Lupita Nyong’o calls out magazine for photo-editing her hair

Published: Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 7:58 PM

Actress Lupita Nyong'o says Grazia UK digitally altered her hair on the cover of its magazine.
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images/Getty Images
Actress Lupita Nyong'o says Grazia UK digitally altered her hair on the cover of its magazine.(Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images/Getty Images)

Lupita Nyong’o is calling out a British fashion magazine for digitally altering her hair.

According to the actress, Grazia UK changed the appearance of her hair to make it appear slicker and less textured.

>> Read more trending news

“Disappointed that @GraziaUK edited out & smoothed my hair to fit a more Eurocentric notion of what beautiful hair looks like,” she tweeted.

BBC News reported that Nyong’o addressed the change in the photos in an Instagram post Thursday.

As I have made clear so often in the past with every fiber of my being, I embrace my natural heritage and despite having grown up thinking light skin and straight, silky hair were the standards of beauty, I now know that my dark skin and kinky, coily hair are beautiful too. Being featured on the cover of a magazine fulfills me as it is an opportunity to show other dark, kinky-haired people, and particularly our children, that they are beautiful just the way they are. I am disappointed that @graziauk invited me to be on their cover and then edited out and smoothed my hair to fit their notion of what beautiful hair looks like. Had I been consulted, I would have explained that I cannot support or condone the omission of what is my native heritage with the intention that they appreciate that there is still a very long way to go to combat the unconscious prejudice against black women's complexion, hair style and texture. #dtmh

A post shared by Lupita Nyong'o (@lupitanyongo) on

“As I have made clear so often in the past with every fiber of my being, I embrace my natural heritage and despite having grown up thinking light skin and straight, silky hair were the standards of beauty, I now know that my dark skin and kinky, coily hair are beautiful too,” Nyong’o wrote. “Being featured on the cover of a magazine fulfills me as it is an opportunity to show other dark, kinky-haired people, and particularly our children, that they are beautiful just the way they are.

“I am disappointed that @graziauk invited me to be on their cover and then edited out and smoothed my hair to fit their notion of what beautiful hair looks like. Had I been consulted, I would have explained that I cannot support or condone the omission of what is my native heritage with the intention that they appreciate that there is still a very long way to go to combat the unconscious prejudice against black women’s complexion, hair style and texture.”

Nyong’o included a photo of Grazia’s Nov. 2017 cover alongside two photos that appear to be the original, unedited shots. Her coily hair is slicked back into a low, textured ponytail.

She included the hashtag #dtmh, which stands for “Don’t Touch My Hair,” a phrase that is also the title of a song from Solange Knowles’ album, “A Seat at the Table.”

Grazia has since apologized for the cover in an Instagram post of its own.

“Grazia is committed to representing diversity throughout its pages and apolgises unreservedly to Lupita Nyong’o,” the publication said in a statement on Friday.

“Grazia magazine would like to make it clear that at no point did they make an editorial request to the photographer for Lupita Nyong’o’s hair to be altered on this week’s cover, nor did we alter it ourselves. But we apologise unreservedly for not upholding the editorial standards in ensuring that we were aware of all alterations that had been made.”

A post shared by Grazia UK (@graziauk) on

Nyong’o’s callout of Grazia comes after Knowles criticized “Evening Standard” magazine for editing out her hair on the cover of its publication in October. The singer posed for the magazine with blonde cornrows that were topped with a tall, blonde, braided halo. 

dtmh @eveningstandardmagazine

A post shared by Solange (@saintrecords) on

Trending - Most Read Stories

Actress Brigitte Nielsen delivers 5th child, a daughter, at age 54

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 5:22 PM

Actress Brigitte Nielsen attends the taping of a TV show on May 9, 2015 in Bottrop, Germany. 
Sascha Steinbach/Getty Images
Actress Brigitte Nielsen attends the taping of a TV show on May 9, 2015 in Bottrop, Germany. (Sascha Steinbach/Getty Images)

Actress Brigitte Nielsen has a new baby, delivering her fifth child, a daughter, on Friday in Los Angeles, according to People magazine.

>> Read more trending news 

Nielsen, 54, announced her pregnancy last month with husband Mattia Dessi. 

you'll be a great papà ❤️ Ti amo 💋 #fathersday #daddy #love #family

A post shared by Brigitte Nielsen (@realbrigittenielsen) on

“We are overjoyed to welcome our beautiful daughter into our lives,” the couple told People. “It’s been a long road, and so worth it. We’ve never been more in love.”

People reported the couple named the new baby, who weighed in at 5 lbs. 9 oz., Frida.

The star of “Red Sonja” and “Beverly Hills Cop II” has been married four times before and has four sons, the oldest 34.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Game of Thrones’ co-stars Kit Harington, Rose Leslie wed in Scotland

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:02 PM

'Game of Thrones' actors Kit Harington and Rose Leslie celebrate as they leave after their wedding ceremony, at Rayne Church, Kirkton of Rayne in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Saturday June 23, 2018.
Jane Barlow/AP
'Game of Thrones' actors Kit Harington and Rose Leslie celebrate as they leave after their wedding ceremony, at Rayne Church, Kirkton of Rayne in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Saturday June 23, 2018.(Jane Barlow/AP)

“Game of Thrones” co-stars Kit Harington and Rose Leslie married at an ancestral castle in Scotland on Saturday.

The couple and guests celebrated with an afternoon service at Rayne Church, which is close to the 900-year-old Wardhill Castle owned by Leslie’s family. 

>> Read more trending news 

Guests included “Game of Thrones” co-stars Peter Dinklage, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner and Emilia Clarke.

Harington wore a morning suit and Leslie donned an ivory gown and veil.

Actors Kit Harington and Rose Leslie reacts as they leave after their wedding ceremony, at Rayne Church, Kirkton of Rayne in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Saturday June 23, 2018.(Jane Barlow/AP)

The newlyweds were showered with rose petal confetti as they left the church and drove off in a Land Rover festooned with “Just Married” signs to a reception on the castle grounds.

Harington and Leslie, who are both 31, met in 2012 on the set of the HBO fantasy series, where they played a couple as the characters Jon Snow and Ygritte. 

Leslie left the cast in 2014 and currently stars in the legal drama “The Good Fight” on CBS.

The bride's father, Sebastian Leslie, said Saturday he was “absolutely thrilled” about the wedding.

Actress Rose Leslie is escorted by her father Sebastian as they arrive for her wedding at Rayne Church, Kirkton of Rayne in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Saturday June 23, 2018.(Jane Barlow/AP)

“It's an absolutely lovely day for us,” he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Anthony Bourdain to be honored with ‘food trail’ in home state of New Jersey

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

Remembering Anthony Bourdain

New Jersey is honoring native son and award-winning celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain with a “food trail” of his favorite New Jersey restaurants.

>> Read more trending news 

Although the popular writer, storyteller and host of CNN’s Emmy-winning “Parts Unknown” was born in New York, according to his biography, Bourdain grew up in Leonia, New Jersey, and spent his summers at the Jersey shore.

Bourdain, 61, was found dead almost two weeks ago in his luxury hotel room in Kaysersberg, France, while working on an episode of “Parts Unknown.” The medical examiner ruled his death a suicide.

Fans around the world were grief-stricken with news of his death, including those in New Jersey. 

Camden Assemblyman Paul Moriarty wanted to find a way to honor the renowned globetrotter and proposed an official Anthony Bourdain Food Trail that would include the 10 restaurants he visited during a 2015 episode of “Parts Unknown,” according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

>> Related: Celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain cremated in France, remains returning to U.S.

The proposed trail, which the state’s Division of Travel and Tourism would need to establish, would include “Kubel’s in Barnegat Light, Hiram’s Roadstand in Fort Lee, Knife & Fork, Dock’s Oyster House, Tony’s Baltimore Grill, and James’ Salt Water Taffy in Atlantic City, Tony and Ruth Steaks and Donkey’s Place in Camden, Lucille’s Country Cooking in Barnegat, and Frank’s Deli in Asbury Park,” the Inquirer reported.

Moriarty called Bourdain a New Jersey food icon and said the state should create a food trail as a way to honor him.

“There’s no question that Anthony’s road to fame was not an easy one,” Moriarty said in a statement, according to the newspaper

Chef Anthony Bourdain attends The (RED) Supper hosted by Mario Batali with Anthony Bourdain on June 2, 2016 in New York City.(Mike Coppola/Getty Images)

“Even after international fame, he never forgot his Jersey roots. Each episode, Bourdain brought his homegrown wit, charm, and sense of humanity to his viewers,” he said.

>> Related: Chef, author, TV star Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Bourdain rose to fame in the late 1990s with an article that became a bestselling, tell-all book called “Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly,” which was as much a memoir as a gritty, unfiltered description of life in New York restaurant kitchens.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Netflix executive apologizes, resigns after using racial slurs

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 8:09 AM

Netflix Chief Communications Officer Resigns After Using Racial Slurs

Netflix’s chief communications officer apologized and resigned after using a racial slur in front of colleagues on at least two occasions, CNN reported Friday.

>> Read more trending news 

Jonathan Friedland apologized on Twitter and said he was leaving the company after seven years.

"I feel awful about the distress this lapse caused to people at a company I love and where I want everyone to feel included and appreciated," Friedland tweeted.

Variety obtained a copy of a memo Netflix CEO Reed Hastings sent to employees to explain the situation. A copy was tweeted by The Hollywood Reporter.

The memo referenced an incident from several months ago when Friedland used a racial slur while meeting with Netflix public relations staff, CNN reported. The meeting was about sensitive words, and Friedland apologized afterward when people said his use of the word was inappropriate and hurtful.

He used the same slur a few days later in front of two black employees at Netflix’s human resources department while discussing the first incident, Hastings wrote in his memo.

"Many of us have worked closely with Jonathan for a long time, and have mixed emotions,” Hastings wrote. “Unfortunately, his lack of judgment in this area was too big for him to remain."

Friedland joined Netflix as vice president of communications in 2011 and assumed duties as chief communications officer the following year, Variety reported.

Netflix declined comment.

 

Trending - Most Read Stories