Deadly Manchester blast after Ariana Grande concert: 5 things to know

Published: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 @ 5:55 AM
Updated: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

Man Arrested, Authorities Executing Search Warrants In Manchester Attack

A deadly blast after an Ariana Grande concert Monday night at England's Manchester Arena has killed at least 22 people and injured 119 others, authorities said.

Here's what we know so far: 

>> Police: At least 22 dead after explosion near Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

1. The explosion happened after Grande had left the stage and concertgoers were leaving. Witnesses reported hearing the explosion near the exit about 10:30 p.m. local time, The Associated Press reported.

“A huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone, and we were all trying to flee the arena,” Majid Khan, 22, told the AP. “It was one bang, and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit.”

2. Police have released the name of the man they think was behind the terrorist attack. Fox News reported that the suspected suicide bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, died at the scene after “detonating an improvised explosive device," according to authorities.

Police on Tuesday arrested Abedi’s brother, 23-year-old Ismail, BBC News reported. Greater Manchester police have made a total of six arrests in the case.

Anti-terror authorities in Libya said they have arrested Abedi’s brother, 18-year-old Hashim, and his father, Ramadan, in Tripoli. The AP reported that Hashim Abedi was taken into custody after he “confessed that both he and his brother were a part of the Islamic State group and that Hashim Abedi had been aware of the details of the attack.”

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the AP reported.

>> PHOTOS: Explosion, fatalities at Ariana Grande concert in England

3. Children were among the dead, police said. Meanwhile, families were searching for loved ones who attended the concert as more names of the dead were released. 

>> Manchester explosion: Here’s what we know about the victims

4. Grande said she was "broken" over the news. "From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words," tweeted the pop star, who was not hurt in the incident.

>> See the tweet here

>> Ariana Grande says she's 'broken' over deadly explosion after Manchester concert

Her management team announced on Wednesday that she was suspending her tour through June 5.

"Due to the tragic events in Manchester, the Dangerous Woman tour with Ariana Grande has been suspended until we can further assess the situation and pay our proper respects to those lost," Grande's management team said in a statement to ABC News. "We ask at this time that we all continue to support the city of Manchester and all those families affected by this cowardice and senseless act of violence."

Her manager, Scooter Braun, also issued a statement.

"Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack," he wrote.

>> Read more trending news

"We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers."

>> See the post here

5. President Donald Trump called those behind the attack "losers."

"So many young, beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life,” Trump said Tuesday in Bethlehem. “I won’t call (the attackers) monsters, because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them, from now on, losers because that’s what they are, they’re losers.”

>> Trump condemns 'evil losers' behind Manchester attack

>> Watch his remarks here

British Prime Minister Theresa May called the apparent attack “the worst ever to hit the north of England.”

“It is now beyond doubt the people of Manchester have fallen victim to a callous terrorist attack,” she said.

She added that authorities know the name of the suspected perpetrator but will not reveal his identity yet.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Madonna loses lawsuit to reclaim Tupac love letter, reports say

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 5:02 PM

Tupac Letter To Madonna Reveals He Broke Up With Her Over Race, Reports Say

A judge has denied Madonna’s request to reclaim of an old love letter she received from Tupac due to a release she signed nearly 15 years ago, reports say.

In 2017, the singer sued an auctioneer, Gotta Have It! Collectibles, and former art consultant Darlene Lutz over the sale of some personal items that went missing after she moved out her Miami home.

>> Read more trending news 

The songstress said she didn’t realize her possessions had been misplaced until the letter, a hairbrush containing her blonde locks and other memorabilia appeared in an auction in July 2017.

While Madonna was granted a temporary stay to block the auction last summer, Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Gerald Lebovits ultimately threw out her suit, citing a statute of limitations.

“Mere ignorance or lack of discovery of the wrong is not sufficient to toll the statute,” Lebovits wrote in the ruling, Page Six reported.

Related: Tupac letter to Madonna reveals he broke up with her over race, reports say

“The release language indicates the end of any relationship between the parties, including the broad waiver for any claims then ‘unknown and unsuspected,’” the decision said, according to The Wrap. “Plaintiff knew that throughout her relationship with Lutz, Lutz was in possession of various pieces of plaintiff’s personal property … Yet before this action began, plaintiff did not make any demand for the return of her possessions.”

“Plaintiff could have narrowed the scope of the settlement and broad waiver, but she did not do so. This action falls under the broad scope of the agreement’s waiver of claims. Thus, this court grants defendant’s motion to dismiss the complaint and denies plaintiff’s motion for injunctive relief.”

Madonna has lost a lawsuit over the auctioning of her items, which includes a letter she wrote to Tupac. (Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)(Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)

The judge discovered a 2004 settlement, where the pop star signed an agreement with Lutz that forfeited her right to retrieve her items. 

“Sophisticated parties having negotiated an extraordinarily broad release with their eyes open with the aid of counsel cannot later invalidate that release by claiming ignorance of the depth of their fiduciary’s misconduct,” Lebovits said.

Once Madonna’s previous hold is released, Lutz and the auctioneer will be able to proceed with the sale. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Who was Avicii, the electronic dance musician?

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 6:14 PM

Avicii Dead at 28

Avicii, one of the biggest names in dance music was found dead Friday in Oman, a Middle Eastern country.

>> Read more trending news 

“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” a statement from his publicist said. “He was found dead in Muscat, Oman this Friday afternoon local time, April 20th. The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time. No further statements will be given.”

Related: Swedish musician Avicii dead at 28

The DJ made hits collaborating with Rita Ora, Aloe Blacc, Madonna and others. Here are some things to know about the late artist.

He was born in Stockholm

Avicii was born in 1989 to Anki Liden, a Swedish actress, and Klas Bergling. According to a 2013 GQ profile, he got his start remixing songs and posting them on music blogs. His first DJ job was for a school prom.

“It’s been a very crazy journey.” Avicii told The Hollywood Reporter in 2016. “I started producing when I was 16. I started touring when I was 18. From that point on, I just jumped into it 100 percent.”

His DJ name was inspired by a friend

A GQ profile on Avicii revealed that a friend told him Avici was a level of Buddhist hell. From there, he took on the name but added an extra “i” because Avici was already taken on MySpace.

Avicii performs in 2013. Avicii died in April 2018. (Photo by Timothy Hiatt/Getty Images for Radio.com)(Timothy Hiatt/Getty Images for Radio.com)

He became mainstream with a song that sampled Etta James

Avicii’s 2011 song “Levels” samples Etta James’ “Something’s Got a Hold on Me.” The song was nominated for a Grammy and reached No. 2 on Billboard's hot dance/electronic songs and dance/mix show airplay chart.

His biggest hit set records

Avicii’s 2013 single “Wake Me Up”, which has vocals from  Aloe Blacc, spent 26 weeks at No. 1 on Billboard’s hot dance/electronic songs chart. It held the record for the longest weeks at the top spot until 2014, when The Chainsmokers’ “Closer” stayed No. 1 for 27 weeks. The song also topped the alternative songs, pop songs, adult pop songs and adult alternative songs charts. The music video for the song has more than 1 billion views on YouTube.

He retired from touring in 2016 due to health problems

“To me it was something I had to do for my health,” Avicii told The Hollywood Reporter. “The scene was not for me. It was not the shows and not the music. It was always the other stuff surrounding it that never came naturally to me. All the other parts of being an artist.”

His health problems included acute pancreatitis, which later led him to cancel shows in 2014 when he had his gallbladder and appendix removed.

Avicii still made music in the studio, releasing the EP “Avīci” in 2017.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Macaulay Culkin doesn’t watch ‘Home Alone’ much, won’t make iconic face

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 4:10 PM

Actor Macaulay Culkin did a rare TV interview on
Actor Macaulay Culkin did a rare TV interview on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" April 23. (Photo by Jason Kempin/Getty Images for Adult Swim)(Jason Kempin/Getty Images for Adult Swim)

If fans run into Macaulay Culkin and ask the star to make his signature “Home Alone” face, they’re going to be disappointed.

People reported that the actor, 37, who is best known as a child star who played Kevin McCallister in the 1990 holiday comedy says his notoriety makes him keep his head low around Christmas time.

>> Read more trending news 

“I definitely don’t (go out). It’s my season,” Culkin said on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” Monday. “It’s Macaulay season. I try to go out less and less around that time of year.”

Culkin said he doesn’t watch the film much at all, and when he does, he’s remembering how it was on set.

“I don’t really watch them all that often. I did, like, a 15-year anniversary DVD commentary and I realize I hadn’t seen it in, like, 15 years. ... It’s kind of background radiation at Christmas time,” he said.

“I can’t watch it the same way other people do.”

When fans ask him to recreate the “Home Alone” movie poster, he says no.

“I’ve already been there and done that,” he said. “I’m 37 now.”

Culkin also discussed his childhood stardom, growing up, his “Bunny Ears” podcast and his break away from the spotlight with DeGeneres.

Watch Culkin’s appearance on “Ellen” in the videos below.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, girlfriend Lauren Hashian welcome second child

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 2:55 PM

What You Need to Know: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and his girlfriend Lauren Hashian have welcomed a second daughter to their family.

Us Weekly reported that the action star announced the news in the form of an Instagram post. The image shows Johnson cradling his daughter, named Tiana Gia Johnson, as she rests on his bare chest.

>> Read more trending news 

“Blessed and proud to bring another strong girl into this world. Tiana Gia Johnson came into this world like a force of nature and Mama @laurenhashianofficial labored and delivered like a true rockstar,” Johnson captioned the Monday post. “I was raised and surrounded by strong, loving women all my life, but after participating in baby Tia’s delivery, it’s hard to express the new level of love, respect and admiration I have for @laurenhashianofficial and all mamas and women out there.”

Skin to skin. Our mana. Blessed and proud to bring another strong girl into this world. Tiana Gia Johnson came into this world like a force of nature and Mama @laurenhashianofficial labored and delivered like a true rockstar. I was raised and surrounded by strong, loving women all my life, but after participating in baby Tia’s delivery, it’s hard to express the new level of love, respect and admiration I have for @laurenhashianofficial and all mamas and women out there. Word to the wise gentlemen, it’s critical to be by your lady’s head when she’s delivering, being as supportive as you can.. holding hands, holding legs, whatever you can do. But, if you really want to understand the single most powerful and primal moment life will ever offer - watch your child being born. Its a life changer and the respect and admiration you have for a woman, will forever be boundless. And to my third and youngest daughter, Tiana Gia - like I did when your two older sisters Simone Alexandra and Jasmine Lia were born, you have my word, I’ll love, protect, guide and make ya laugh for the rest of my life. Your crazy dad has many responsibilities and wears many hats in this big ol’ world, but being your dad will always be the one I’m most proud to wear. Oh and one more thing.. you’re gonna love rollin’ in daddy’s pick up truck. #TianaGiaJohnson🌺 #3rdDaughter #BlessesAndGratefulMan #ImInTROUBLE

A post shared by therock (@therock) on

Tiana is the second daughter for Hashian, 33, and Johnson, 45. The couple, who have been together since 2007, have a 2-year-old daughter together named Jasmine Lia Johnson.

Johnson is also a father to 16-year-old Simone Alexandra Johnson from his marriage to Dany Garcia.

Johnson and Hashian announced they were expecting another child in December.

“Your crazy dad has many responsibilities and wears many hats in this big ol’ world, but being your dad will always be the one I’m most proud to wear,” Johnson wrote.

Trending - Most Read Stories