log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 12:56 PM
LAS VEGAS — The 2018 Billboard Music Awards will honor artists selected by performance on the Billboard Charts. The three-hour show, named after the music industry chart that tabulates popularity of music in the United States, is airing for the first time on NBC live from MGM Grand Garden Arena.
Here’s what you need to know about the BBMAs.
When: May 20 at 8 p.m. EDT. The show is airing live coast to coast.
What channel: NBC
Who is hosting: Kelly Clarkson
Who is performing: Ariana Grande is the BBMAs opening act, giving her first awards show performance since the Manchester Arena attack just after her concert May 22. Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato are performing a new duet together from Aguilera’s first album in six years. Clarkson will pause hosting duties to perform as well. Other performers include Ed Sheeran, Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes, John Legend, Zedd, Maren Morris, Grey, Dua Lipa, BTS and Janet Jackson.
Who is nominated: Janet Jackson is the year’s Icon Award recipient. Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars each have 15 BBMA nominations, including top artist. Post Malone has 12 nominations and Imagine Dragons has 11 nominations. Other nominees include Cardi B, Drake, Taylor Swift, Camilla Cabello, J. Balvin, Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande and Charlie Puth.
The full list of nominees and categories is at BillboardMusicAwards.com.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 5:18 AM
GREENVILLE, S.C. — A dentist in Greenville, South Carolina, is inspiring millions to get their teeth cleaned after taking on the Drake-inspired “In My Feelings” dance challenge.
Dr. Rich Constantine’s version of the “shiggy” -- a dance inspired by the rapper -- has over 24 million views on Facebook.
Over 100,000 people have commented on the video since it was posted Thursday.
“I have 12 wisdom teeth that need to be pulled, and I think my baby teeth trying to come back, and I swear my k 9s have become L 2's ( whatever that might mean) I just need an appt immediately, yesterday, right now!” one user said.
“I just ordered a pound of gummy bears and washing it down with fruit punch,” another woman commented. “Cavity Watch 2018!! I never wanted one so bad!”
“I found myself looking for his wedding ring, then I remembered that I’m married,” another said.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 8:51 AM
— If you need proof that a downtown Dayton business ain’t nothing to (bleep) with, turn to RZA’s Facebook page.
The member of the legendary hip-hop squad Wu-Tang Clan gave The Barrel House, 417 E. Third St. in downtown Dayton, a shout-out for the record books on Friday night.
As we first told you in December, the bar’s owners, Gus Stathes and his fiancée Sara Levin, are major Wu-Tang fans.
They launched Wu-Tang Wednesdays with the following posted warning:
“Dear Parents and Prudes,
We will be playing unedited hip hop all day today for Wu-Tang Wednesday. Due to the nature of the music, there may be language which may offend you or your kids.
Unless of course you take parenting advice from Ol’ Dirty Bastard, in which case — WU-TANG IS FOR THE CHILDREN.”
The Barrel House’s notice somehow made it to RZA and he responded by posting a photo of the Barrel House’s sign on his official Facebook page with the sentence “Wu Tang is for the children.”
Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 7:04 PM
The shocking tweets, which had been taken down, aren’t new and Gunn had apologized for them in the past, but conservative media personalities resurfaced the posts from 2008 - 2011 this week, causing a backlash against Gunn, who has been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump.
"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement Friday, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Gunn also issued a statement Friday, saying he’s a “very, very different” person than he was a few years ago and that he’s “developed as a person” since he posted the offensive tweets.
"My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative," he said. "I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don't reflect the person I am today or have been for some time."
“I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore,” he said.
Gunn was fired before a scheduled appearance Friday at Comic-Con International: San Diego.
He was still writing the script for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and was expected to start shooting the movie this fall in Atlanta.
Disney and Marvel Studios saw huge successes with the “Guardian” movies, with the first one making more than $773 million and the second raking in $863, according to THR.
1. Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
3. In the past, I have apologized for humor of mine that hurt people. I truly felt sorry and meant every word of my apologies.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 3:24 PM
— Willie Nelson’s newest album will be one of Frank Sinatra covers.
Rolling Stone reported that the 85-year-old country music and songwriting icon will release “My Way” Sept. 14. It will be the second album he’s released this year. He released “Last Man Standing” in April.
Nelson and the late Sinatra were good friends, having appeared in a TV spot for NASA in the 1980s. He first heard Sinatra at 10 years old, when he appeared on the radio show “Your Hit Parade.”
In an interview in the June/July issue of AARP magazine, Wilson said he learned from Sinatra.
“I learned a lot about phrasing listening to Frank,” Nelson said. “He didn’t worry about behind the beat or in front of the beat, or whatever — he could sing it either way, and that’s the feel you have to have.”
Before the release of the album, which contains songs made famous by Sinatra, fans can watch the music video for Wilson’s cover of “Summer Wind.”