breaking news


Dayton man wins big on ‘Live with Kelly’ during sixth appearance

Published: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

Scott Walker from Dayton, Ohio, was Tuesday's Trivia Contest on Live with Kelly.

We might as well nickname Scott Walker “Winnie McLuckie.” 

The retired Dayton street maintenance worker has been called to play the “Live with Kelly” trivia contest a whopping six times in the past 11 years.

He’s won grand prize trips three of those times.

The part-time Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum security guard’s last victory came on the morning of March 14. 

>> MORE: You have to visit this spot at Woodland Cemetery

His seven-night, six-day trip to the all-inclusive Buccaneer resort in St Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands is valued at $9,500. 

LIVE with Kelly airs 9 a.m. Monday to Friday on WHIO-7.

Walker has been enjoying the ride, which has also included trips to St. Lucia and the Bahamas.

“It is just kind of surprising to to me that they keep calling,” Walker said. “It seems like they call every year or every two years.”

>> MORE: Ellen DeGeneres gives Dayton woman a surprise of a lifetime

This time around, Walker correctly guessed that actor Stanley Tucci made martinis for “Live” host Kelly Ripa and guest host Michael Weatherly of CBS’ “Bull.”

HOW DID HE WIN ALL THOSE TIMES?

Dayton resident Scott Walker took a trip he won to St. Lucia on Live! with Kelly in January. Photo: Scott Walker(Photo: Scott Walker)

Since retiring, entering to be on the contest and watching and recording the show has been part of his routine.

“It is almost like an addiction,” he said.

If  “Live with Kelly” happens to call -- as it has those 11 times -- Walker reviews his recording and takes notes. 

He noted that the contest often relates to the show’s first guest. 

>> MORE: Why Ellen DeGeneres loves Dayton

Walker won a trip to St. Lucia  on “Live!” last year, and went on that trip alone in January after his companion could not make the trip. He said he made friends and had a great time.

He and his now-late wife Connie went on the trip he won to the Bahamas.

“She always called it her happy place,” Walker said.

Walker is also a frequent K99.1FM contest winner. 

Like this news organization, K99.1FM  is a Cox Media Group Company.   

Scott Walker and his late wife Connie took a trip to the Bamahas in 2013 that he won on Live! with Kelly. Photo: Scott Walker.(Photo: Scott Walker.)

>> MORE: Regis Philbin talks about his broken relationship with former co-host Kelly Ripa on 'Larry King Now'

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Judge forces David Copperfield to reveal 'Lucky #13' magic trick

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 7:09 AM

What You Need To Know: David Copperfield

David Copperfield was forced to shatter his most famous illusion.

>> Read more trending news

The famed magician was ordered in court Tuesday to break the Magicians Oath in court Tuesday, the BBC reported. A judge ordered Copperfield to explain one of his most famous tricks -- the Lucky #13 -- during a trial involving a man who claimed he was injured during the stunt.

British tourist Gavin Cox, 58, filed a negligence lawsuit against the illusionist, Time reported. Cox claimed he fell while participating in the Lucky #13 trick at the MGM Grand Resort and Casino in Las Vegas in 2013, the BBC reported. In the trick, Copperfield makes 13 audience members, chosen at random, disappear on stage and then reappear at the back of the room, the BBC reported. 

Cox told NBC News that he has suffered chronic pain and brain injury and has spent more than $400,000 on medical bills.

Copperfield’s attorney argued that revealing the secret would be financially detrimental, but a Las Vegas district court ruled against the magician

A Las Vegas district court rejected Copperfield’s defense, which argued that disclosing the secret behind the trick would be financially detrimental to him. He was ordered to explain how the trick was done.

Spoiler alert: Copperfield’s executive producer testified that when the curtain falls, the 13 volunteers are taken through passageways that circle the MGM building. They exit the building and then re-enter at the back of the theater, Time reported.

“There was a duty by the defendants to provide a safe environment to the audience participants,” Cox’s lawyer, Benedict Morelli, said in the opening statements.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kanye West announces new albums, release dates on Twitter

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

What You Need to Know: Kanye West

Kanye West has been doing a lot of tweeting lately, teasing a philosophy book and sharing his thoughts on life and creativity.

His latest set of tweets, however, is about music.

>> Read more trending news 

The rapper, husband and father of three announced two new albums.

One album, called “Kids See Ghost,” will be a joint effort with Kid Cudi,  who is signed to West’s GOOD Music label  imprint. The name of the album is also the name of West and Cudi’s group.

“Kids See Ghost” will be out June 8.

“Me and Cudi album June 8th,’ West tweeted. “It’s called Kids See Ghost. That's the name of our group.” 

Before the release of that album, West will release his own seven-track album June 1.

“My album is 7 songs,” he tweeted. “June 1st.”

West also announced the release dates for albums from other artists on GOOD Music. Teyana Taylor’s album will be out June 22 and Pusha T has a release May 25.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dayton police, Limp Bizkit tweet statements about Limp Bizkit at Sunoco

Published: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 @ 2:55 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 @ 2:55 PM

The Dayton Police Department took to Twitter in response to claims made on a Facebook event page that Limp Bizkit will play a concert Thursday, April 20 at the Sunoco at Keowee St. and Wayne Avenue. 

"These ads are False," the department says. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

CEO of MGA Entertainment makes formal offer to buy Toys R Us

Published: Sunday, April 15, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

MGA Entertainment CEO Isaac Larian Makes Offer To Buy 'Toys R Us'

The man who brought Bratz to the toy market said Friday that he entered a formal offer of $890 million to buy many of the Toys R Us stores in the United States and Canada, CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

Isaac Larian, the CEO of MGA Entertainment, said he entered a formal offer of $675 million to buy 274 Toys R Us stores in the United States and $215 million to acquire 82 stores in Canada, CNN reported.

Larian said he would use his own money for the bid, along with financing from banks and additional investors, according to a news release.

“The liquidation of Toys R Us is going to have a long-term effect on the toy business. The industry will truly suffer,” Larian said in the statement. "The prospect of bringing the Toys R Us experience to a new generation, my new grandson's generation, is enough to motivate me to Save (sic) Toys R Us.”

Toys R Us declined to comment, CNN reported.

Larian already tried to buy the chain of toy stores through a GoFundMe campaign. Toys R Us filed for bankruptcy last fall and said in March that it would shut down or sell its U.S. stores, CNN reported.

According to his statement, Larian said he wants to transform Toys R Us stores into a “mini-Disneyland.”

"We will make Toys R Us an experience in and of itself; a fun and engaging place where families can spend an entire day," Larian said. "Imagine a mini-Disneyland in each neighborhood."

Trending - Most Read Stories