log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 @ 4:40 PM
— Melanie Martinez may have impressed judges when she appeared on season three of “The Voice” in 2012, but what she’s making headlines for in 2017 is less than positive.
In a lengthy and graphic statement posted on Twitter, Timothy Heller accused Martinez, 22, of performing sexual acts on her despite her protests.
Heller told her followers that her “best friend” Martinez had repeatedly asked her to have sex when the pair shared a bed during sleepovers. According to Heller, she rejected the offers over the course of several nights making different excuses, including that she had a boyfriend, until one evening when Martinez kept asking to touch her and, she said, went on to rape her.
Heller wrote, “The bottom line that I need to always remind myself is that: I said no. For TWO NIGHTS STRAIGHT.”
“If you begin to doubt the abuse taking place in this story, I beg you to imagine her role in this being a man,” Heller wrote. “Girls can rape girls. Best friends can rape best friends. Friendship does not equal consent. Silence doesn’t equal consent. I wish it wasn’t so hard for me to convince myself of these things.”
Following the accusation, Martinez took to Twitter to issue a response, claiming that any and all contact between the women had been consensual.
“I am horrified and saddened by the statements and story told by Timothy Heller,” the singer said. “What she and I shared was a close friendship. We tried to help each other. We both had pain in dealing with our individual demons. She never said no to what we chose to do together. And although we parted ways, I am sending her love and light always.”
Actress Abigail Breslin was one of many who responded online to the statement, slamming Martinez for her “unacceptable response.”
“Not saying no doesn’t mean yes. But for the record, she did and has stressed that numerous times,” Breslin tweeted. “Shame on you for this disgusting reply that contributes to the victim blaming culture we live in.”
Melanie this is a completely unacceptable response. Not saying no doesn’t mean yes. But for the record, she did and has stressed that numerous times. Shame on you for this disgusting reply that contributes to the victim culture we live in. @MelanieLBBH https://t.co/4nxCbxzofh— Abigail Breslin (@yoabbaabba) December 5, 2017
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 3:37 PM
— She didn’t wear combat boots — and maybe that made all the difference.
Amelia Robinson chatted with actress Sherri Saum for the latest episode of the What Had Happened Was podcast.
The world knows Saum best for her role as Lena Adams Foster on the groundbreaking TV show “The Fosters,” but many in these parts know her best as the daughter of former “Dayton Daily News” copy editor Lois Saum of Kettering.
Amelia and Sherri chat about Sherri’s upbringing in Kettering and how her fashion magazines weren’t exactly safe at Fairmont High School.
They also dished about the Fosters (and what Sherri is doing now), the parking situation in Dayton and the general hotness of Sherri’s husband, Kamar de los Reyes of “One Life to Live” fame.
Amelia’s grandma Nellie, a major “One Live to Live fan,” would be proud.
WHERE TO LISTEN & SUBSCRIBE
If you like what you hear, rate this podcast.
ABOUT THE PODCAST
“What Had Happened Was” is a podcast for Dayton, powered by Dayton.com. You won't believe the stories that come from right here. Host Amelia Robinson shares the best tales from the Gem City, Land of Funk and Birthplace of Aviation: Dayton, Ohio.
This podcast is brought to you by Cox Digital Marketing.
CATCH UP ON PAST EPISODES
EPISODE 6: Sweet sticky things with John “Turk” Logan
EPISODE 5: Watch for 10,000 ‘leprechauns’
EPISODE 4: The Yellow Springs vagina tree’s knobby side
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 4:19 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The funeral for fashion designer Kate Spade will be held in her hometown of Kansas City, Missouri.
The Kansas City Star reported that a funeral Mass will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Redemptorist Church.
According to Spade’s father, Frank Brosnahan, the funeral will be in the same church where her grandparents were married.
Spade, who co-founded the fashion brand Kate Spade New York with her husband, Andy Spade, died by suicide at age 55 in New York.
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 10:38 AM
LOS ANGELES — Actress Eva Longoria and her husband, media mogul José Bastón, welcomed their first child together Tuesday, June 19.
Giving the first photo of her son to HOLA! USA, the actress can be seen cradling Santiago Enrique Bastón. He was born at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles weighing 6 pounds and 13 ounces.
“We are so grateful for this beautiful blessing,” the couple told the publication.
WORLD EXCLUSIVE! Say hola to #EvaLongoria’s son Santiago Enrique Bastón! 💙 ¡Eva Longoria ya es mamá! 🙌🏻 En exclusiva mundial para #HOLAUSA Eva comparte la primera foto de su bebé. Todos los detalles en nuestra web. Link en bio y stories. #itsaboy #congrats #babynews #socute #PepeBastón Foto: @usahola
Throughout her pregnancy, the 43-year-old actress stayed busy. Posts on her Instagram page show her at various events and working on multiple projects. During that time, she also got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and had to say goodbye to her beloved dog, Jinxy, June 14.
So the day I’ve been dreading happened last night. Jinxy passed away in my arms at the vet. He had a stroke that he just couldn’t come back from. He was 15 years old (96 in dog years) and he filled those years with lots of love and laughter. He was my baby before this baby in my belly came along. I’m so sad but know that he’s out of his suffering. Anyone who knew me, knew Jinxy. He will be missed by many. I love you Jinxy 💔
Longoria confirmed her pregnancy in December, when she was four months along.
Santiago is the first child for Longoria. Bastón, 50, president of Televisa, the largest media company in Latin America, has three children of his own from an earlier marriage.
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 4:00 PM
CAMDEN, N.J. — New Jersey is honoring native son and award-winning celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain with a “food trail” of his favorite New Jersey restaurants.
Although the popular writer, storyteller and host of CNN’s Emmy-winning “Parts Unknown” was born in New York, according to his biography, Bourdain grew up in Leonia, New Jersey, and spent his summers at the Jersey shore.
Bourdain, 61, was found dead almost two weeks ago in his luxury hotel room in Kaysersberg, France, while working on an episode of “Parts Unknown.” The medical examiner ruled his death a suicide.
Fans around the world were grief-stricken with news of his death, including those in New Jersey.
Camden Assemblyman Paul Moriarty wanted to find a way to honor the renowned globetrotter and proposed an official Anthony Bourdain Food Trail that would include the 10 restaurants he visited during a 2015 episode of “Parts Unknown,” according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
The proposed trail, which the state’s Division of Travel and Tourism would need to establish, would include “Kubel’s in Barnegat Light, Hiram’s Roadstand in Fort Lee, Knife & Fork, Dock’s Oyster House, Tony’s Baltimore Grill, and James’ Salt Water Taffy in Atlantic City, Tony and Ruth Steaks and Donkey’s Place in Camden, Lucille’s Country Cooking in Barnegat, and Frank’s Deli in Asbury Park,” the Inquirer reported.
Moriarty called Bourdain a New Jersey food icon and said the state should create a food trail as a way to honor him.
“There’s no question that Anthony’s road to fame was not an easy one,” Moriarty said in a statement, according to the newspaper.
“Even after international fame, he never forgot his Jersey roots. Each episode, Bourdain brought his homegrown wit, charm, and sense of humanity to his viewers,” he said.