log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, November 03, 2017 @ 11:47 PM
— Netflix has issued a statement saying it is cutting ties with Kevin Spacey following multiple accusations of sexual harassment against him.
BuzzFeed News reported that the streaming giant said it will not be involved with “House of Cards” if Spacey remains involved. Spacey is a lead in the show and an executive producer.
The company also said it will not be releasing “Gore,” a movie starring Spacey.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film ‘Gore,’ which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”
Media Rights Capital, or MRC, the production company behind “House of Cards,” issued a statement soon after Netflix. The statement confirmed Spacey had been suspended from the series.
“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of ‘House of Cards,’ he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”
The statement comes after Anthony Rapp, a 46-year-old actor, told BuzzFeed News Spacey made a sexual advance on him when he was 14 years old and Spacey was 26.
Spacey issued a statement after the story was published, saying in part, “I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years.” He also came out as gay in the statement, which was criticized by many as an attempt to distract from Rapp’s allegation against him.
Shortly after Rapp’s interview was published, Netflix and MRC announced production on the sixth and final season of the show would halt until further notice. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the sixth season was in talks to be the final in the series since the summer.
Two episodes of season six have reportedly already been shot.
Since then, eight people who have worked on “House of Cards” have made claims that Spacey sexually harassed them. Three others -- a journalist, a 16-year-old boy interested in acting and a military adviser who worked on set on one of Spacey’s movies have come forward in a Friday BuzzFeed News report to allege sexual abuse.
An earlier report from THR said Spacey will likely be written out of the final season. Spacey plays Frank Underwood, an ambitious politician in Washington.
“They shut it down to figure out how to write him out,” an unnamed source told THR. Netflix declined to comment on the report.
Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 3:05 AM
— Morgan Freeman has issued another statement since eight women have come forward accusing him of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior.
On Thursday, CNN reported that eight women said that Freeman interacted inappropriately with women in varying work environments. The report said that people described a pattern of the behavior by Freeman while on set, while promoting movies and at Freeman’s production company.
After the report emerged, Freeman issued an apology, saying, “Anyone who knows me or has worked with me knows I am not someone who would intentionally offend or knowingly make anyone feel uneasy. I apologize to anyone who felt uncomfortable or disrespected — that was never my intent.”
Freeman’s full statement can be read below.
“I am devastated that 80 years of my life is at risk of being undermined, in the blink of an eye, by Thursday’s media reports. All victims of assault and harassment deserve to be heard. And we need to listen to them. But it is not right to equate horrific incidents of sexual assault with misplaced compliments or humor.
I admit that I am someone who feels a need to try to make women — and men — feel appreciated and at ease around me. As a part of that, I would often try to joke with and compliment women, in what I thought was a light-hearted and humorous way. Clearly I was not always coming across the way I intended. And that is why I apologized Thursday and will continue to apologize to anyone I might have upset, however unintentionally.
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 2:42 PM
— A preview for an upcoming episode of “Celebrity Family Feud” featuring Kanye West, Kim Kardashian West and the Kardashian family has been released with a premiere date.
Set to air in June, a preview for the season 4 premiere episode shows host Steve Harvey asking Kris Jenner and West to “name a reason you think Steve Harvey is a good kisser.”
“Lips,” West says, beating Jenner to the buzzer.
“I’m here to win, bro. I’m here to win,” West said.
The show was taped in February. Initially, the Kardashians were supposed to compete against Paris Hilton’s family, but they reportedly turned it down. Instead, West and Kardashian West were on a team with members of West’s family. Competing against them is Team Kardashian-Jenner, comprised of Kris Jenner, Kendall Jenner, Khloe Kardashian, Kris’ mother Mary Jo Campbell and Cici Bussey, one of their cousins.
Watch a preview clip for “Celebrity Family Feud” below. The episode premieres June 10.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 5:05 PM
— Ivanka Trump is defending tennis great Serena Williams and slamming Williams’ lack of seeding at the French Open, calling it a penalty for being pregnant.
“This is ridiculous,” Trump said on Twitter. “Serena Williams is a formidable athlete (best ever) and loving new mother. No person should ever be penalized professionally for having a child.”
This is ridiculous. @SerenaWilliams is a formidable athlete (best ever!) and loving new mother. No person should ever be penalized professionally for having a child! The #WTA should change this rule immediately. #FrenchOpen.https://t.co/W5jQ5aEUXm— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) May 24, 2018
French Open officials announced this week they would not give Williams a seeding based on the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) rankings. The 23-time Grand Slam champion and three-time French Open winner is ranked No. 453 by the WTA.
“This year again, tournament officials will establish the list and ranking of the women's seeds based on the WTA ranking,” French Tennis Federation officials aid in a statement to The Associated Press. “Consequently, (the seeds) will reflect this week's world ranking.”
“The WTA should change this rule immediately,” Trump said.
Ivanka Trump backs Serena Williams, slams French Open for lack of seeding https://t.co/Y4ooPzgkdi— USA Sport24 (@USASport24) May 25, 2018
Williams took 14 months off to have her first child and was No. 1 in the rankings at the last Grand Slam she played, the 2017 Australia Open, before taking time off to give birth in what turned out to be a difficult pregnancy, including six weeks of bed rest.
Without seeding at the French Open, Williams could potentially have a tough time in the early rounds, having to face top-ranked players right off the bat, instead of in later rounds.
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 8:58 AM
— Elizabeth Sung, who had a long career on the small and big screen, has died.
Sung may be most well known as her character as Luan Violen Abbott on “The Young and the Restless” soap opera. She was on the show in 1994 through 1996, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
She also appeared on the small screen in series across networks, including “Hawaii-Five-O,” “The Sopranos,” “Bones” and “Charmed.”
On the big screen, Sung starred in “The Joy Luck Club,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Lethal Weapon 4.”
She was born and raised in Hong Kong, studying ballet. She graduated from The Julliard School, according to the Hollywood Reporter.