell McMillan – bragged about established ties to Prince as they testified in court. Their differing backgrounds and priorities have implications for the control and commercial misuse of musical assets left by Prince when he died.

In addition, the suit names Walgreens because it gave prescriptions meant for Prince to his longtime friend and manager Kirk Johnson. 

“We will have much to say when the time is right,” the attorney who filed the suit on behalf of the family, John Goetz, told the Star Tribune

“We have client interests to protect at the moment, including our theory of the case. What happened to Prince is happening to families across America. Prince’s family wishes, through its investigation, to shed additional light on what happened to Prince,” Goetz said.

>> Related: Prince’s doctor fined for drug violations in singer’s death

Prince was 57 when he died on April 21, 2016, at his Paisley Park home of an accidental overdose, six days after the overdose on the plane. 

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Meek Mill sentenced to at least 2 years in prison for probation violation 

Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 8:49 PM

Rapper Meek Mill arrives at the criminal justice center in Philadelphia, Monday, Nov. 6, 2017. A Philadelphia judge has sentenced rapper Mill to two to four years in state prison for violating probation in a nearly decade-old gun and drug case.
AP Photo/Matt Rourke/AP
Rapper Meek Mill arrives at the criminal justice center in Philadelphia, Monday, Nov. 6, 2017. A Philadelphia judge has sentenced rapper Mill to two to four years in state prison for violating probation in a nearly decade-old gun and drug case.(AP Photo/Matt Rourke/AP)

Rapper Meek Mill was sentenced to two to four years in Pennsylvania state prison Monday after violating probation. 

According to KYW, the 30-year-old known legally as Robert Rihmeek Williams, was already under probation for a drug and weapons case and has been arrested twice this year.

>> Read more trending news

In March, Mill was charged with a misdemeanor for an altercation with two employees at St. Louis International Airport.

In August, he was charged for reckless endangerment for illegally riding his dirt bike in the Inwood section of Manhattan in New York. 

People reported that the charges from the March incident were dropped after Mill agreed to do community service.

Despite his charges being dropped, Judge Genece Brinkley, who had been dealing with Mill since 2008 following a conviction for dealing drugs and gun possession, still sentenced the rapper to prison.

The sentencing also came from other violations of probation. Philly.com reported Brinkley cited Mill and his managers for repeatedly scheduling performances outside of Philadelphia or Montgomery County. At the time, in 2016, Mill was on house arrest for 90 days after violating probation for unapproved travel.

Before being sentenced, Mill said his violations were mistakes and not disrespect of Brinkley or the court.

“I’m human. I’m not perfect,” Mill told Brinkley. “I’m asking for mercy. You gave me the ladder to do what I have to do to prevail in my struggle. I made it this far, I can’t really go back and start over.”

“I gave you break after break and you basically just thumbed your nose at this court,” Brinkley said.

Brinkley ordered Mill be immediately taken into custody. Philly.com reported Mill removed his personal items and handed them to his lawyer, Brian J. McMonagle, before being escorted from the court.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Rapper Meek Mill released from prison after 5 months

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 5:23 PM

Pennsylvania’s  Supreme Court has ordered rapper Meek Mill to be freed from prisono on bail. (Photo by Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Fanatics)
Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Fanatics
Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court has ordered rapper Meek Mill to be freed from prisono on bail. (Photo by Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Fanatics)(Robin Marchant/Getty Images for Fanatics)

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has ordered the immediate release of rapper Meek Mill.

TMZ reported that the 30-year-old, whose birth name is Robert Rihmeek Williams, was denied bail last week by Judge Genece Brinkley. Brinkley had been criticized for having what some considered a bias against Meek.

>> Read more trending news 

In November, Meek was sentenced to two to four years in prison after violating probation for a drug and weapons case when he was 21.

The Associated Press reported that Meek will be on bail while he appeals the gun and drug convictions.

Activists and celebrities, including JAY-Z, T.I. and Kevin Hart, have shown support for Meek. At the time of the sentencing, JAY-Z said Brinkley’s sentence was “unjust and heavy handed.” Hart visited Meek in prison earlier Tuesday with 76ers co-owner Michael Rubin.

Related: Meek Mill sentenced to at least 2 years in prison for probation violation

“We are thrilled that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has directed Judge Brinkley to immediately issue an order releasing Meek on bail,” Meek’s lawyer, Joe Tacopina, said in a statement. “As we have said all along, Meek was unjustly convicted and should not have spent a single day in jail. We are also pleased that the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has noted that Judge Brinkley may opt to remove herself from presiding over any further proceedings in Meek’s case in the interests of justice. Meek is excited to be reunited with his family, and we, along with Meek, intend to continue to shine the light on a justice system in need of reform to prevent any other citizen from being put through what Meek has endured.”

Related: JAY-Z, T.I., and others slam Meek Mill sentence as ‘unjust and heavy-handed’

Meek himself issued a statement that was posted on his Twitter page. He thanked his supporters and advocates while voicing plans to bring attention to people of color in prison and move on with his career.

“I’d like to thank God, my family, and all my public advocates for their love, support and encouragement during this difficult time,” the statement said. “While the past five months have been a nightmare, the prayers, visits, calls, letters and rallies have helped me stay positive.

“To the Philly District Attorney’s office, I’m grateful for your commitment to justice. I understand that many people of color across the country don’t have that luxury and I plan to use my platform to shine a light on those issues. In the meantime, I plan to work closely with my legal team to overturn this unwarranted conviction and look forward to reuniting with my family and resuming my music career.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

’Schoolhouse Rock’ composer, jazz musician Bob Dorough dead at 94

Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 @ 5:46 PM

Bob Dorough performing at Joe's Pub at the Public, March 9, 2014. 
Kevin Yatarola/Getty Images
Bob Dorough performing at Joe's Pub at the Public, March 9, 2014. (Kevin Yatarola/Getty Images)

Gen Xers and millennials may not recognize the name, but they’ll certainly recognize the music and lyrics Bob Dorough wrote for “Schoolhouse Rock.”

>> Read more trending news 

Children who grew up in the 1970s and 80s watching Saturday-morning television invariaby saw and can probably recite Dorough’s “Conjunction Junction,” one of the best-known Grammar Rock cartoons, or maybe “Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Abverbs Here.” 

Dorough died Monday from natural causes at his home in Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania, according to The Associated Press. He was 94 years old.

Dorough was the artist behind the “Multiplication Rock” math series, creating all the lyrics and music for the series, which was part of ABC’s educational “Schoolhouse Rock” series, according to USA Today

>> Related: Longtime NPR broadcaster Carl Kasell has died from Alzheimer’s disease at 84

He also wrote the song, “Devil May Care,” which jazz legend Miles Davis recorded, according to Dorough’s biography.

Dorough was born in Arkansas and raised in Texas, where he “immediately fell in love with music upon joining the Planview Texas High School Band,” his biography said.

He gained musical experience after serving in the Special Services Army Band Unit from 1943-1945, playing multiple instruments, including the saxophone, clarinet and piano.

>> Related: Actor comedian Harry Anderson of 'Night Court' fame dead at 65

Dorough, a 1949 graduate of the University of North Texas, studied composition and piano and went on to perform in jazz clubs in Los Angeles and Paris, but it was a commission in 1971 to “set the multiplication tables to music” that led to his most well-known gig. Dorough became the musical director for “Schoolhouse Rock,” and entertained and instructed unsuspecting children from 1973 until 1985.

In 1995, Dorough signed on with jazz label Blue Note Records and recorded three albums for the label.

Dorough’s funeral is scheduled for Monday in Mount Bethel, Pennsylvania. 

Trending - Most Read Stories