Mariah Carey finds her New Year's tea, takes Twitter by storm

Published: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 @ 5:33 AM

Mariah Carey performs on stage at the New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017, in New York. (Photo by Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP)
Brent N. Clarke/Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP
Mariah Carey performs on stage at the New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017, in New York. (Photo by Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP)(Brent N. Clarke/Brent N. Clarke/Invision/AP)

Mariah Carey got another chance to perform during “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest” after bombing last year, but she didn’t just slay her performances — she became an internet sensation in the process, and it was all thanks to her love of tea.

>> PHOTOS: New Year's celebrations around the world

At Sunday evening’s event, after she had finished performing her first song, Carey noticed that there was no tea on hand to warm her up in the tundra-esque New York climate.

>> PHOTOS: Freezing temps don’t deter crowds at Times Square for New Year’s Eve

“I was told there would be tea. Oh, it’s a disaster!” she told the audience. “OK, well, we’ll just have to rough it. I’m gonna be like everybody else with no hot tea.”

Given Carey's diva reputation, the request was fairly mundane. But social media users had plenty to say:

But of course, Carey always gets her own way, and in the end, she found her tea.

The pop icon announced the news that she would be performing at the televised celebration in a joint statement with Dick Clark Productions, saying, “We can all agree that last year didn’t go exactly as planned and we are thrilled to move forward together to provide America with an incredible night of music and celebration on ‘Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2018.’ See you in Times Square!”

>> Read more trending news 

In a public spat, the singer blamed her disastrous performance last year on ear piece issues and later accused the production company of purposely attempting to sabotage her. Dick Clark Productions denied involvement in Carey’s meltdown in a statement:

"In very rare instances there are of course technical errors that can occur with live television, however, an initial investigation has indicated that Dick Clark Productions had no involvement in the challenges associated with Ms. Carey’s ‘New Year’s Eve’ performance. We want to be clear that we have the utmost respect for Ms. Carey as an artist and acknowledge her tremendous accomplishments in the industry."

“It is difficult to perform in Times Square,” Seacrest followed up on his "On Air With Ryan Seacrest" radio show last January, “[Carey] knows what Times Square is about. It’s complicated. Imagine every single TV outlet in the world was there. So, there’s all kinds of technical things going on."

New Year’s Eve Traditions

Trending - Most Read Stories

Royal Wedding: Everything to know before Prince Harry marries Meghan Markle

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 1:16 PM

Royal Love: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

On May 19, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will marry in Windsor, England, in a ceremony that will be low-key only by royal standards.

For the millions of commoners expected to watch on TV, some aspects of the nuptials may seem as odd or over-the-top as the more highbrowed guests’ headgear.

>> Read more trending news 

This guide covers everything anyone’s ever wanted to know about the big event.  

The happy couple: Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales, 33, is the grandson of Queen Elizabeth II and the younger son of Prince Charles and the late Diana, Princess of Wales. He’s fifth in line to the throne -- Charles is first -- but the order will change when his sister-in-law Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, gives birth to her third child

Related: Meghan Markle: 7 things to know

Rachel Meghan Markle of California, 36, is the only child of Thomas Markle and Doria Ragland, who are divorced. She co-starred for seven seasons on “Suits” on USA Network. One day after the royal engagement announcement on Nov. 27, 2017, the cable network made it official Markle wouldn’t be back for season 8. Her last appearance, in the two-hour season finale, airs April 25.

The “I Do” date and time: The ceremony begins at noon local time on May 19. That’s 7 a.m. EST in the U.S. After the ceremony, the newlyweds will take a carriage ride through the town of Windsor, then head back to Windsor Castle.

The venue: St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle. A royal residence some 20 miles west of London, Windsor Castle is where Queen Elizabeth spends most weekends. It’s the largest inhabited castle in the world.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are getting married May 19 in London. (Photo by Chris Jackson - WPA Pool/Getty Images)(Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

The chapel, which was built in the 14th century, is where some other royals have wed. In 2005, Harry’s dad and stepmom, Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles were married in a civil service in the town of Windsor, then had a prayer service at St. George’s Chapel. It seats 800 people.

Related: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle engaged: What to know

Many royals are buried in the chapel as well. Most infamously, perhaps, King Henry VIII and Jane Seymour, his third of six wives, lie there for eternity.

Will it be on TV?: Nothing’s been officially announced yet, but two things are beyond certain about this wedding: The queen will have the best seat in the house and it will be televised and live-streamed. 

Nothing brings in tourists and other business like TV coverage of a fancy wedding. When Harry’s brother, Prince William, married Kate Middleton in 2011, it was shown live on TV in over 180 countries and streamed online. YouTube alone had 72 million livestream views. 

The reception: All guests invited to the actual ceremony will attend a luncheon afterward hosted by the queen at St. George’s Hall. The traditional wedding cake for royal weddings is fruitcake.

Related: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle seek charity donations over wedding gifts

People reported that, according to a March 20 statement from Kensington Palace, Harry and Meghan are said to be going rogue and having a lemon elderflower cake with buttercream icing. After that, will be a reception that night for an even more select guest list of 200 people that Prince Charles is throwing at Frogmore House, another royal residence about a half-mile from Windsor Castle. 

The wedding party: The Brits do this differently, generally favoring little kids as bridesmaids/flower girls and page boys instead of adult attendants. In past royal weddings, this has led to memorable incidents, like a 4-year-old Prince William playing with his straw boater hat and talking away during the 1986 nuptials of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. Right now, William’s own kids, Prince George and Princess Charlotte are considered a done deal for Harry’s wedding party. So is the 4-year-old daughter of Markle’s Canadian stylist and close friend, Jessica Mulroney.

You can bet on everything in the U.K.when it comes to this wedding and William is getting top odds to be his brother’s best man. Plus, oddsmaker William Hill is reportedly taking bets on how William will wear his hair on the big day.

Who’s invited: Six hundred invitations to the ceremony have gone out. Count on all the immediate royal relations, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip, Uncle Prince Andrew and his daughters Beatrice and Eugenie, plus various dukes and duchesses and major and minor European royalty. 

Then there are some celebrity friends of the bride -- tennis star Serena Williams) and groom -- singers James Blunt and, if you believe the tabloids, Rihanna -- who should make the cut. Also, the Spice Girls may or may not be there. Mel B, aka Scary Spice, has said they will be, but when asked about it by “Late Late Show” host James Corden, Posh Spice Victoria Beckham  stammered, “I don’t know.”

Related: See Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s official wedding invitation

Additionally, 2,640 members of the public have been invited inside the grounds of Windsor Castle to watch the arrival and departure of the wedding party and guests. Included are 100 schoolchildren, 600-plus people who live and work around Windsor Castle, plus others from charities, nonprofits and other causes important to the couple.

Who’s not invited: Besides you and me? President Donald Trump. And he’s in good company. British Prime Minister Theresa May isn’t invited either. In fact,  no U.S. or world political leaders have been invited, according to Kensington Palace (home base and official representative of Harry and William). “It has been decided that an official list of political leaders — both UK and international — is not required for Prince Harry and Ms. Markle’s wedding,” the palace explained in that lovely, do forgive us sort of British way. Royal officials won’t say if good FOH (Friends of Harry) Barack and Michelle Obama, were invited, but it’s known they’re not going.

What about Fergie? That would be Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York and friend of Harry’s late mother, Diana. The fun-loving redhead fell out of favor with the royal family after her 1996 divorce from Prince Andrew. In a very public dis, she was left off the guest list for William and Kate’s 2011 wedding.

British tabloid the Sun quoted an unnamed source who said she won’t be there because Harry supposedly couldn’t trust her to “keep her mouth shut and respect their privacy.” People reported Harry had “pushed for” Fergie to be invited because he’s very close to her daughters, Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice. 

What about Meghan’s family? Though long divorced, Markle’s parents released a joint statement of joy over her engagement and it’s said both will be at the wedding. In fact, Thomas Markle, an Emmy-winning lighting director, is expected to give his daughter away.

Related: Who are Meghan Markle’s family members, Prince Harry’s future in-laws?

After that, things get a bit sticky. Proving that the royals don’t have a monopoly on family issues, Meghan’s two older half siblings from her dad’s first marriage reportedly aren’t invited -- and at least one of them isn’t happy about it. Her half sister, Samantha Grant, has reportedly claimed Meghan is “inviting 2000 complete strangers” to the wedding rather than family and even blasted Harry about it with a “Time to man up!” tweet. Grant’s reportedly writing a book about Markle. Trevor Engelson, an American movie and TV producer and Markle’s ex-husband, is said by some British newspapers to be developing a show about an American divorcee who moves to England to marry a prince.

Meghan’s wedding dress: Despite her convention-flouting penchant for wearing pants at some royal engagements, it’s expected that Markle will wear a dress. The design is top-secret, but the designers mentioned most often as front-runners to create it are Erdem Moralioglu, Ralph & Russo and Alexander McQueen. All three are London-based and McQueen designed Kate Middleton’s royal wedding gown. With it being the U.K., spectators can bet on the dress. However, sometimes British bookmakers have periodically suspended betting as a lot of money pours in on one particular designer.

Harry’s duds: Most likely a uniform.  Harry served in the British Army for 10 years, doing two tours in Afghanistan and rising to the rank of captain. In 2014, he launched Invictus Games, an annual Paralympic-style sporting event for injured servicemen and women In December, he was appointed Captain General Royal Marines, taking over the important ceremonial role after 64 years from his grandfather, Prince Phillip.

What everyone else will wear: For men, the invitation specifies “dress uniform, morning coat or lounge suit.” For the ladies, it’s “day dress with hat.” Many women will sport fascinators, lightweight headpieces decorated with feathers, flowers and beads, among other items. They are worn for formal occasions. 

Royal Wedding Souvenirs : Shops in London already have royal wedding mugs, tea towels, decorative objects and the like for sale.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Judge forces David Copperfield to reveal 'Lucky #13' magic trick

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 7:09 AM

What You Need To Know: David Copperfield

David Copperfield was forced to shatter his most famous illusion.

>> Read more trending news

The famed magician was ordered in court Tuesday to break the Magicians Oath in court Tuesday, the BBC reported. A judge ordered Copperfield to explain one of his most famous tricks -- the Lucky #13 -- during a trial involving a man who claimed he was injured during the stunt.

British tourist Gavin Cox, 58, filed a negligence lawsuit against the illusionist, Time reported. Cox claimed he fell while participating in the Lucky #13 trick at the MGM Grand Resort and Casino in Las Vegas in 2013, the BBC reported. In the trick, Copperfield makes 13 audience members, chosen at random, disappear on stage and then reappear at the back of the room, the BBC reported. 

Cox told NBC News that he has suffered chronic pain and brain injury and has spent more than $400,000 on medical bills.

Copperfield’s attorney argued that revealing the secret would be financially detrimental, but a Las Vegas district court ruled against the magician

A Las Vegas district court rejected Copperfield’s defense, which argued that disclosing the secret behind the trick would be financially detrimental to him. He was ordered to explain how the trick was done.

Spoiler alert: Copperfield’s executive producer testified that when the curtain falls, the 13 volunteers are taken through passageways that circle the MGM building. They exit the building and then re-enter at the back of the theater, Time reported.

“There was a duty by the defendants to provide a safe environment to the audience participants,” Cox’s lawyer, Benedict Morelli, said in the opening statements.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kanye West announces new albums, release dates on Twitter

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

What You Need to Know: Kanye West

Kanye West has been doing a lot of tweeting lately, teasing a philosophy book and sharing his thoughts on life and creativity.

His latest set of tweets, however, is about music.

>> Read more trending news 

The rapper, husband and father of three announced two new albums.

One album, called “Kids See Ghost,” will be a joint effort with Kid Cudi,  who is signed to West’s GOOD Music label  imprint. The name of the album is also the name of West and Cudi’s group.

“Kids See Ghost” will be out June 8.

“Me and Cudi album June 8th,’ West tweeted. “It’s called Kids See Ghost. That's the name of our group.” 

Before the release of that album, West will release his own seven-track album June 1.

“My album is 7 songs,” he tweeted. “June 1st.”

West also announced the release dates for albums from other artists on GOOD Music. Teyana Taylor’s album will be out June 22 and Pusha T has a release May 25.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton police, Limp Bizkit tweet statements about Limp Bizkit at Sunoco

Published: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 @ 2:55 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 @ 2:55 PM

The Dayton Police Department took to Twitter in response to claims made on a Facebook event page that Limp Bizkit will play a concert Thursday, April 20 at the Sunoco at Keowee St. and Wayne Avenue. 

"These ads are False," the department says. 

Trending - Most Read Stories