Charlie Rose fired from CBS amid sexual harassment allegations; PBS cuts ties with newsman

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 12:38 PM
Updated: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 @ 1:40 PM

CBS, PBS Suspend Charlie Rose Over Sexual Harassment Claims

Update 1:45 p.m. Nov. 21: PBS announced Tuesday that it is ending its relationship with award-winning journalist Charlie Rose in the wake of allegations that he sexually harassed women working on, or aspiring to work on, his self-titled PBS show.

"In light of yesterday's revelations, PBS has terminated its relationship with Charlie Rose and cancelled distribution of his programs," network officials said Tuesday in a statement. "PBS expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect."

PBS officials had earlier announced that they were pulling his self-titled show after eight women claimed that they were sexually harassed by Rose between the 1990s and 2011. Bloomberg also pulled his show.

Content Continues Below

Earlier Tuesday, CBS News announced that Rose was being dismissed in light of the allegations.

Rose has apologized for the incidents, but added that he doesn’t “believe that all of these allegations are accurate.”

Update 12:31 p.m. Nov. 21: CBS News has fired Charlie Rose in the wake of allegations that the well-known journalist made unwanted sexual advances and groped women who worked or aspired to work on his self-titled PBS show between the 1990s and 2011.

“Despite Charlie's important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace -- a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work,” CBS News President David Rhodes wrote Tuesday in a memo sent to staff members. “We need to be such a place.”

Eight women told The Washington Post that Rose “made unwanted sexual advances toward them, including lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.”

The women ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged encounters.

Rose apologized for his behavior in a statement on Monday.

"I am greatly embarrassed," he wrote. "I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realized I was mistaken.”

Both PBS and Bloomberg pulled Rose’s self-titled show in the wake of the allegations.

Original report: CBS News and PBS have suspended award-winning journalist Charlie Rose after allegations from eight women that the longtime talk show host and host of “CBS This Morning” sexually harassed them dating back to the 1990s until 2011, according to the Washington Post.

>> Read more trending news

“Charlie Rose is suspended immediately while we look into this matter. These allegations are extremely disturbing and we take them very seriously,” a CBS  spokesperson said in a written statement, the Post reported.

Rose, 75, made unwanted sexual advances and allegedly groped women who worked on his show “Charlie Rose The Week,” which aired on PBS, but was produced by an independent company, and Bloomberg TV. He’s also accused of appearing naked in front of some of the women.

Both PBS and Bloomberg have pulled his show.

“PBS was shocked to learn today of these deeply disturbing allegations. We are immediately suspending distribution of ‘Charlie Rose,'” a PBS spokesperson said in a statement, according to the Huffington Post.

>> Related: Former Boston news anchor accusing Kevin Spacey of assaulting her son, in latest allegation

“PBS does not fund this nightly program or supervise its production, but we expect our producers to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect.”

The women involved in the accusations against Rose ranged in age from 21 to 37 at the time of the alleged incidents.

Rose issued an apology on Twitter, calling his behavior “inappropriate .”

“I am greatly embarrassed. I have behaved insensitively at times, and I accept responsibility for that, though I do not believe that all of these allegations are accurate. I always felt that I was pursuing shared feelings, even though I now realize I was mistaken,” he said.

Rose is the latest in a string of powerful men publicly accused of inappropriate behavior toward women over the past three decades, beginning last month with rape accusations and sexual harassment allegations against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein.

>> Related: 3 women accuse Harvey Weinstein of rape: report

Also on Monday, New York Times reporter Glenn Thrush was suspended after a report that he behaved inappropriately with female journalists.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Destiny’s Child singer Michelle Williams checks in to mental health facility, reports say

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 7:13 PM

Getting To Know Michelle Williams

Destiny’s Child star Michelle Williams has reportedly checked herself into a mental health facility, TMZ reports.

Williams posted a letter to her fans on her Instagram page on Tuesday.

“I recently listened to the same advice I have given thousands around the world and sought help from a great team of professionals,” Williams posted.

Content Continues Below

Sources told TMZ that Williams is receiving treatment at a facility near Los Angeles.

Williams has been open about her struggles with depression, revealing her story in an interview on “The Talk” last year.

>> Read more trending news 

Williams recently reunited with Destiny’s Child members Beyonce and Kelly Rowland at Coachella in April.

It was the first time the group has performed together in several years.

Trending - Most Read Stories

'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn fired over offensive tweets

Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 7:04 PM

‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Director James Fired Over Offensive Tweets

The director of the successful “Guardians of the Galaxy” movies, James Gunn, has been fired from the franchise’s third installment over offensive tweets about pedophilia and rape.

>> Read more trending news 

The shocking tweets, which had been taken down, aren’t new and Gunn had apologized for them in the past, but conservative media personalities resurfaced the posts from 2008 - 2011 this week, causing a backlash against Gunn, who has been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump.

Content Continues Below

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement Friday, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Gunn also issued a statement Friday, saying he’s a “very, very different” person than he was a few years ago and that he’s “developed as a person” since he posted the offensive tweets.

"My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative," he said. "I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don't reflect the person I am today or have been for some time."

“I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore,” he said.

>> Related: Disney: ′Star Wars Clone Wars′ will be back, announcement made at San Diego Comic Con

Gunn was fired before a scheduled appearance Friday at Comic-Con International: San Diego.

He was still writing the script for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and was expected to start shooting the movie this fall in Atlanta.

Disney and Marvel Studios saw huge successes with the “Guardian” movies, with the first one making more than $773 million and the second raking in $863, according to THR.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Wu-Tang Clan member gives monster shout-out to Dayton bar’s warning to ‘parents and prudes’

Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 8:51 AM

A sign posted at Barrel House warns parents and prudes that unedited hip hop will be played  for Wu Tang (Clan) Wednesdays.
A sign posted at Barrel House warns parents and prudes that unedited hip hop will be played for Wu Tang (Clan) Wednesdays.

If you need proof that a downtown Dayton business ain’t nothing to (bleep) with, turn to RZA’s Facebook page. 

The member of the legendary hip-hop squad Wu-Tang Clan gave The Barrel House, 417 E. Third St. in downtown Dayton, a shout-out for the record books on Friday night. 

>> Downtown business issues warning to ‘parents and prudes’ about new weekly event

Content Continues Below

As we first told you in December,  the bar’s owners, Gus Stathes and his  fiancée Sara Levin, are major Wu-Tang fans.

They launched Wu-Tang Wednesdays with the following posted warning:

“Dear Parents and Prudes, 

We will be playing unedited hip hop all day today for Wu-Tang Wednesday. Due to the nature of the music, there may be language which may offend you or your kids. 

Unless of course you take parenting advice from Ol’ Dirty Bastard, in which case — WU-TANG IS FOR THE CHILDREN.”


 

>> Local breweries join together to form ‘Dayton Ale Trail’ passport — and there’s a reward at the end

The Barrel House’s notice somehow made it to RZA and he responded by posting a photo of the Barrel House’s  sign on his official Facebook page with the  sentence “Wu Tang is for the children.”

>> ‘Dayton beer royalty’ getting hitched. Prost! Cheers! Sláinte!

Bobby Steelz, aka RZA, performs with Banks and Steelz on the second weekend of the 2016 Austin City Limits Music Festival. RZA is a guest on Elizabeth McQueen’s podcast, “This Song.” He and musical partner, Interpol singer Paul Banks, talk about the impact of Leonard Cohen. Tom McCarthy Jr. for AMERICAN-STATESMAN(Tom McCarthy Jr.)

Sara Levin and Gus Stathes, owners of The Barrel House in downtown Dayton. SUBMITTED(Staff Writer)

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Real Housewives’ star Luann de Lesseps arrested for battery on a cop, disorderly intoxication 

Published: Sunday, December 24, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

WATCH: ‘Real Housewives’ Star Arrested for Battery on a Cop

UPDATE, Dec. 25: 

Luann de Lesseps, 52 and a star of “The Real Housewives of New York City,”  will be released without bond from Palm Beach County Jail, a judge ruled Sunday.

>> Read more trending news 

Content Continues Below

De Lesseps slammed a door and kicked at least one police officer, said an assistant state’s attorney.

“I’m going to kill you all,” the state’s attorney said De Lesseps told people prior to her arrest.

De Lesseps, who has no prior offenses, will be allowed to go back to New York, Judge Ted Booras ruled.

Booras, acknowledging De Lesseps’ celebrity, said she should hire a criminal defense attorney from Palm Beach, Florida, instead of ignoring the charges.

“I don’t think it would be that hard to find you,” he said.

De Lesseps was advised by Booras not to incriminate herself and respond to him when he said she might have a drinking problem.

“Don’t say anything,” he told the reality star.

ORIGINAL STORY, Dec. 24: 

Luann de Lesseps, a Real Housewives of New York City reality starwas arrested by Palm Beach police Sunday morning.

The 52-year-old was arrested on charges of battery on an officer, disorderly intoxication, resisting arrest with violence and crimes against a person.

She was taken to Palm Beach County Jail at 1:25 a.m.

Luann de Lesseps of "The Real Housewives of New York" was arrested by Palm Beach, Florida, police Dec. 24.(Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office)

De Lesseps is a former wife of Count Alexandre de Lesseps and retained the French royal title after their 2009 divorce until her remarriage in 2016. She was married to Tom D’Agostino Jr. until earlier this year.

Trending - Most Read Stories