CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Clark Preparatory Academy,

Oprah says God would have to tell her to run for president

Published: Thursday, March 01, 2018 @ 2:02 AM

What You Need to Know: Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey previously made it clear that she has no plans to run for president of the United States in 2020, but she revealed to People magazine that there’s one thing that could make her change her mind: God.

Winfrey received calls to run for president from friends and fans alike after giving an inspiring speech at the Golden Globes in January, but she later denied that she was planning to run. However, instead of just ignoring the calls to run for president, she decided to turn to prayer.

>> Oprah on 2020 presidential run: 'That's not for me'

“I went into prayer,” she told People. “‘God, if you think I’m supposed to run, you gotta tell me, and it has to be so clear that not even I can miss it.’ And I haven’t gotten that.”

Winfrey was surprised to hear the response to her moving speech, telling the publication that she was happy with her speech, but she never expected the reaction that it got.

“When I walked off with Reese [Witherspoon], I thought, ‘I got that done,’” Winfrey said. “It wasn’t until I was back in the press room that they said, ‘Do you realize you’re trending?’”

Soon after the speech, people started contacting her, encouraging her to run, including close friends, such as best friend Gayle King, and billionaires offering to fund her campaign.

>> Read more trending news 

“I had people – wealthy, billionaires – calling me up and saying, ‘I can get you a billion dollars. I can run your campaign,’” she revealed. “That many people saying something made me think, ‘Am I at least supposed to look at the question?’”

Still, Winfrey had previously said the job doesn’t “interest” her and that she doesn’t think she has the “DNA” to be president, the Telegraph reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Chris Cornell’s daughter releases duet in tribute to late Soundgarden singer

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 4:16 PM

Chris Cornell fronted Soundgarten, a Seattle-based grunge group. He died in May 2017.
Buda Mendes/Getty Images
Chris Cornell fronted Soundgarten, a Seattle-based grunge group. He died in May 2017.(Buda Mendes/Getty Images)

The daughter of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell released a recording of a duet with her late father as a Father’s Day tribute, Rolling Stone reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Toni Cornell, 13, released the duet of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” written by Prince and popularized by Sinead O’Connor in 1990, along with a note on YouTube and Instagram thanking her father.

"You gave me courage when I didn't have any. You believed in me when I didn't. I miss your love everyday," Toni Cornell wrote. "Recording this song with you was a special and amazing experience I wish I could repeat 100 times over and I know you would too."

Chris Cornell debuted an acoustic version of "Nothing Compares 2 U" in September 2015 and cut a studio album after Prince’s death in April 2016, Rolling Stone reported. 

Chris Cornell died May 18, 2017, in Detroit while on tour. He was 52. His death was ruled a suicide, Rolling Stone reported.

Toni Cornell sang a moving rendition of “Hallelujah” as a tribute to her father in August 2017.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Seth MacFarlane criticizes Fox, network anchor Tucker Carlson

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 1:13 PM

Comedian  Seth MacFarlane said he was embarrassed to work for the Fox network after the comments made Friday by network host Tucker Carlson.
Roy Rochlin/Getty Images
Comedian Seth MacFarlane said he was embarrassed to work for the Fox network after the comments made Friday by network host Tucker Carlson.(Roy Rochlin/Getty Images)

Comedian Seth MacFarlane tweeted that comments made by Fox News host Tucker Carlson made him “embarrassed” to work for the network, The Hill reported Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

MacFarlane’s science fiction comedy-drama series “The Orville,” is broadcast on Fox. He also created the long-running “Family Guy” animated show that is aired by the network. On Saturday, MacFarlane took issue with Carlson’s comments that urged viewers not to trust news reports from “big stations.”

“If you're looking to understand what's actually happening in this country, always assume the opposite of whatever they're telling you on the big news stations,” Carlson said in his Friday night telecast.

MacFarlane was responding to CNN media correspondent Brian Stelter, who called Carlson’s comments “sad” on Twitter.

“In other words, don’t think critically, don’t consult multiple news sources, and in general, don’t use your brain. Just blindly obey Fox News,” MacFarlane tweeted. “It’s business like this that makes me embarrassed to work for this company.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Country singer Scotty McCreery marries longtime girlfriend

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

Country singer Scotty McCreery married his longtime girlfriend in the North Carolina mountains on Saturday.
Matt Winkelmeyer
Country singer Scotty McCreery married his longtime girlfriend in the North Carolina mountains on Saturday.(Matt Winkelmeyer)

Country music star Scotty McGreery married his longtime girlfriend, Gabi Dugal, in the North Carolina mountains on Saturday, People reported.

>> Read more trending news

McCreery, who was the 2011 winner of “American Idol,” wed near Grandfather Mountain, WRAL reported.

Dugal is a graduate of the University of North Carolina and works as a pediatric nurse at Duke University Hospital, WRAL reported.

“We’ve been dating six years and have known each other our whole lives,” McCreery told People. “That kind of story doesn’t happen too often nowadays.

“I support her dreams and she supports mine.”

The couple met as kindergarten students in Garner, North Carolina, WRAL reported.

The couple, both 24, made Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling In Love” their first dance, People reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Chris Hardwick's AMC talk show on hiatus following sexual, emotional abuse allegations

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 7:10 AM

TV personality Chris Hardwick attends the premiere of Disney and Marvel's
TV personality Chris Hardwick attends the premiere of Disney and Marvel's "Black Panther" at Dolby Theatre on January 29, 2018, in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)(Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)

AMC announced it won't air Chris Hardwick's talk show after an ex-girlfriend wrote a blog post that appeared to accuse the TV host – without naming him – of emotional and sexual abuse.

In a statement Saturday, the network added that the "Talking With Chris Hardwick" host will not moderate panels for AMC and BBC America at San Diego Comic-Con.

>> More than half of women in science experience harassment, extensive report finds

"We have had a positive working relationship with Chris Hardwick for many years," the statement said. "We take the troubling allegations that surfaced yesterday very seriously. While we assess the situation, 'Talking With Chris Hardwick' will not air on AMC, and Chris has decided to step aside from moderating planned AMC and BBC America panels at Comic-Con International in San Diego next month."

>> Harvey Weinstein faces new rape accusation in a class-action lawsuit filed Friday

Hardwick also hosts "The Wall" on NBC, which issued a statement saying it was "continuing to assess the situation" and would "take appropriate action based on the outcome," USA Today reported.

The news came after Chloe Dykstra, an actress and model who used to date Hardwick, wrote a blog post for Medium accusing an ex-boyfriend of emotionally and sexually abusive behavior. Although she did not use the ex-boyfriend's name, descriptions of the man's career and age appeared to match Hardwick, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read the blog post here

According to Deadline, Hardwick issued the following statement Friday:

"These are very serious allegations and not to be taken lightly which is why I’ve taken the day to consider how to respond," the statement read. "I was heartbroken to read Chloe’s post. Our three year relationship was not perfect – we were ultimately not a good match and argued – even shouted at each other – but I loved her, and did my best to uplift and support her as a partner and companion in any way and at no time did I sexually assault her."

>> Sylvester Stallone sexual assault case under review by prosecutors

The statement continued: "When we were living together, I found out that Chloe had cheated on me, and I ended the relationship. For several weeks after we broke up, she asked to get back together with me and even told me she wanted to have kids with me, 'build a life' with me and told me that I was 'the one,' but I did not want to be with someone who was unfaithful. I’m devastated to read that she is now accusing me of conduct that did not occur. l was blindsided by her post and always wanted the best for her. As a husband, a son, and future father, I do not condone any kind of mistreatment of women."

>> Read more trending news 

The website Nerdist, which Hardwick founded but is now owned by Legendary Entertainment, posted Friday that the behavior Dykstra described "is contrary to everything we stand for and believe in."

Legendary added: "Chris Hardwick had no operational involvement with Nerdist for the two years preceding the expiration of his contract in December 2017. He no longer has any affiliation with Legendary Digital Networks. The company has removed all reference to Mr. Hardwick even as the original Founder of Nerdist pending further investigation."

VIDEO: ‘The Silence Breakers’ Named Time Magazine’s Person of the Year

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories