R&B star R. Kelly’s metro Atlanta mansions emptied while singer was touring

Published: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 @ 8:21 PM

R. Kelly Fast Facts

Georgia authorities are investigating a theft at rapper R. Kelly’s two metro Atlanta homes. Police have identified a suspect they said stole everything inside the two homes and sold it off.

>> Read more trending news

The Grammy Award-winning singer’s homes in Johns Creek were entirely cleaned out during the burglaries in November -- from couches to tables and even the singer’s diamond-encrusted hoodie.

Johns Creek Police Captain Chris Byers said when officers checked both of Kelly’s homes, they found everything missing.

"Many televisions. Furnishings. We're talking about couches, chairs, tables,” Byers said.

Neighbors said they saw suspicious trucks at the homes for about a week. Then last week, neighbor Mark Gibson said another truck showed up, and so did police. 

"They blocked the guy in,” Gibson said. “One of the guys got out with his gun drawn."

"Ultimately led them to an individual that they say hired them that works for Mr. Kelly's organization,” Byers said. “They were told he was moving his organization out of Atlanta back to Chicago and was selling off all of his belongings."

>> Related: Angelina Jolie talks Brad Pitt, says last film together may have mirrored relationship

Byers said Alfonso Walker was, in fact, selling each room of Kelly's homes to the highest bidder.

"They wouldn't sell an individual item for a certain price, but say a bedroom for $6,000,” Byers said.

R. Kelly performs during the Buffet Tour at Allstate Arena on May 7, 2016 in Chicago, Illinois.  (Daniel Boczarski/Getty Images)

Byers said Walker, 50, is now on the run.

"One of the indications he made was that he was owed some money and this was his way of getting it back,” Byers said.

Gibson said the whole situation is surprising.

"I didn't even know who was living there to be honest,” Gibson said. “We didn't know if there was anything inside there to steal.”

Police said Walker was planning to turn himself into police Tuesday, but that didn't happen.

>> Related: Twitter celebrates Time’s choice of ‘silence breakers’ as Person of the Year

He's facing a number of charges, including burglary and theft by deception.

Kelly’s representative did return requests for comments.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Swedish musician Avicii dead at 28

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

Avicii Dead at 28

Swedish DJ Avicii was found dead Friday in Oman, his publicist confirmed. He was 28.

>> Read more trending news

Trending - Most Read Stories

Judge forces David Copperfield to reveal 'Lucky #13' magic trick

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 7:09 AM

What You Need To Know: David Copperfield

David Copperfield was forced to shatter his most famous illusion.

>> Read more trending news

The famed magician was ordered in court Tuesday to break the Magicians Oath in court Tuesday, the BBC reported. A judge ordered Copperfield to explain one of his most famous tricks -- the Lucky #13 -- during a trial involving a man who claimed he was injured during the stunt.

British tourist Gavin Cox, 58, filed a negligence lawsuit against the illusionist, Time reported. Cox claimed he fell while participating in the Lucky #13 trick at the MGM Grand Resort and Casino in Las Vegas in 2013, the BBC reported. In the trick, Copperfield makes 13 audience members, chosen at random, disappear on stage and then reappear at the back of the room, the BBC reported. 

Cox told NBC News that he has suffered chronic pain and brain injury and has spent more than $400,000 on medical bills.

Copperfield’s attorney argued that revealing the secret would be financially detrimental, but a Las Vegas district court ruled against the magician

A Las Vegas district court rejected Copperfield’s defense, which argued that disclosing the secret behind the trick would be financially detrimental to him. He was ordered to explain how the trick was done.

Spoiler alert: Copperfield’s executive producer testified that when the curtain falls, the 13 volunteers are taken through passageways that circle the MGM building. They exit the building and then re-enter at the back of the theater, Time reported.

“There was a duty by the defendants to provide a safe environment to the audience participants,” Cox’s lawyer, Benedict Morelli, said in the opening statements.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Actors Rachel Weisz, Daniel Craig expecting first child

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig are expecting their first child together. (Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)
Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig are expecting their first child together. (Photo by Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)(Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images)

Actor Rachel Weisz has announced that she and her husband, James Bond actor Daniel Craig, are expecting their first child.

The actress revealed the news when she spoke to The New York Times to promote her movie “Disobedience.”

>> Read more trending news 

“I’ll be showing soon. Daniel and I are so happy,” she told The Times. “We’re going to have a little human. We can’t wait to meet him or her. It’s all such a mystery.”

Weisz, 48, and Craig, 50, have been married for seven years and are very private about their personal lives, but Weisz did share that she is happy in her marriage.

“I’m very happy being married,” she said, “Very, very happy,”

Although Weisz applauds celebrity couples who have made their relationships part of their brand, that’s not the case for her marriage

“Daniel and I are really similar. We just literally don’t know how to do that,” Weisz said. “We’re just really crap at talking about our private lives.”

This is the second child for each actor. E! News reported that Weisz has an 11-year-old son with director Darren Aronofsky and Craig has a 25-year-old daughter with actress Fiona London.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Destiny’s Child singer Michelle Williams engaged to pastor Chad Johnson

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:20 PM

Getting To Know Michelle Williams

Former Destiny’s Child singer Michelle Williams is getting married.

The 37-year-old singer is engaged to pastor Chad Johnson, 40, after a year of dating.

Williams and Johnson opened up to People about their love story, which began in March 2017 at a spiritual retreat hosted by Elevate International.

>> Read more trending news 

Johnson, founder of Elevate International, led the retreat in Arizona and said he and Williams were in “very similar places on a personal level.”

“I was in a horrible, dark place,” Williams said. “I just needed to go somewhere where I could get a message of hope and restoration, rejuvenation — get connected to God.”

“Michelle was coming off the heels of a really bad relationship, and I was just in a place of despair as well,” Johnson, a professional sports chaplain who has worked with the Pittsburgh Steelers and L.A. Dodgers, said.

The two kept in touch after the retreat and progressed from texts to FaceTime calls.

“We spent almost three months without even seeing each other, just building a strong foundation on the phone and through FaceTime,” Johnson told People. “It was really built on friendship and communication.”

The two went on their first date at a wedding in the Dominican Republic, had their first kiss and decided to date officially.

“I told her, ‘I’ve been looking. I don’t want to look anymore. I’m done. My search is over,’” Johnson said.

A year to the day Johnson first reached out to Williams -- on March 21 -- the two got engaged. Johnson proposed with a 5-carat ring and a video of himself with members of Williams’ family.

“I started weeping and wailing when I see all these special people,” Williams said. “Towards the end of the video, something in my head said, ‘Pull yourself together! He’s about to propose! Stop all this crying!’”

Williams said she was drawn to her now-fiance because she could be herself with him, adding that Johnson calls her by her first name.

“My first name is Tenitra; my middle name is Michelle. I felt like I could be Tenitra; just ratchet, I didn’t have to have on any makeup, if I had to have on my hair bonnet — he just made me feel very safe in being myself,” she said.

The two plan on having a wedding this summer.

“It’s gonna be … think James Bond-meets-’Midsummer Night’s Dream’ — with a little hood in it,” Williams said. “It’s gonna be very traditional. We’re doing black-tie. We want it to be small and intimate and very private.”

Find out more about Johnson’s proposal and the couple’s love story at People.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories